Aldi toad in the hole

RayandCarole

https://www.aldi.co.uk/toad-in-the-hole/p/068777022099600

Aldi toad in the hole, very nice but follow instructions and cook in separate casserole dish we tried in the foil tray it came in to save time and found bottom was very soggy but top really poofed up.

more than enough for two withna baked tater handy boating grub

cheers

Ray & Carole

image.jpeg

• Like 3

OMG, that looks yum. I can live with a soggy bottom. I have to try and make stuff like this gluten free, and before anyone says anything, I cook on this boat and have for over 16 years. Having said that I get what I like.:naughty:

colincheers

• Like 1

Hi Colin,

Tan is not gluten intolerant but if she has gluten it does catch up with her, I made pasties this evening using gluten free flour. You could use gluten free flour and add soda water instead of tap water in your Yorkshire pudding mix, it might give the mixture a better chance to rise, I use this method for fish batter and it works well.

I am cooking a toad in the hole for our Michael, I brown off the Richmond Sausages in the George Forman grill and put these into the batter to finish them off. 

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan, Ruth is intolerant too and will pay for it the next day if she has too much. Like the idea of soda water and will give it a go. Biggest prob is getting the oven hot enough. Boat oven gets to about mark 6 to 7 at best. 

We do struggle to find FreeFrom food that doesn't break the bank. Sausage wise we usually buy Black Farmers. 10 for £3.50 in the Co op...£3.00 for 6 in Sainsburys:cry:.

Colin and Ruth cheers

The best gluten free range in the area is in Roy's food hall in Hoveton. One of ours is not only coeliac but is also vegetarian! Roy's saved the day but its hard work on the broads when special diets are required unless you take lots of food with you. 

Gluten free beer makes the best batter. If you can get access to Juvela White Mix you will have a  batter to die for. 

• 1 month later...

Things can be regional with Aldi, a friend in Hampshire cannot buy, what I can purchase up here, and vice versa.They have stopped the Bucks Fizz which sold for several years, it's only on for special occasions our local Manager informed us. We too can know longer buy the beef olives!

I do know one of the area Managers, so will nip his head the next time I see him!

cheersIain

• Like 1

By coincidence I had one of these today. Bought it a few weeks back, definitely in Aldi. As Tangara says, don't use the tray it comes in, impossible to crisp up the bottom. It's really a DIY sausage toad, all they've really done is put the dry batter mix in a bag! As in a lot of Aldi and Lidl stuff, they seem to disappear from sale as quickly as they appear. Annoying, when you find something you really like. 

• Like 1

• 10 months later...