one for jennymorgan... the chase...ITV

donnygeoff

A copy of my email sent to ITV

I would like to bring to your attention a dubious question and answer in The Chase episode aired on Friday 26th Feb.

The multiple choice question was

which is the most easterly national park in the UK.

The three possible answers were

The Broads, The cairngorms, The North Yorkshire Moors

The answer was given as The Broads, this is incorrect as The Broads are not a National Park, and due to the Sandford Principle will never be a National Park.

:Stinky

Edited by donnygeoff
i am dumb
  • Like 6

6 hours ago, donnygeoff said:

The multiple choice question was

which is the most easterly national park in the UK.

The three possible answers were

The Broads, The cairngorms, The North Yorkshire Moors

Yes, an absolutely appalling lack of research, they should be ashamed of themselves.

What they should have said was

"Which is the most Easterly member of the National Parks family in the UK" ......

That would have been so much more accurate..........  :roll:

I also watched it, now, a couple of years ago before being a member of this Forum I would have thought nothing of it, but my immediate reaction was practically jumping out of my chair and shouting "THE BROADS IS NOT A NATIONAL PARK" and thought of our JM, it's amazing how much we learn from just being a member of a Forum, the people that research the questions for games shows at ITV could learn a thing or two from the likes of a little old Broads Forum like ours ;)

Grace

• Like 6

WHAT is wrong with Eastenders, may I ask? (what's right with it, more like lol) My dad always complains about Mum watching the Soaps and what a load of rubbish they are, but ask him about a story line and he knows ALL about them :rolleyes: this coming from someone who claims to take no notice when they are on, he knows everything, he even discussed some plot or another over Sunday lunch the other week, not bad going from someone who hates them :naughty:

Grace

p.s He is sooo gonna kill me when he reads this :facepalm:

• Like 2

I saw the programme too, while I was cooking in the kitchen. Rather incensed, I went into the lounge to tell the other half who was half listening to it. Before I said anything he gave a big grin - he is much more laid back than me and knew I would be cross. National Park indeed!!

• Like 3

I guess some members of my family would have seen it, but they wouldn't have dared telling me about that answer! The Broads/ NP subject is tin hat/all groan and disappear time in our family. I have spent hours and hours and hours trying to explain the Sandford Principle  and the ongoing ramifications regarding their rich heritage but ............I just can't understand their attitudes. "Man the barricades?" hmph, more like whimper from the sofa...................You can't get the kids these days.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

And the reply is............ drum rollllllllllllll

Thank you your email regarding a question used on a recent episode of 'The Chase'.

We asked:

What is the most easterly of the UK's National Parks? 
A) The Broads
B.)The Cairngorms
C) The North York Moors

And gave the answer as The Broads, which is the furthest east of the three locations.

We strive to make sure all of our questions are correct and each one is researched thoroughly at the time of writing and is further sent to external verifiers for fact checking.

The Broads is a ‘member of the National Park family’ but with the additional functions related to maintaining the navigation. It was given an equivalent status to that of a National Park by its own specific legislation. Therefore the answer is correct.

Additionally, because of this equivalent status our Minister, Rory Stewart MP, has stated that he is more than comfortable for the area to be known explicitly as “Broads National Park”.

You will find some more detail in the press statement at this location:

http://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/news-and-publications/news/defra-minister-declares-broads-national-park-branding-common-sense

So in conclusion, I am happy that our question was perfectly accurate and there is no cause for further concern.

Regards,

Martin Scott
Executive Producer
The Chase

no cause for further concern :hardhat:
  • Like 1

So the Chase's producer believes a press release issued by the Broads Authority. Rory Stewart actually wrote that he is comfortable with the Authority, rather than DEFRA, deciding for itself whether to 'brand' the Broads as a National Park. I am not aware that he has actually said he agrees with that decision.

32 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

So the Chase's producer believes a press release issued by the Broads Authority. Rory Stewart actually wrote that he is comfortable with the Authority, rather than DEFRA, deciding for itself whether to 'brand' the Broads as a National Park. I am not aware that he has actually said he agrees with that decision.

It's good to see the Producer's primary explanation in Donny's quote:

..........The Broads is a ‘member of the National Park family’ but with the additional functions related to maintaining the navigation. It was given an equivalent status to that of a National Park by its own specific legislation. Therefore the answer is correct.............

No matter how much a few people feel the need to bang their drums over it, the Broads most definitely is a "member of the National Parks Family", and now even the official NP website refers to all of them as "members".

It's quite understandable that a TV quiz programme is not going to confuse or waste contestants' time with the superfluous extra wording.

4 hours ago, Strowager said:

It's good to see the Producer's primary explanation in Donny's quote:

..........The Broads is a ‘member of the National Park family’ but with the additional functions related to maintaining the navigation. It was given an equivalent status to that of a National Park by its own specific legislation. Therefore the answer is correct.............

No matter how much a few people feel the need to bang their drums over it, the Broads most definitely is a "member of the National Parks Family", and now even the official NP website refers to all of them as "members".

It's quite understandable that a TV quiz programme is not going to confuse or waste contestants' time with the superfluous extra wording.

Precisely and exactly, just as it is NOT legally a national park, an incontestable fact of history and parliamentary decision. Agreed, end of?

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

Precisely and exactly, just as it is NOT legally a national park, an incontestable fact of history and parliamentary decision. Agreed, end of?

I'm glad you agree that my post was "precise and exact" Peter,

...that The Broads is indeed a member of the National Parks family, with "an equivalent status to that of a National Park by its own specific legislation"......

1 hour ago, Strowager said:

I'm glad you agree that my post was "precise and exact" Peter,

...that The Broads is indeed a member of the National Parks family, with "an equivalent status to that of a National Park by its own specific legislation"......

Strow, you just don't know when to stop, do you!

Just curious though, who is credited with writing 'with "an equivalent status to that of a National Park by its own specific legislation"......?

If you write 'the BA' then I'll simply comment that they would say that, wouldn't they?!!;)