New's from MBA Marine

Today feels like a big day, after months of planning and weeks of  gearing and setting up, we did it, a boat hull is born! much work ahead this is only half a boat shell, but the intention is to ease into boat manufacture, the technicalities of the boat building business are still to be finalised this currently more of a personal project but over the course of 2016 I hope to gain to some reinforcements to share the load with and see if my dream can take flight.

WP_20160118_005.jpg

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Lovely looking hull, and a nice colour too. Is it going to be an open launch, or a workboat with cuddy, or a traditional style cruiser?.

Open launch with GRP internal seats floor and central helm moulding, also working on plants to drop onto the superstructure mould to ease production of a fishing/work boat version. Diesel or electric inboard and petrol or electric outboard options.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, MBA Marine said:

Open launch with GRP internal seats floor and central helm moulding, also working on plants to drop onto the superstructure mould to ease production of a fishing/work boat version. Diesel or electric inboard and petrol or electric outboard options.

How about a full length collapseable canopy, with wheel steering and bech seats converting to bunks, with a small galley unit, with a twin burner stove, small under seat sink, and a porta loo. It would make an ideal traditional style camping boat, similar idea to Freedom pod, but with traditional styling?.

1 minute ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

How about a full length collapseable canopy, with wheel steering and bech seats converting to bunks, with a small galley unit, with a twin burner stove, small under seat sink, and a porta loo. It would make an ideal traditional style camping boat, similar idea to Freedom pod, but with traditional styling?.

Freedom already have this, if people want one I would suggest they see Andy, I might even help him lay up his mould! :) 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, MBA Marine said:

Freedom already have this, if people want one I would suggest they see Andy, I might even help him lay up his mould! :) 

We have ideas to improve the canopy on pod, but like Mark, we have limited resources and time to carry out such work currently. Mark has put a lot of time into this project so far and the results thus far are very pleasing. I know how chuffed he will be to have got this far with it and I am very happy for him. But the project is much more than just a hull and there's more fibreglassing needed yet to make a complete boat. 

• Like 3

The aim is to give the hull mould another wax and gel up the next (I want to produce one launch and one fishing) as well as the superstructure mould they can then boat get their gel's and mat at the same time. I shall be high on styreen for another couple of weeks!

the lay up is the easy part, development for different variants of the same boat is so very time consuming and as for wax on wax off that is mind numbing!

Seriously though, with a small hull like that, there`s a lot of possibilities. It`s really great to see yet another small hard working Norfolk buisnessdeveloping, and expanding into new areas. Well done Mark, and i`m not joking about a traditional style camping boat. Maybe when finances allow, Andy could make one using your hull. Just a thought.

If not a traditional pod, how about some traditional style dayboats. It would really make a welcome change from the rows of modern style ones on the North rivers.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Seriously though, with a small hull like that, there`s a lot of possibilities. It`s really great to see yet another small hard working Norfolk buisnessdeveloping, and expanding into new areas. Well done Mark, and i`m not joking about a traditional style camping boat. Maybe when finances allow, Andy could make one using your hull. Just a thought.

If not a traditional pod, how about some traditional style dayboats. It would really make a welcome change from the rows of modern style ones on the North rivers.

Thank you, it's not something I enter into lightly even small craft is a crazy expensive game and MBA Marine has had to be part time to accommodate,  I have one guy helping me part time and without pay at times as he believes in the project and wants to help make it work.

Mr Banner is a friend, if there is the hint of demand and the time is right i'm sure we will put our heads together (but only if he shaves that rug of his face!! :naughty:) and make something happen.  The freedom pod and my 17 are very different in shape but it is feasible that some of the clever aspects of Pod could be transferred to the 17 (currently un-named).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MBA Marine said:

Mr Banner is a friend, if there is the hint of demand and the time is right i'm sure we will put our heads together (but only if he shaves that rug of his face!! :naughty:) and make something happen.  The freedom pod and my 17 are very different in shape but it is feasible that some of the clever aspects of Pod could be transferred to the 17 (currently un-named).

Oi! that's my winter plumage. :-)

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

Running a hire boat yard is enough to cause my hair to thin prematurely. Just on top though, as Mark suggests, left to its own devices, my plumage can hinder my progress though doors. 

Left to its own devices it becomes a nature reserve!! Spring is coming quick fire up the strimmer before birds start nesting.

• Like 3

Good thinking. I might get Cally Sm

9 hours ago, MBA Marine said:

Left to its own devices it becomes a nature reserve!! Spring is coming quick fire up the strimmer before birds start nesting.

Thanks for pointing that out; too much more and I'll have Cally Smith trying to impose restrictions. Maybe I'll register a domain name SaveTheFoliage.co.uk :-)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, C.Ricko said:

a mould was made a couple of years ago off an old Kathleen from Maycraft.. 

similar thing.. not sure where that is now ... 

As Andy said most likely the new Mayfly, very pretty little boat.

My boat (well this one, I have more but need to walk first) did not originate in Norfolk and I bought it from its maker.

• 1 month later...

This has been somewhat of a slow burner as going out and earning pennies has taken priority, but here is the 1st superstructure, hull No.2 is laid up and ready for release. one more top and component set to go and that's two full sets, more than enough to work with for now and the moulds can go to bed, unless you all bombard me with orders!!

WP_20160223_008.jpg

WP_20160223_006.jpg

WP_20160223_001.jpg

• Like 8