Sunday 9th August, waiting for the tide!

Maxwellian

I am one of those people that tell of the delights of wild mooring, although I do think a bit of common sense is in order when you choose to moor wild or mud weight, I never thought of it like that, shall be more careful when advising about wild mooring in the future, kind of proves my point of something I said in the past about seeing things from a different perspective, thanks Dave :clap Live and learn as they say lol

Grace

• Like 1

Hell no, you could have told me lol, didn't watch any TV last night, will check for it on catch up, thanks for the heads up.

You're right about common sense not being so common, pity stupidity is, not all helms people can be as good as us eh, Dave? :naughty: ;)

Grace

• Like 2

Lol, not modest but fact, Admiral....the fact is no one can panic as good as me when Ludham Bridge comes into view and it's like the ruddy M25, not to mention a Sailie thinghy lol :gracie:But you can bet your life I am the greatest helmswoman on the Broads when there is no one watching ;)

Grace

Grace if you'd seen some of my ****s ups when I've been helming, I nearly ran bow first into one of the red posts on Barton, I was too busy watching the yachts and never saw the post, if Jen hadn't been there I would have hit it square on, as it was i just managed to scrape (literally) by.

You must watch the documentary on Louboutin but I suggest a mop close by.;)cheers

Davecheers

And not a pair of legs in 6inch stilettos in sight Grace lol ..........

Charlie

They may have seen the other boat there last week at high water and thought that will do if we can't get on at bramerton!

Then again, they may have had a problem with the engine or steering, or an emergency (e.g. a fire in the galley, an accident to one of the crew) - who knows?  

I find it difficult to understand why people think it is acceptable to post  images such as this   What can they possibly expect to achieve?, Holding people up to public ridicule  leaves a nasty taste in my mouth, especially when the circumstances are unknown. 

If this forum, which I have always found to be tolerant, friendly and informed finds this sort of thing acceptable, then I'm not sure that I wish to continue to be a member.

• Like 1

Hi Kadensa, as you must be aware this year has seen a lot of incidents and we all care not only for our own boats, but also for the hire boat / company. We know that people who may hire a boat will find and study these chat lines and by showing these photos will advise of good / bad places to moor.

Regards

Marina :Stinky 

• Like 1

Gabions are not an ideal means of construction for use in water environments unless the cages are made from stainless  steel. These have also been used on one side of the New Cut and of course there are now posts indicating where these have failed due to collapse. 

Any stones falling out of these cages are an instant obstacle. The New Cut is littered with them.

By the looks of the picture what ever the bank was made of has collapsed and have formed a shelf, some work was done last season on the opposite side of the river around the bend from Bramerton.

I am sure that there were no mooring signs on this section.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Hi Kadensa,

Thanks for quoting me on this much appreciated. 

Whilst you may be spot on and ALL the boats caught like this this year must have had major mechanical failures or life threatening incidents I think we need to challenge the hire companies for their poor quality of boat prep or allowing people in such poor health out in a boat  

this has been put forward before that we do the trial by web before we know the full story, but let's face it we all know the likelihood is its lack of experience or plain stupidity in most cases. Very few are mechanical or physical problems. 

Maybe our resident hire team on here could provide some statistics to help with this debate?

at the end of the day whether your eating porridge in your car driving in the west end of london or beaching a boat, nowadays you know it is going to go viral. 

If It hadn't been me it would have been another person and my first post last week was taken from another forum so old  news I'm afraid. 

I merely posted something I thought of interest to some people, maybe not to others so sorry if your offended. 

Maybe I am sick, but I like both good and bad news and make my own mind up about it.  Sometimes I choose to ignore it and move onto another post. Sometimes I add to it. 

As you can tell we are all entitled to our opinions and opologies if they don't align with yours on this topic.

welcome aboard anyway and most of us relish a good discussion so please keep posting.  cheers 

• Like 2

One thing that occurred to me on Ranworth earlier today is that sailies all have a really useful device for getting out of various spots of bother that I have never seen on a mobo. It can get you off when you run aground and it can stop your bow drifting into the hunters boat next to you when you are mooring, it makes a very good depth gauge, it can even help you out when your motor dies. Yet I have never ever seen one on a mobo. There is no reason they couldn't have one they just never do. Why not have a quant pole on a mobo?

• Like 2

One thing that occurred to me on Ranworth earlier today is that sailies all have a really useful device for getting out of various spots of bother that I have never seen on a mobo. It can get you off when you run aground and it can stop your bow drifting into the hunters boat next to you when you are mooring, it makes a very good depth gauge, it can even help you out when your motor dies. Yet I have never ever seen one on a mobo. There is no reason they couldn't have one they just never do. Why not have a quant pole on a mobo?

Mobos have boat-hooks!         :Stinky

Many many moons ago when on a hire boat we moored further towards Brundall but could see these moorings (as we thought) in the distance.      We sat there as the tide went down and were horrified to see all along the river bits of tree root etc appearing and realising that that could be under us , we moved.      We were moored against a quay heading albeit a metal one but we still moved.     As has been said up North it is ok to moor on informal moorings , making sure that you are not over tree roots etc, but darn Sarf it is a different ball game.

• Like 1