Sunday 9th August, waiting for the tide!

Maxwellian

What's really needed is that much missed publication Hamilton's Guide. If only someone could resurrect it. I purchased my copy around 2002 and found it so useful. I think the 20 year flood alleviation project had much to do with its demise, but that work seems to be coming to an end now, so surely an opportune time to recreate it? 

What's really needed is that much missed publication Hamilton's Guide. If only someone could resurrect it. I purchased my copy around 2002 and found it so useful. I think the 20 year flood alleviation project had much to do with its demise, but that work seems to be coming to an end now, so surely an opportune time to recreate it? 

Jamie Campbell, who wrote Hamilton's said , back in 2009, that it just wasn't financially viable anymore to publish it.

I believe Jamie Campbell has sold the rights to Hamilton's to someone who had all good intentions but never managed to fulfil them. Hamilton's was never a money spinner, however it would probably suit a continual cruiser who has the time to cover the whole network over the course of a few months to update it and self publish.

Hylander, the problem with the 2001 edition is the flood defence work has pretty much rendered it useless, however as a historical publication it would still be a good read. I have a number of previous editions just so that I could look back and compare how things have changed.

Yes and how the Broads has changed.    It is never the same twice, be it the time of the year with the seasonal changes or the disappearance of some of the favourite informal moorings that we have all grown to love over the years.   I suppose it is progress (:norty:) but that is in the eyes of the beholder I guess.     Flood Alleviation of course is essential as a the South West found out last year to its cost.   Do you recall all of those months that the fields and homes were being pumped out. Now that is something we dont ever want here.

I am not familiar with Hamiltons guide but am guessing it had info on places to moor etc on the Broads?

call me a cynic (I've been called worse) but do any of you really think a lot of the people who get into trouble would read it?

i am trying to be a realist here and not an antagonist but it would simply be another thing they wouldn't look at. 

Now for the likes of many people on the forum I am sure it would be a worthwhile addition to our boating reading.  

I looked carefully at the Photos before posting, no one is in sight and I could not see any indentifier on the boat. People need to be aware of the dangers. Happy for others to have different opinions to me, I would even fight for your right, but I don't need to agree with you K.

• Like 2

As I recall, a certain personality residing around Loddon bought the right to "Hamiltons" with the intention of updating but, sadly, ill health intervened!

A gentleman by the name of Bill, great bloke. Bill also looked into publishing on a disc rather than a hard copy but nothing came of it. Not just ill health but the sheer volume of updating that was required. All in all a great shame. The nearest alternative is the Green Book distributed to members of the Norfolk & Suffolk Boating Association, try google for that. I have a feeling that a certain Broads photographer attempted to take on Hamiltons but nothing came of that either.

Edited by JennyMorgan

Just my tuppence worth on this, I tend to look at these kind of threads out of curiousity, not to aportion blame etc, I mean even my avatar is of a vessel hi and dry! - in my opinion, if a casual visitor brought here looking for info on the broads see images like that then it can only serve as a valid reminder that its a private vessel or your hiring a boat at circa £1000 a week you do need to take care where you moor and take note of any of the signs, you just need to type Potter Heigham into YouTube to see some horrendous damage that can be done by not bothering to do just that, and yep could be a dozen reasons how they get stuck hi and dry, in fact a sticky with a collection of these images wouldn't go amiss in the newbie section, not as items of ridicule, but a warning of how you could ruin your holiday by not following a few simple rules.

No offence meant to any posters :wave

cheers

Ray

• Like 4

Ray, in doing that might there not be a risk that some folk might be put off coming to the Broads? 

Hard to say JennyMorgan, it just seems to be happening more often from what I can see, images like that tend to make me think a tad more about what a responsibility you have even if your a skipper for just for a week, breakdowns etc are generally hard to avoid I would imagine,but the recent crop of mishaps at missing post turnings at Breydon would worry as a boat hirer, although I am no means a professional at boating, I do pride myself in doing a little research in what makes them tick and became pretty adept at stern on mooring etc in the ten or so years of holidaying experience gave me and if the pictures and a well thought out paragraph or two of dos and do nots to elaborate made someone think it would only be for the good of all.

• Like 1

Ray a treble like for that post.

I totally agree and if it makes a few people think and stay safe then all the better - I don't think it will put people off either - as I said before a lot of those who don't care will never do any research anyway so wont see them. And youtube does a much better job of sharing videos of mishaps than we ever will.

I wonder if we should add into the newbies post things to consider if you do have a mechanical/electrical breakdown? I am sure it happens, but getting the mud weight down, coasting to a "safe" bit of bank (probably more like blown or pulled by the tide). if it says no mooring it's probably for a reason etc.

• Like 1