Tornado tomorrow?

JennyMorgan

So, a question for all you seasoned Broads men and women out there.

When on the broads and one of these tornados, or severe thunderstorm, lightning, strong gusts etc occurs what is the perceived wisdom ?

Do you consider it safe to be in the middle of a broad or best to nestle into open reedbeds or alongside open moorings or even under the trees for wind shelter. (or even in the nearest pub !)

I'm sure there are several options due to the specific wx condition - Interested in your views.

Thanks

Bob 

Was on a river once when a ball of lightning hovered along the river before hitting the water and discharging nearby with an ear shattering crack! On another occasion a wherry yacht was out at night on Oulton Broad when a thunderstorm and squall hit the Broad. Quite dramatic images of her huge wash and flashes of surrounding lightening but she sailed on, unscarred, a spectacle that we were lucky to have witnessed.  Have never heard of a Broads boat being struck by lightning though.

Would I want eighty feet plus of carbon mast and carbon reinforced sails aloft whilst out in the middle of a Broad during a storm? No, I'd rather be in the bar!

I once saw a Westerly Vulcan that had been hit in Poole Bay, hell of alot of damage around the mast and all electronics gone.

No one hurt more than fright. Shame though, not many Vulcan Motor Sailers were built, lovely boat.