Coming To A Phone Near You Soon!

51 minutes ago, SteveO said:

I read a biography of William Wallace recently. There is a strong chance that his family was from Wales.

cheers

Steve

it always amuses me those who are so vehemently against this when Wallace means Welshman and surnames were not yet settled. Since he originally supported Johan de Bailliol  against originally Robert the Bruce and then against Edward 1 and then switched sides to support Roibert a Briuis, against Edward 1 it's not surprising he was hung drawn and quartered as a traitor!!

Since the Kingdom of Strathclyde had been Welsh speaking it could be he was a local ( I read somewhere the last native Welsh speakers from the area died out in the 1500s). it's the Scots and Norman Nobility who were the foreigners. It was just Normans fighting each other in the whole of the UK once they had taken over with the little people squashed in the middle.