Broads Badges

JennyMorgan

Have you seen the prices being got for and asked for Broads boatyard badges? I never cease to be amazed, and pleased, at the prices that some folk are prepared to pay. As kids we collected them, not sure why but badge collecting was very much a boy's hobby. Thankfully yards gave them to us local kids, couldn't have afforded some of today's prices. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Norfolk+Broads+badges&_sacat=0

My wife and I went to an antique & collector's fair at Norwich yesterday, it's not just boaters that collect badges, anglers have the bug too. Got to admit that I have sold most of my kids collection of angling badges over the years, it's called de-cluttering. What is it about enamel badge? To-day it's very much for rich big kids!

• Like 2

Compared to what the original owner paid ( or as a customer given for free) they appear expensive.

But you only have to look at the interest in The Broads ( this site being evidence of that) and the fact that supply is finite, there will not be any more. Then for a little piece of history and nostalgia they are quite cheap.

2 hours ago, CaptinDread said:

£60 cheap, lool

for a tiny pin badge

It's like the old canal metal badges on narrowboats....

To put that £60.00 into some kind of perspective, it's about half a week's pension for far too many people and a day's wages for numerous others.

• Like 2

I had a Standard Vanguard!!! But it was grey in colour, the same as the real one my father had.

I believe the engine was shared with the Razor Edge Triumphs and was used to power the TR2, 3 & 4 (in modified form) until the straight 6 2·5 litre PSI fitter to the TR5 & 6.

I suppose it is the maroon that makes thi one so rare. Cars had no colour in the lte 40s early 50s just black, grey and light green.

Of course, if you had all kept your toy collections, the market would be awash with them now and they'd be worth tuppence!

And, if you'd kept your wooden boats, I would not now be priceless :):):)

I'm watching you oh pesky one. Moderate that to say worthless and I'll hide ya sporran!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JanetAnne said:

Of course, if you had all kept your toy collections, the market would be awash with them now and they'd be worth tuppence!

And, if you'd kept your wooden boats, I would not now be priceless :):):)

I'm watching you oh pesky one. Moderate that to say worthless and I'll hide ya sporran!

Oh am sorely tempted JA :naughty:

cheersIain

• 8 years later...
On 07/02/2016 at 08:51, JennyMorgan said:

Have you seen the prices being got for and asked for Broads boatyard badges? I never cease to be amazed, and pleased, at the prices that some folk are prepared to pay. As kids we collected them, not sure why but badge collecting was very much a boy's hobby. Thankfully yards gave them to us local kids, couldn't have afforded some of today's prices. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Norfolk+Broads+badges&_sacat=0

My wife and I went to an antique & collector's fair at Norwich yesterday, it's not just boaters that collect badges, anglers have the bug too. Got to admit that I have sold most of my kids collection of angling badges over the years, it's called de-cluttering. What is it about enamel badge? To-day it's very much for rich big kids!

Apologies for digging up this old post. Trying to find some of the boatyard burgee badges myself to add to my little clutch. On the wider subject I think most men started off collecting as boys. I have been collecting just one set of football badges called Gommballs for 40 years and have just five or six left to find. Used to be one or two pounds now even a common one is a tenner.

Anyway..I hope you are well. :default_biggrin:

19 minutes ago, Norfolkangler said:

I need to get my old leather Mascot motorcycle jacket out of hibernation and check my collection of enamel motorbike badges. Got loads on that. Need to check the wifes too she has just as many. :default_biggrin:

I think you will find 'mod' badges are more collectable. 

Can't beat a good old Lambretta. :default_laugh:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, maynard said:

But we had all of the pretty girls. :default_smiley-taunt014:

Hard to tell the difference sometimes, proof that sometimes things don't change? :default_biggrin:

Four stroke for me, not pop pop pop 'oh it's broken down again'. That said Mrs Two was a scooter girl, mixed marriage. :default_cool:

7 minutes ago, twowrights said:

Hard to tell the difference sometimes, proof that sometimes things don't change? :default_biggrin:

Four stroke for me, not pop pop pop 'oh it's broken down again'. That said Mrs Two was a scooter girl, mixed marriage. :default_cool:

Twelve mirrors on my machine and a fox's tail on the radio aerial. Class.:27_sunglasses: