Boat queries

hardguy007

Hi, newbie here so go easy on me.lol

So hear we go. I'm badly looking for a boat project so I am - 50/50 for sea fishing & coastal cruising. I'm mainly on a large sea fishing forum but the boats I've been looking at would probably be more suited to the broads which is why I'm here. Ideally i want diesel inboard, 2 berth, room for small gas hob however I'd be happy with just a wheelhouse as opposed to 2 berths and either way it must be suitable for use on the sea.

i know I'd be better with a boat designed for the sea but it's just far too expensive.

I've been looking at a teal 22 diesel project (£2000) on the auction site but after speaking to the seller we can't get the transport logistics to work out which is a pity as it would of suited me fine and from I see they are very capable sea boats. Also I love working on boats so it would have been a win win.

My main question is does anyone know of any projects about which would fulfil my requirements? Dosnt need to have a trailer as long as it can be lifted on a lorry. 

The trouble with the smaller cabin cruiser boats with inboards is they often have an outdrive, there are people on here who will tell you how good they are and will probably post a picture of theirs as well, but my honest advice is stay clear if you can, inboard on a shaft drive will cost you a lot less time and money to maintain.

A gentleman named Jon may well be along soon (although he frequents Facebook a lot more these days) you can't visit much social media without finding out he sells boats!! Jon at wayford marine services does have a project or two in the yard and might be worth a look.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, hardguy007 said:

Yep, saw his website earlier but dosnt look to be anything suitable on it. Problem with a shaft drive is getting one. Only reason I wanted a inboard is really economy however I'd be open to a smallish outboard too.

The country is full of projects too, till your looking one.

Websites do not have everything on them!!!  you need to phone around, most projects are shifted on Ebay and Gumtree but some are not yet in the way enough to be listed online.

I must apologise for the username too. It started whenever I was on dialup Internet and it just stuck. Plus I'm usually sure no one else has it when I sign up. 

Could well believe that about drivers but it's a chance you take. It's just my father works for a local haulage business so I get extremely cheap rates which helps.

Hopefully something turns up as I'm itching to get one in the water this year.

:welcome: from me.. Are you a norfolk local (If you are kent/essex I can give you some leads)? You could try and call (or pop personally) to most boatyards.. Ebay, preloved, gumtree are all teeming with projects. Google "Project boats" too and you may hit some yards who have them buried in their websites.  

There are many people on this forum who will find you a timber boat project for nothing lol! :hardhat: 

£2k is plenty, I've never paid more than £50 for my boats* (*kinda)... Don't forget its a buyers market offer peanuts... "I'll take it away for you"...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hardguy007 said:

I'm badly looking for a boat project so I am - 50/50 for sea fishing & coastal cruising. I'm mainly on a large sea fishing forum but the boats I've been looking at would probably be more suited to the broads which is why I'm here. Ideally i want diesel inboard, 2 berth, room for small gas hob however I'd be happy with just a wheelhouse as opposed to 2 berths and either way it must be suitable for use on the sea.

i know I'd be better with a boat designed for the sea but it's just far too expensive.

I've been looking at a teal 22 diesel project (£2000) on the auction site but after speaking to the seller we can't get the transport logistics to work out which is a pity as it would of suited me fine and from I see they are very capable sea boats. Also I love working on boats so it would have been a win win.

A lot of your "want list" has always been on mine too.

A true seagoing boat with no handicap for inland Broads use, just over 20ft long, with a diesel engine.

There are boats that fit that criteria, but they're less common secondhand than petrol or outdrive boats.

You haven't mentioned what speed you want.

There's plenty of cheapish high power outboard or outdrive powered petrol engine boats, but the moment you want a diesel boat capable of planing speeds (15 to 25mph, rather than 8mph displacement speeds), then the price shoots up, because you're suddenly looking at turbos, and probably an outdrive.

If you can be content with displacement speeds, then the choice really opens up, and the "seaworthiness" of the hull can really improve, together with inboard shaft drive diesel power.

I've just had a glance at Norfolk/Suffolk  boats on Ebay, and one caught my eye that could be ideal for fishing/sea/broads.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kent-class-motor-sailer-/252279649233?hash=item3abd09f3d1:g:DwEAAOSwll1WtvxE

I know it might look a daft suggestion, but although it's a sailing cruiser, it's got a 1.5 bmc diesel engine on a shaft drive, so you could just use that, with the sails as a foolproof "emergency" alternative propulsion, (or you might even find out that you like sailing !).

Unlike most yachts that size, they have full standing headroom, and a cabin fit-out that would shame many a motor cruiser.

It would make a superb sea fishing boat, with a ballasted keel, and the ability to set a "steadying sail".

And it's only 5 grand, classified advert, "buy it now", at Lowestoft........

(and they used to be built at Horning...) :)

kent class.jpg

Displacement speeds would be fine. I'm happy just tottering about. 10kts would be good although optimistic. Had a planing hull a couple of years back and to be honest wasn't terribly fussed on it - drank fuel and wasn't comfy.  Interior seems ideal but I wouldn't be interested in sails. Other commitments too so budget for buying project is £1500. £2000 at a push. I basically want the mechanics in decent order and then gut the internals and redo to my own spec. 

1 hour ago, hardguy007 said:

Displacement speeds would be fine. I'm happy just tottering about. 10kts would be good although optimistic. Had a planing hull a couple of years back and to be honest wasn't terribly fussed on it - drank fuel and wasn't comfy.  Interior seems ideal but I wouldn't be interested in sails. Other commitments too so budget for buying project is £1500. £2000 at a push. I basically want the mechanics in decent order and then gut the internals and redo to my own spec. 

It's going to be a very tight budget to get a true seagoing hull with a diesel inboard at up to 2k, even a "project" boat.

I believe a Birchwood 20 is semi-planing or planing hull, so will wallow badly in the open sea at anything greater than a flat calm. Most cheap 20ft'ish motor cruisers are planing hulls, like Shetlands and Vikings.

As you're happy with displacement speeds (which is up to about 7 or 8 knots on a 20ft length), you'd get much more value for money secondhand and much more seaworthiness with a sailing cruiser, because of the ballasted keel(s).

The trick will be getting one that small with sufficient accommodation and headroom.

An old "MIrror Offshore" might be a good contender, 20ft long, two berths, heads, galley, and inboard shaft diesel. A good seaboat for the size. Very old now, but all fibreglass so cheaply restorable  and often around your price range.

Good two berth accommodation and often seen used purely as a motor cruiser, (and the stored  sails make an excellent insurance policy if offshore with engine failure).

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mirror+offshore&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi_u4uwnf3KAhXDRBQKHfLaC1oQsAQIHA&biw=1454&bih=778&dpr=0.9

There's one at Broads Edge Marina at Stalham right now, right on tour budget at £1500.

http://www.broadsedgemarina.co.uk/boat-sales-brokerage.php?display=boat&boatId=82

I agree but I'm looking a compromise between sea and river as its going to be the only way I can get what I'm wanting. Trying to avoid a mast or sails. The more I look the more contenders I see. Hardy 18, Shetland family four, Mayland Safari, Teal 22 although the Hardy is out of price unless a bargain project came along. It's tricky with a tight budget.

9 hours ago, hardguy007 said:

I agree but I'm looking a compromise between sea and river as its going to be the only way I can get what I'm wanting. Trying to avoid a mast or sails. The more I look the more contenders I see. Hardy 18, Shetland family four, Mayland Safari, Teal 22 although the Hardy is out of price unless a bargain project came along. It's tricky with a tight budget.

It's even more tricky getting a small cheap compromise between sea and river for coastal use off Yarmouth & Lowestoft.

The Broad's only two access points to the sea are a far less gentle transition than most other popular UK cruising grounds. There's no gradually widening estuaries and creeks, once you're through the pier heads, you're instantly exposed to the shoaling waters of the Norfolk coast, with hardly any bad weather bolt-holes and creeks like Essex and the south coast.

If you want to fish at anchor, your "weather window" off GY and Lowestoft is going to be very limited with small planing craft like Shetlands.

To get maximum seaworthiness in a small hull for fishing for just a few £k, you need to focus on fishing boats, like this Boats & Outboards search:

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/Motorboats/Fishing-Boats-for-sale?ads_pid=150&ads_tp=0&ads_i=1&order=lowest&url=maxdim#XH3mqWgI1f79EBLI.97

For 2k, I'd say an inboard shaft diesel is out of the frame completely, but one of those fishing boats with a main outboard and a smaller emergency auxiliary will give some coastal security.

9 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

With two grand to blow I'd look around for an Orkney Long-Liner: 

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/classifieds/boats-for-sale/orkney-longliner-16.html

I've fished out of Lowestoft all my life & reckon such boats really take some beating. 

That would be what the guy who made my 17' mould based it on, if you look at my profile pic you will see it has many similar lines.