Freeman 22 - Owners / Sale?

BroadAmbition

Heyup Forumites.  A mate of mine Chris (Ex-RN) has just rang me, first time we have spoken in an age, anyroadup He informed me that he Dad passed away this month.  Consequently he has inherited a Freeman 22.  He has no intention of taking up boating as a pastime so needs to sell the boat onto an owner who will appreciate it.  Details are sketchy as he has not seen the boat in years and years but here we go:-

1964 purchased brand new by his Dad so only one owner. Apparently he is led to believe it is only the third or fourth one off the production line. The purchase was agreed in 63/64 at Earls Court boat show.   It is as original with an Anglia Watermota engine fitted.  The boat is on a trailer on a hard standing in Northamptonshire.  It has not been in the water for a good number of years but Chris has no idea how long.  He assumes it will not be in  as new showroom condition but also knows it has been looked after till it was stored.  He assumes it will need some tlc.  He  is not after a silly top price, just as sensible market value sale.

So anyone got any idea or someone within the freeman owners club I can contact?  Or does a forumite in here fancy an easy tupperware project and become a boat owner?

Thanks in advance,

Griff

• Like 2

Well the Freeman is a quality boat and the Ford Anglia engine was pretty much bullet proof. If some years of neglect (albeit totally justified) have not taken too greater toll that will be a really good boat for someone.

Just out of interest, how much would it cost to replace the engine if the ford is now dead?

46 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Well the Freeman is a quality boat and the Ford Anglia engine was pretty much bullet proof. If some years of neglect (albeit totally justified) have not taken too greater toll that will be a really good boat for someone.

Just out of interest, how much would it cost to replace the engine if the ford is now dead?

Cheapest option would be to rebuild the engine. Most parts are still available new.

• Like 1

If this is in original condition, one owner, with provenance such as being bought new at the Boat Show in the sixties, Then although I have no idea of current prices, I would say your friend is sitting on a very valuable classic. Don't sell it cheap!

I used to sell Freeman 22s for Percivals in the old days and they were always considered an investment, on which you would not lose money over the years. Regardless of the exterior, it is likely that the wood panelling inside will still be good, since their building was of the very highest quality.

And it comes with a road trailer. Wow! A bit too small for me, otherwise I would "snap it up".

• Like 1

The boat may well not be a restoration project, just need a spring clean, or it may be a basket case - I have no idea so cannot speculate

Chris will take some photo's and get them to me over the weekend.  I've been surfing google style trying to find a forum for freeman owners club, only found one and the last post on that was August last year so not very active at all.  Then I found a freeman owners club but with no direct contact, only a request form for a postal application form to join the club, that's no good as I don't want to join, just let the club know of this freeman for sale.  Don't we know anyone on here who is a freeman owner and a member of their club?

Griff

Thanks for your replies / advice to date.  Chris has been in touch and informed me that we need to put the brakes on this for a while as from a telephone call he received this morning.  There is some issue with family / Will as per the norm.  He may be in touch as and when he able to proceed again,

Griff