one for jennymorgan... the chase...ITV

donnygeoff

42 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Strow, you just don't know when to stop, do you!

Just curious though, who is credited with writing 'with "an equivalent status to that of a National Park by its own specific legislation"......?

If you write 'the BA' then I'll simply comment that they would say that, wouldn't they?!!;)

Stop ?

This is a forum Peter, how dull it would be if we all agreed with each other..... :)

You keep insisting that the Broads is not a National Park,

...and I keep insisting that the Broads is a member of the National Parks Family.

But funnily enough, both of our statements are 100% correct.

The Broads is not a "National Park" and it is a "Member of the National Parks Family".

Now, back to the focus of this specific thread, the TV quiz simplified the question to "Which of these is our most Easterly National Park", to keep the question short and simple for the contestants.

3 hours ago, donnygeoff said:

mmmmmmmmm,

Would not be too hard to ask...

Which of these is our most Easterly Member of the National Parks Family..

More accurate, and not a lot of time wasted in keeping the question short and simple for the contestants...

Is that degree of accuracy really that crucial in a TV quiz program ?

The dreaded "National Park" title may have become an obscenity to a few people on this forum, but any significance in those missing words is lost on almost 100% of the UK population.

After being informed by Uncle Albert that several people had died and the pub had burnt down I started making plans in my head to fly home from Israel. When he continued to tell me that someone was not a woman but a man and something was wrong with the cows...I paused and rewound the conversation in my head.
"Are you talking about the soaps you idiot?" I asked.
The reply came in the affirmative.
"I thought I'd catch you up on the news." continued Uncle Albert.
I put the phone down.

Uncle Albert was waiting for me with The Chase question when I visited him the other day.
"I knew wouldn't have seen it 'cos yer not normal!" Uncle Albert exclaimed.
The 'not normal' jibe is because I do not watch television. I spend most of my day looking at monitors making film and television programs that come time to relax I listen to music, read, listen to radio...anything but television.
"There! It's on the telly so it must be true...it is a National Park!"
I switched channel to a Star Trek episode.
"Quick Dad...hide under your bed....THE BORG ARE COMING TO ASSIMILATE YOU! Must be true it's on television!"
"Nyerr!" came the reply so like Wilfred Bramble you could have put him on the telly.

• Like 5

I do not watch this programme or have any idea how much money is involved. If the contestant knew the history of this question, they may have wondered if this was a trick question. I have no idea whether the contestant could have queried the question, but if their answer was exactly correct, or allowing for the "simple" wording, answered Norfolk Broads, two answers could have been correct. (I've not worded that very well). Anyway, had they given either of the answers and had been incorrect, They would have cause to be very upset (20 "upset" marks for each pound lost?)

I think the only recourse would be to be offered another chance on the quiz which I seem to remember happening on another occasion, different quiz I would think.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, johnb said:

I do not watch this programme or have any idea how much money is involved. If the contestant knew the history of this question, they may have wondered if this was a trick question. I have no idea whether the contestant could have queried the question, but if their answer was exactly correct, or allowing for the "simple" wording, answered Norfolk Broads, two answers could have been correct. (I've not worded that very well). Anyway, had they given either of the answers and had been incorrect, They would have cause to be very upset (20 "upset" marks for each pound lost?)

I think the only recourse would be to be offered another chance on the quiz which I seem to remember happening on another occasion, different quiz I would think.

The prize money at stake is usually between about ten and fifty thousand pounds, divided between up to 4 surviving contestants.

There is no option to query the multi choice answer questions, and each contestant must answer within 5 seconds of their opponent's answer, (usually the "Chaser")

The only three allowable (preset choice) answers where The Broads, The Cairngorms, and The North Yorkshire Moors.

How many of the seventy million plus population of the UK would be pedantic enough to risk all that money to give the "right" answer ?

The Broads is definitely not a National Park............

.........it's a proud member of the National Parks family instead. :)

38 minutes ago, Strowager said:

How many of the seventy million plus population of the UK would be pedantic enough to risk all that money to give the "right" answer ?

