Boats and Churches - Two Days in Norwich

SwanR

Thought I would add a write up here of the lovely couple of days that hubby and I have just spent in Norwich - whilst not on a boat it was as close as I could get so I hope nobody minds me adding this here.

Sunday we travelled to Norwich mostly via the same route that we take to get to the Broads, stopping at Goodies Farmshop for a delightful lunch on the way. We were staying at the Premier Inn which is by the river just along from the Yacht Station and much to my delight, we had a room overlooking the river which meant I could see some of the boats coming in and out.

Premier Inn is what it is - does what it says on the tin, as the saying goes. The room was on the cosy side but had everything you needed, was quiet as the windows were triple glazed, blackout curtains meant you slept well and the staff were really friendly and helpful. The only issue was that the door card readers for slotting your key in and out to access the main corridor and your own room, were very temperamental so you could be there for a while wiggling the card around before you got anywhere! We chose to take their meal deal which meant our room price included breakfast and a two course meal plus drink at the Table Table restaurant attached to the hotel. The food was very good, our waiter, Ben, was lovely, and we would go back there again.

Sunday afternoon we wandered along past the yacht station - I just couldn't wait to go and see which boats were there. And it was quite full. We wandered along up to the cathedral which we hadn't visited before. They don't charge any entrance fee, unlike some of the others, preferring to hope that visitors will make donations, which we did. It is a very impressive place and we spent quite some while wandering around, looking in all the little chapels and taking photos.

We had been to Norwich once before but stayed on the other side of the city, so it was interesting to take a walk around the Lanes and the Royal Arcade, before finding our way to John Lewis for that inevitable cake and coffee stop. After quite a long walk back to the hotel we put our feet up for a while before deciding that we should go out and explore the riverside walk before dinner. Once we had eaten, and felt refreshed again we took another walk along by the yacht station, across Bishop's Bridge and up to the cathedral to get some evening pictures. I was totally fascinated by all the old buildings around The Close as they varied in architectural style and must have been added to across the years.

We looped round and walked back to the hotel via the river again. Enough for one day!
  • Like 6

Monday morning dawned as bright and warm as Sunday had turned out to be. So after breakfast we set off in the general direction of Ludham, having decided on this as a good destination to get down by the river and see some more boats in a place that we love.

I was most excited to find that our route from Norwich took us through Wroxham. Got a peek up the river towards the boatyards as went over the bridge and wondered whether perchance anyone was looking in that direction on the webcam at the time. Skirting round Horning we soon found ourselves approaching Ludham Bridge and a quick decision was made to park up here, have a little walk and of course stand and watch a few boats as they took the bridge.

"Does that boat want to moor or are they trying to hold station to get through the bridge?" I commented as one of Bridgecraft's boats was now bow towards the bank - a position we had found ourselves in one very windy Sunday morning a couple of years ago!

Soon we were on our way up the road to Ludham and decided to park down at the staithe at Womack Water. Now that few minutes would be a few hours by river - but arriving by road really isn't the same. Still it was such a lovely day that we walked from there around the roads to the dyke and all the way up to the corner of the River Thurne. Now this was interesting as when we have been there in June or October I can see the river beside me all the way along. But now, in mid-August, the grasses were grown so high that I couldn't see over them at all. Once we got to the corner we stood awhile watching the traffic as there were several boats in a procession down from Potter Heigham. The hire craft seemed to want to fly go-faster stripes and couldn't wait to overtake once they caught up to the next boat. Ho hum.

Once we walked back to Womack Water we sat and watched the comings and goings for a while. Not that there was much happening as it was that late morning hour when so many people are on the move but not yet reached their lunchtime mooring. We wandered back into Ludham and decided on an early lunch in the Al Fresco Tearoom. Now this, I have to say, was extremely good value for money and the food was delicious. We had lovely sandwiches, deeply filled with crisps and a fresh salad on the side. We have been there before and are glad to see it thriving. There's only seven tables but it must be making enough to keep going.

Refreshed once more we went across the road to have a nose around the church, St Catherine's. Interesting place to visit. Norfolk has over 650 medieval churches, the most of any one place in the world apparently - I think that leaves me rather a lot still to visit!

Retracing our steps back to Norwich it wasn't long before we had parked in the hotel car park and were once again walking by the river to the cathedral for a second visit. Back through the Lanes and the Royal Arcade, we couldn't resist the homemade chocolate shop for some amazing truffles. Of course that then necessitated stopping for coffee before finally getting back to the hotel. After dinner we decided on another walk along by the river out of town. Having seen this stretch on people's videos, but not having sailed into Norwich ourselves, I was most interested to walk along by all the new flats mixed with old buildings and bridges.  It's funny how after many hours spent watching YouTube you can go somewhere for the first time and yet it feels so completely as if you have seen it all before.
  • Like 6

So I think you would agree that whilst not actually on a boat, we did cram a lot into our two days ... and it was enough of a peek at the rivers to keep me going until October when we'll be hiring out of Wroxham and cruising on the north for a short break.

Tuesday dawned cold and wet - poured with rain all the way back to Essex and didn't stop all day here. Yet a few miles south of us they had no rain at all. Back to work tomorrow for me ... so here's just a few photos in the form of a slideshow. Given the change to the forum software recently I am hoping this will work!

• Like 6

Fantastic. Thank you for sharing with us. It might sound strange but even though I live just outside Norwich we sometimes meet up with friend's at the hotel, have an evening meal at one of the restaurants in Norwich, and one or two drinks, and back to the hotel for a good nights sleep. Not much more than a taxi home. Plus a full English in the morning and then a walk to the cathedral and Elm Hill alongside the river.

• Like 2

Norwich is a very fine city although I may be bias! 2 cathedrals and one of the largest number of churches found anywhere is the country in such a small space. The Dragon trail is well worth doing as it takes you round lots of hidden bits. Heritage open days next months sees some cracking buildings open to the public in Norwich & further afield - all for free (including the Museum of the Broads at Stalham)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

We noticed all the dragons around the city. Seemed to be a very popular activity for the children.

Fantastic. Thank you for sharing with us. It might sound strange but even though I live just outside Norwich we sometimes meet up with friend's at the hotel, have an evening meal at one of the restaurants in Norwich, and one or two drinks, and back to the hotel for a good nights sleep. Not much more than a taxi home. Plus a full English in the morning and then a walk to the cathedral and Elm Hill alongside the river.

It can make so much difference to have a hotel room rather than heading for home after a good night out. We've done that once or twice in London. Premier Inn are certainly very good on value if you book in advance and pick the right day of the week.

• Like 2

Dragons are for all & great for the little ones. I live here & will be doing the trail as it takes you to some lovely hidden bits you don't always visit. Totally agree re getting a hotel - far less faffing about involved! Glad you had a lovely time - walking along the river is fascinating as there are lots of remains of times past when Norwich was a port!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2