one for jennymorgan... the chase...ITV

donnygeoff

6 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Sorry, Strow, but in my opinion you are now flogging a long dead horse.

Good morning Peter.

I bet many people reading our monotonous  debates on this subject can see both our points.

......and that perhaps I'm not the only one "flogging a long dead horse"..... :roll:

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 4:31 PM, JennyMorgan said:

Don't be too sure about that, I have just received an e-mail from ITV stating that the issue is being investigated further. 

They haven't replied to my email yet.

But if Anne blows me a kiss, I will be quite happy.......

:love

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 3:48 PM, donnygeoff said:

Good idea Dave,

What about this......

Dear Mr Scott,

Thank you for your reply, and of course the link to The Broads Authority publication.

Sorry my reply is a little late, as I have just returned from a boating holiday on The Broads.

Here is a little more of Rory Stewarts statement, as you can see the Broads Authority did miss a little from the beginning.

I am saying both those things. Just to reinforce that absolutely clearly for the avoidance of any doubt, the broads are not legally a national park and do not come under the national park legislation, and nor will they. We are very comfortable with the broads describing themselves as a national park, but that is essentially to express in common-sense terms to the public that it is a protected landscape with many of the qualities of other national parks.

The full details can be found here

https://hansard.digiminster.com/Commons/2015-07-08/debates/15070835000002/NorfolkAndSuffolkBroads

:hardhat:

yes Peter

but nothing from them yet.

6 hours ago, donnygeoff said:

............"We are very comfortable with the broads describing themselves as a national park, but that is essentially to express in common-sense terms to the public that it is a protected landscape with many of the qualities of other national parks"............

....and it can't be said clearer than that..........    :)

No Peter, a lie is not a lie as you put it. Inaccurate? Yes! Misleading? Well yes that too, but a lie? No, not really.

If the question had included the words... "including areas known as part of the National parks family" the question would have been far too long.

Sixteen minutes past the hour is not "quarter past" nor will it ever be, yet that is what we all say and it is understood and accepted.

I, like most here, will fight tooth and nail to stop the broads becoming a National Park, but I don't see Bradley Walsh or his question writers as being in the enemy camp. 

44 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

............ but I don't see Bradley Walsh or his question writers as being in the enemy camp. 

Absolutely right MM.

...and quite obvious to most of us, judging by the reluctance of replies to this thread.

4 hours ago, Dajen said:

If you watch most TV quizzes near enough doesn't normally cut it Strowy, Ive seen people penalised for much less on certain quiz shows. Quizzing is a serious business to those who take part and accuracy of answers is an important part, saying that the main question setter for the Chase is I believe an ex quizzing world champion so the answers should be absolutely accurate.

dave

You miss the crucial point Dave.

The three possible answers were provided by the question setter.

It was a multi-choice preset answer.

No contestant is going to be penalised for inaccuracy when they choose a set answer given to them, they can only be either right or wrong.

47 minutes ago, Dajen said:

I can't argue with that logic and I'm not but I can argue with the fact that the answer was wrong and the TV company should acknowledge that fact and the question setter being a former world quizzing champion should know better.

dave

I can only reiterate the quote that Donny just posted,

........."We are very comfortable with the broads describing themselves as a national park, but that is essentially to express in common-sense terms to the public that it is a protected landscape with many of the qualities of other national parks"............

A general knowledge quick-fire quiz program will quite understandably use "common sense terms".

21 minutes ago, Dajen said:

Obviously don't watch a lot of Quiz programmes then Strowie? if you watch say Pointless on the Beeb you'll see them disallow answers for very slight mispronounciations. 

I still don't understand calling something that it clearly is not, common sense. 

Davecheers

Yes Dave, no argument there, Pointless is indeed very strict, even on mispronunciation.

However, as we've already just discussed, that particular question in the Chase was where the three possible answers were provided, and the contestant simply pressed the button of their choice.

Considering that it's 100% correct  to call the Broads a "A Member of the National Parks Family", it's not such a heinous crime to abbreviate that to "National Park", especially considering that quote that Donny gave a few posts back:

........"We are very comfortable with the broads describing themselves as a national park, but that is essentially to express in common-sense terms to the public that it is a protected landscape with many of the qualities of other national parks"............

34 minutes ago, Dajen said:

I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree about that, it's like saying its fine for a Nurse to call themselves a Doctor, they both belong to the same instution, they both do basically the same job...

Dave

That's a rather extreme analogy Dave.

If we stay with that flavour of example, it would be more apt to compare a Trainee Nurse with a fully qualified SRN.

They're both simply referred to by most of the public as "Nurse", despite their quite different experience and qualification levels.

8 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

No Peter, a lie is not a lie as you put it. Inaccurate? Yes! Misleading? Well yes that too, but a lie? No, not really.

If the question had included the words... "including areas known as part of the National parks family" the question would have been far too long.

Sixteen minutes past the hour is not "quarter past" nor will it ever be, yet that is what we all say and it is understood and accepted.

I, like most here, will fight tooth and nail to stop the broads becoming a National Park, but I don't see Bradley Walsh or his question writers as being in the enemy camp. 

Okay, an untruth then! I also don't see Bradley Walsh as being in the enemy camp, however I do see them as having been used though. For those who don't know it is common practice for viewers to submit potential questions for quiz programs. 

Have just had this response from ITV:

clear.gifclear.gifclear.gifclear.gif

The Chase

ViewerServices@itv.com (ViewerServices@itv.com)

17:52

clear.gif

ViewerServices@itv.com

Dear Peter, 

Thank you for your further email.  

