Oil sucker at Lidl

Regulo

£12.99 is a very good price and I buy a lot of things from LIDL and ALDI so it's probably a good buy.

I'll derail the thread slightly though by recommending a "Pela" suction oil extractor instead, if more money can be allotted to the spend.

True it's four times as much, at around £50, but I've ended up with one of those after trying many cheaper alternatives along the way. I was able to justify the expense by reasoning that many cars are now more suitably drained by sucking the oil up the dipstick tube as well now, rather than using a drain plug, (its also the way most garages do it now during a dealer service too). Many engines are now designed to be emptied that way. Much easier than crawling underneath to find the damn sump plug.

It's so convenient and clean to use. No power required, you just create a vacuum in the tank by using the hand pump. This then sucks the (warmed up) engine oil into the translucent container. The clever bit is that the air pump just sucks air, to create the vacuum, so there's no chance of the old engine oil clogging anything.

You then just leave it in there till your next trip to the municipal dump, where it's poured straight into the oil recovery tank.

It comes with two suction pipes, thick and thin, to suit your car or boat's dipstick tube.

They do a cheaper, smaller, ball shaped model too, but I tried that and found it less easy to use.

pela oil extractor.jpg

5 minutes ago, imtamping2 said:

Pela extractors are good but obviously limited to there capacity so make sure you get the right size !!!! 

Yes, good point.

That was another reason why I didn't like the cheaper round Pela.

I bought the 6.5 litre model, enough to easily drain any car or boat that I've tried it on....

On 20/02/2016 at 10:29 AM, Regulo said:

Just a heads up for anyone who might be interested. Lidl have a 12v electric oil suction pump on offer from 29th Feb. £12:99p.

Just seen it in the online leaflet and its downside is the flow rate of 0.2L/min with engine oil... you'll have to be very patient!

http://leaflet.lidl.co.uk/07bb323c-49f3-49d6-8087-47c10500e962/#/28

1 hour ago, Jonzo said:

Do those suction jobbies really do a thorough job?

Its always seemed to me like a corner-cutting tactic for garages, because you can pump out quickly and get it out of the door whereas a proper flush and drain means leaving the car with an old washing-up bowl under it for a couple of hours (and a trolley jack under the front subframe).

I can see why you'd do it on a boat, though, obviously, because you can't get under the engine so easily.

It's very valid concern Jonzo, and I resisted buying my Pela till I had a boat that made it imperative, and then I hesitated before using it on cars.

I experimented the first few times by using the extractor and then undoing the drain plug, just to see how much was left. I was quite surprised with the cars, providing the engine was thoroughly warmed up, and sitting perfectly level, I only managed to get a few drops more, and not a dirty sludgy dollop as I was fully expecting.

My only caveat is if the sump plug has a magnet on it. If it has, then I remove it every third suction oil change to check for swarf, (and there rarely is any). It's still easier and cleaner to first suck the oil out even then though, no bowl to decant or sudden rush of 5 litres etc..

There's quite a lot of controversy over suction oil changes though, as discovered by google searches:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sump+oil+sucker+as+good+as+draining&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=XoHMVoKIDciSasWPosAI

Bottom line though, being so much more convenient, my own DIY changes are now never delayed, so it gets nice fresh oil bang on time.

Thought these looked good and picked one up today. Having found our sump plugs almost in accessible and impossible to put a tray under previous oil changes have been via vacuum pump. There were still a dozen left at 12:30pm today, so may have all gone by now.

colincheers

p.s. You will need a bigger box to keep it in.