Perhaps someone who knows the real 'right' answer, someone who expects the program's researchers to have done their homework and not relied on the Authority's spin department. In reality this thread doesn't exactly bolster the program's credibility when a wrong answer is accepted as being the right one. Not a case of being pedantic, more a case of being absolutely and factually correct.

22 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Perhaps someone who knows the real 'right' answer, someone who expects the program's researchers to have done their homework and not relied on the Authority's spin department. In reality this thread doesn't exactly bolster the program's credibility when a wrong answer is accepted as being the right one. Not a case of being pedantic, more a case of being absolutely and factually correct.

Yes, that's what I thought Peter.

Only a tiny fraction of the UK populace then.

Probably the same proportion that would doubt "the program's credibility".

Meanwhile, the Broads still being a "member of the National Parks family" is beyond all dispute, even yours, and has nothing to do with anyone's spin department.

1 hour ago, Dajen said:

Refer him to Hansard Geof

for the avoidance of any doubt, the broads are not legally a national park and do not come under the national park legislation, and nor will they."
Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for DEFRA (Hansard 2015)

Dave

Good idea Dave,

What about this......

Dear Mr Scott,

Thank you for your reply, and of course the link to The Broads Authority publication.

Sorry my reply is a little late, as I have just returned from a boating holiday on The Broads.

Here is a little more of Rory Stewarts statement, as you can see the Broads Authority did miss a little from the beginning.

I am saying both those things. Just to reinforce that absolutely clearly for the avoidance of any doubt, the broads are not legally a national park and do not come under the national park legislation, and nor will they. We are very comfortable with the broads describing themselves as a national park, but that is essentially to express in common-sense terms to the public that it is a protected landscape with many of the qualities of other national parks.

The full details can be found here

https://hansard.digiminster.com/Commons/2015-07-08/debates/15070835000002/NorfolkAndSuffolkBroads

:hardhat:

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

Don't be too sure about that, I have just received an e-mail from ITV stating that the issue is being investigated further. 

I'll await the result of their "investigation" with interest Peter. :)

2 hours ago, Strowager said:

I'll await the result of their "investigation" with interest Peter. :)

Likewise. The Chase is now in possession of the full Hansard report and relevant EDP reports, several complaints from viewers and a misleading claim and incomplete quotation from the Authority. The result being that The Chase will now have to be both judge & jury. Somehow I reckon the result will be something of a fudge. 

42 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Likewise. The Chase is now in possession of the full Hansard report and relevant EDP reports, several complaints from viewers and a misleading claim and incomplete quotation from the Authority. The result being that The Chase will now have to be both judge & jury. Somehow I reckon the result will be something of a fudge. 

I reckon the result is a foregone conclusion too Peter.

Not a fudge, but a realisation that for TV quiz purposes

"National Park" is close enough to "member of the National Parks family", which is 100% correct.

It's very unlikely that they want to be used as a mouthpiece for that degree of pedantism.

12 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

They have been used as a mouthpiece for a lie so why not a mouthpiece for the absolute truth?

Would you agree that "the Broads is a member of the National Parks family" is the absolute truth Peter ?

7 minutes ago, Strowager said:

Would you agree that "the Broads is a member of the National Parks family" is the absolute truth Peter ?

No question of it. Will you now agree that the Broads is NOT legally a national park and that that is the absolute truth, and hopefully the end of this argument, Strow?

3 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

No question of it. Will you now agree that the Broads is NOT legally a national park and that that is the absolute truth, Strow?

Absolutely and unequivocally Peter.

JP's recent unilateral declaration of it actually being a full National Park is wrong, no argument there either.

So the point I'm still labouring so patiently is that that the missing "member of" words are a perfectly reasonable shortening of that question in a severely time constrained TV general knowledge quiz.

2 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Reasonable, possibly. Misleading, most definitely.

For one who continually promotes the precision of research and opinion shown elsewhere I find your relaxation of standards to suit your own arguments somewhat amusing!!

Sorry Peter, as with so many other published references, the  shortening of  "member of" to simply "National Park", is normal journalistic practice, with no sinister intentional "misleading".

The somewhat manic pursuit of anyone publishing "Broads National Park" is only justified if that reference is intentionally supporting JP's erroneous full NP claim, rather than simple abbreviation of the full and 100% correct "Member of the National Parks Family"