Has my head gasket gone?

Beginners mistake. The outboards all back together but didn't line up the water pump ( the 2 pipes didn't slot into each other when replacing the lower unit) so have to take the outboard off again to quickly line it up then should be sorted :)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Quick question. What does this do  and am I right to of adjusted it to sit on top of the plunger? Had the carb apart to clean it as had another issue with the outboard and noticed it looks different to other pics of the same model.

thanks again again :) Branden

image.jpg

image.jpg

Blimey that takes me back a looooong time to a bygone age of points/condensors and the like, if I am looking at what I think I'm looking at, that is a method of advancing the timing by a vacuum, could be wrong though as a photo showing a larger area would help, I would tentatively suggest that yes it should sit on top of the plunger other wise when the shaft is moved by the vacuum housing it will have nowt to push against etc

Hope this helps

Griff

• Like 1

Looks like a fuel pump for acceleration

When you open the throttle the left arm rotates and pushes the plunger with the spring on it down

This injects a small amount of fuel into the carb to give it a quick boost

21 minutes ago, FairTmiddlin said:

Stuart

These parts are greased for a reason, as they rub against each other degreasing causes wear! If you don't reapply grease afterwards

Its no good FT I would have to use a silicone spray, cant be doing wiv greasy bits........... wear and tear or not, the OCD always wins..:angel:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, FairTmiddlin said:

Stuart

These parts are greased for a reason, as they rub against each other degreasing causes wear! If you don't reapply grease afterwards

I agree, a greasy outboard is a happy outboard :) 

The lever also opens the butterfly on the engine side of the carb.

heres a pic of the entire carb and the butterfly opened and closed.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

I fix one thing and another thing plays up. Everything is now working but I can only go 3-4mph at full throttle :( I'm losing hope of getting the outboard sorted. Got a few things to check and if they don't work It doesn't look like I'll be cruising anytime soon as can't afford repairs at the moment.

Oh the joys of boating on a budget . :smiley-angry047:

The accelerator pump should not generally be in contact with the plunger unless it is in operation. Making it contact will over-fuel the cylinders too early which can cause the engine to hiccup when opening the throttle. 

Make sure you use a water-proof grease on all engine parts. 

Does it feel like it's struggling at full throttle? Does it rev all the way? Does it pick up properly when you open the throttle quickly? 

There's a small gap so the plunger isn't pressed unless I accelerate. The outboard sits perfectly in neutral, goes into gear and pulls out of the mooring at the normal pace and rpm. As I leave the mooring and accelerate the outboard accelerates smoothly and rpm rises as normal but at full throttle it still sounds sweet but doesn't have any go? No hiccups and no cutting out.

Full throttle has the sound and power of 1/3 throttle.

Branden.

Just thought, could a new inline fuel filter be the issue?

The old one was small and the pipe layed flat inside the cowling whereas the new one from the service kit is about 4 times the size and now sits above the fuel in and is held in place loosely by cable ties.

I may be restricting the fuel by having the filter high up and may have a pinch point in the fuel line.

could this cause half power?

That's one of the things on my list to check when I next go down. Will be annoyed if it is, as I've only done roughly 10 hours on the new prop although I did fit it last year but haven't had a chance to use it very much.

If it is at least it's an easy fix.

Thanks for the advice, I'll update once I've been back down the boat.

Branden :D 

Well, if you're getting full revs, no obvious weird noises and the like, the only reason you're not getting speed must be to do with drive. The gearbox drive dogs either engage or don't and there's no clutch to slip. The thinking must move to the likelihood that the propeller isn't turning fast enough.

Or, perhaps you've snagged a WWII mine? :-)