I am sorry to read you disagree with our response. We are confident the information we have provided is correct. 

Should you wish to take this matter further you may wish to contact our regulators, Ofcom, either by telephone on 0207 981 3040 or via their website www.ofcom.org.uk 

Again thank you for taking the time to contact us here at ITV Viewer Services. 

Kind regards, 

Umar

ITV Viewer Support Supervisor

Oh well, will have a go at Ofcom!
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

.............Dear Peter,
Thank you for your further email. 
I am sorry to read you disagree with our response.
We are confident the information we have provided is correct. ............

:)

2 minutes ago, Dajen said:

From the Chases Facebook page

"How does Bradley know which answers to accept and what not to accept?

We take question accuracy very seriously on The Chase. Each question and answer is backed up by three good sources and is sent to external verifiers who approve the information. Sometimes, there is more than one acceptable answer to a question, and on these occasions Bradley has all this information on his screen. In addition, there is an Independent Adjudicator present in studio at all times to guarantee fairness throughout the game"

Dave

Sorry to repeat myself on this yet again Dave,

...but Bradley did not need additional information on his screen for the NP question because the only permitted answers were A, B, or C.

There is no "none of the above button".

If the simplified question had been asked without the three preset answers, then a pedantic contestant may well have succeeded in a later challenge for giving the "South Downs" as Britain's most Easterly National Park.

1 hour ago, Dajen said:

My point was Strowie that they stress that they take question accuracy very seriously (hence making it bold) but in this case it appears not. So a common sense answer should not need to be made.

As for your contention that of the 3 choices given the contestant could only answer The Broads, that is wrong, the contestant should have answered The North Yorkshire Moors which is the correct Answer not only from the 3 answers given but it is I believe the most easterly NP of all.

Dave

No Dave, the most Easterly NP is the South Downs.

As for the accuracy, we keep going over the same ground here.

Donny has already posted a direct quote of Rory Stewart's official statement that says it all:

I am saying both those things. Just to reinforce that absolutely clearly for the avoidance of any doubt, the broads are not legally a national park and do not come under the national park legislation, and nor will they. We are very comfortable with the broads describing themselves as a national park, but that is essentially to express in common-sense terms to the public that it is a protected landscape with many of the qualities of other national parks.

Yes, it clearly states that the Broads is not legally a National Park, and nor will be.

However,  it qualifies that statement in the very next sentence with:

"We are very comfortable with the broads describing themselves as a national park, but that is essentially to express in common-sense terms to the public."

Which is exactly the point that some people on this forum cannot seem to accept.

It is a permitted "Common-sense" expression to the Public, straight from the horse's mouth.

map-parks-names.jpg

16 minutes ago, Dajen said:

Calling something by a name doesn't make it one, I had a car called a Mustang but it wasn't a horse.

Dave;)

Quite right,  but whether you have a Mustang or a Trabant, they're both acceptably referred to as simply  "Cars". :rolleyes:

(Even though one of them is a pile of cr*p)......

15 minutes ago, Dajen said:

But that's because they are BOTH CARS Strowie!

Yes, like Dartmoor and the Broads are both "National Parks" Dave.

One's a "full National Park" and the other's a "member of the National Parks"........

I'm sorry about insulting your Trabant........ :)

28 minutes ago, Dajen said:

No One is called a National Park but isn't and one is called a National Park and is. Simples

I never had a Trabant, but I did have a Lada and a Skoda (when they used to be the butt of Jasper Carrot's jokes).

Scorned cars were such good value secondhand, but you had to drive them wearing a balaclava...

national parks.jpg

Well, I'm not sure I ought to keep this going, but Strowager, I have learned over the many years of my life, that just because a government dept says  something, it isn't necessarily true or accurate. Just because they are the responsible department doesn't seem to make them right. And for the record, when they say it isn't and won't be, I don't believe that either!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, johnb said:

Well, I'm not sure I ought to keep this going, but Strowager, I have learned over the many years of my life, that just because a government dept says  something, it isn't necessarily true or accurate. Just because they are the responsible department doesn't seem to make them right. And for the record, when they say it isn't and won't be, I don't believe that either!

I've suffered many decades of broken promises from them too John.

I've actually had three Lada's and they all served me well and were not particularly unpleasant to drive. I will admit that I always bought the top of the range with the largest engine. My first was a 1500 and may have been a "rogue" as it really did fly. 105mph when trying to get a friend to Prestwick Airport and we were late!

Was basically a Fiat 124 which was actually car of the year during its lifetime.As was its smaller sister,the Fiat 128.

20 minutes ago, VetChugger said:

I've actually had three Lada's and they all served me well and were not particularly unpleasant to drive. I will admit that I always bought the top of the range with the largest engine. My first was a 1500 and may have been a "rogue" as it really did fly. 105mph when trying to get a friend to Prestwick Airport and we were late!

Was basically a Fiat 124 which was actually car of the year during its lifetime.As was its smaller sister,the Fiat 128.

My Lada Riva had awful steering, the worst in any car I ever owned.

They hadn't gone over to rack and pinion in those days, and the old worm and roller steering box had about a quarter turn of slack.  It was like driving a traction engine.

Whereas the Skoda Estelle was a great little car. Rear engine, 5 speed box, 4 door, sunroof, it had the lot when many small British cars were still poorly equipped. I bought it for £400 with 30,000 miles on the clock and two bashed in wings, but the breaker threw in two replacements for that all in price.  I ran it for 4 years and never had any trouble.