Pallet Furniture

CaptinDread

I got a pallet this morning and thought hey, I could start making the dinette area on my boat.
umm no, pallets don't lend themselves kindly for furniture, all I got was 2 good panels and lots of firewood.
it aint that easy making furniture out of a pallet.

ttps://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xlt1/v/t1.0-9/12799341_10156641170585441_7734458370372616156_n.jpg?oh=f012ea2501639885c1b46c4ae26b3f1b&oe=57671057

I've tried stripping pallets in the past to make a picket fence. Very very time consuming to get each plank off without damage. Good idea trying to make use of the pallet though as thousands are dumped but the wood lasts ages.

Keep an eye out for skips, that's my source of wood on the boat :)

branden

• Like 1

I built the frame of our summerhouse out of pallet wood. They were big pallets, about 10ft long, and did`nt cause any problems de-nailing them. You have to be careful about how you do it, but very often, you can find nearly new pallets dumped, and they can be stripped apart quite successfully if done the right way.

4 minutes ago, CaptinDread said:

oh so I'm doing it wrong picking up the deadfall in various woods and stuff....

Not nessecarily dread, it might just be that some pallets are of poor quality. We`ve had some pallets at work that have actually been made from hard woods, and these often disappear very quickly, surprise surprise.

The best pallet furniture I have ever seen was that made of complete pallets cut into smaller bits and reassembled like Lego blocks rather than dismantled. Hope that makes sense. Really a case of once a pallet always a pallet rather than trying to make it into something that it was not. Reckon that any pallet that does not have 'this is the property of whoever' on it is fair game. As for skips, just can't walk past without a quick mooch!

foto-of-pallet-garden-furniture.jpg

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

I find it amazing sometimes to see thingss like these, and sometimes marvel at how people can be so ingenious. I wish i`d thought of some of those in the link, they look really good.

I have a pallet seat at the allotment - 2 pallets, one as the back, the other cut in half as the front and seat of the bench. another source of good wood used to be cable drum battens, though most dont have them any more. I once built a shed using wood from packing crates the aluminium sectiond for windows arrived in 16 foot long timbers 1" thick and about 6" wide made a great shed.

Years ago the council were re-roofing the estate where I lived and as I needed a new fence I asked if I could have some pallets, they said take as many as you want, as it was the front fence and three sides of my back garden I ended up with around 100 of them, after wrecking the first few my Dad turned up and said you need this, it was a nail puller, he then told me you'll never do it with a hammer and crow bar as the nails are usualy glue coated and turned at the end, a day later using his nail puller I had striped down every pallet with very little waste and my neighbour had all the spacer blocks for his wood burner, I did some nice fancy cheveron fencing on my house and three neighbours front fences which I of got paid for, so if your going to make stuff from pallets and want the best amount of wood from them you need one of these,,

Nail Puller