Ratatouille Tagliatelli.

thingamybob

I have just invented a new French/Italian fusion meal. A couple of days ago I made a pan of Ratatouille which is basically onion, aubergine, courgette, tomato and sweet pepper cooked in its own juice. As usual I made too much and refrigerated about a pint of it.

Since I have been a bit busy at home decorating I wanted a quick meal and opened the 'fridge door and there was the plastic pot of ratatouille beckoning to me. I went to my food cupboard and found a handful of tagliatelli nests which I boiled in salted water. The water was discarded and the ratatouille poured into the pan and heated with the pasta.

Poured onto a warm plate and covered in grated vintage cheddar cheese it was a really great quick meal. and whilst I am not vegetarian it would be ideal for people who are. Of course Parmesan could be used but I like the gooeyness of cheddar on pasta, sorry to any Italians who read this but us British are revolting as you know and we will modify any country's dishes.  

This would be a good meal for easy cooking on a boat, especially if some crispy fried bacon, chopped up left over bangers (if they do exist on boats), MM's black pudding or whatever was also added for a bit of protein. Ratatouille can be bought at most supermarkets in cans. The pasta uncooked keeps without refrigeration so this is an ideal boat meal.  

• Like 1

Until such time as I can find an electronics engineer who can repair my Isotherm fridge, I might be having to stock far more in the way of tinned products. Oh woe is me!

Still even though I have seen Robins most instructional video on opening cans, I do have a tin opener.

• Like 4

On ‎31‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 9:55 PM, MauriceMynah said:

Until such time as I can find an electronics engineer who can repair my Isotherm fridge, I might be having to stock far more in the way of tinned products. Oh woe is me!

Still even though I have seen Robins most instructional video on opening cans, I do have a tin opener.

Noooooooooooooooooooooo!

• Like 1

Some of those tinned chicken curries are not too bad. I have also bought some Dewhurst's tinned beef slices for my next eight weeks of causing chaos on the long suffering waterways. I have bought a similar product from the Co Op a while ago, I think some of the profit from that product went to Help the Heroes. I do not have the power to run a 'fridge on the boat so I often have to rely on tinned stuff when away from shops where I can get fresh food.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, JanetAnne said:

Smedleys sausage rolls? 

Vesta ready meals....  fill the locker at easter and they were good for the whole season! Tasteless, nutritionless but somehow spot on.

I used to like their prawn curry. Other dried stuff I have tried is the Beanfeast bolognaise and chillie. However, it can cause problems next day but might be useful to our raggie members    :naughty:

24 minutes ago, thingamybob said:

I used to like their prawn curry. Other dried stuff I have tried is the Beanfeast bolognaise and chillie. However, it can cause problems next day but might be useful to our raggie members    :naughty:

Not likely ! I've just had my sails cleaned and valeted ! :naughty:

• Like 1

Hi Alan,  Power is getting to it but it's dead. Turn it on and nothing at all happens.

Some time ago, I plugged in an inverter to a cigar lighter socket and it blew a fuse. All the electrics went off on the starboard side, including the fridge. I replaced the fuse and everything except the fridge came back. That's why I think some electrical component has blown.

I'm completely useless with that sort of thing and terrify anyone who sees me with a soldering iron. Any ideas... please... pretty please :)