Wanted.aquafibre 38

1 hour ago, vanessan said:

Is that really a ‘Broads Cruiser’?

Some were built by Cheeseman Rollo on the Thames, late 70,s / early 80's.  Had 2 where I worked and I think Bridge Boats in reading had a couple.  No idea where the EBay one comes from but I think it has the same dashboard and throttle as the Cheeseman Rollo boats, they had BMC 1.8's as well.

One of them sank in Windsor with water about a foot above the cockpit floor, I was one of the 2 people who raised it.  Oddly enough I'm pretty sure it was Vaughan who drove the crane from Staines to Datchet to lift it out the water !  Was back on hire the following week.

On 22/05/2018 at 18:38, 40something said:

She is beautiful, some of my finest work in there, its a bit sad to see it up for sale.  The owner bought as Price of Moonlight direct from Herbert Woods and spent a fortune on the refit work, did not like the old BMC so had a new  Nanni fitted with more HP then never really used the boat, I never saw it out of his doc!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MBA Marine said:

She is beautiful, some of my finest work in there, its a bit sad to see it up for sale.  The owner bought as Price of Moonlight direct from Herbert Woods and spent a fortune on the refit work, did not like the old BMC so had a new  Nanni fitted with more HP then never really used the boat, I never saw it out of his doc!

Good news for the next owner though, that engine alone has got to be 10k fitted.

49 minutes ago, 40something said:

Good news for the next owner though, that engine alone has got to be 10k fitted.

Certainly was Peachment did the engine, the upholstery was also very expensive, my bit of cause was great value :default_norty:.  A classic case of spending £25k on top of over paying in the first place add the two sums together for the current value, yes? sadly not, the price will creep down to a more realistic value and the owner take a (big) hit or the boat will go back to sitting dormant in his dock.

1 minute ago, oldgregg said:

And the rest...

It was just a guess, but having done a bit of research The engine alone  is 9k (gulp!), so yes most likely substantially more than 10k with fitting and perhaps a new gearbox, mounts, couplings, prop etc.

Well at least he got 40 hours use out of it :default_rofl:

20 minutes ago, 40something said:

It was just a guess, but having done a bit of research The engine alone  is 9k (gulp!), so yes most likely substantially more than 10k with fitting and perhaps a new gearbox, mounts, couplings, prop etc.

Well at least he got 40 hours use out of it :default_rofl:

I'd guess at about £15K fitted, plus any additional work..

This has turned into an interesting side thread, as so often the case is here and I enjoy. My feelings about the Westward Centre Cockpit that has been lavished is it reminds me of what is going on with Trixie right now.

The chap who bought this boat original off Herbert Woods clearly wanted to make the boat anything bu another ex-hire boat. There is a big risk here though because no matter what one does it will always be an ex-hire boat so there is only so much value that could be added.

In this case we have an interesting situation where two boats of the same type, built in the same year, both with 'new' Nanni engines are on the market at the same time. One has been kept reasonably tidy though cosmetically the hull needs a re-paint, the other has been transformed with new fixtures and fittings, upholstery, electric toilets, galley - you name it. There is £15,000 between the two.

Now if you wanted to turn the one for sale at Waterside Marine Sales into the same as that up for sale at NYA it would cost more than £15,000 - so therefore the NYA boat seems 'good value'. If however you just want a nice four berth boat with a centre cockpit in overall good order then NYA boat is way overpriced.

This reminds me of what I am doing with Trixie. The good point is she was never in a hire fleet, so from new has extras' the same boats in hire do  not have. Things like a bow thruster, nav lights, electric winch, duel wipers and so on. But I feel she was  over priced - not by much, just a couple of thousand but it was not worth loosing out over that knowing full well overall she was a decent good boat.

Now a lot of people would have left it there - but the road I am traveling down at the moment will not add much more value to the boat but will increase desirability. The fact is people know canopies cost a bunch, having things like the upholstery changed to a more modern neutral style, updating the galley, right down to the mechanical areas will make the boat be one that would stand out on the Brokers site. It won;t make me anything, but it does give me a lot of pride to have a boat in such good order and condition. I think perhaps that is what the chap who did so much with the Westward felt too - it is not about money, but happiness and pride in what you own.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Cant disagree with any of that, Trixie will be a good buy for her next owner, and you will have had the use of the upgrades and the pleasure of getting the boat how you want. If I could justify it I would love to make my Safari the best it could be.

The unusual think about the Westward is spending all that money and then not using the boat, but of course we do not know the personal circumstances of the owner, I hope its a just a case of too many toys rather than a health issue for example.

1 minute ago, 40something said:

he unusual think about the Westward is spending all that money and then not using the boat,

Well I am in good working order but I don't use Independence much, if there are to be any health issues present it is one of mental illness to get involved with boating to begin lol 

• Haha 1

Ain't nothing wrong with ex hire craft , after all quite a few members on here own one including me , as for the original gell thing just how thick is it nowadays after yrs of compounding ? , I will agree that there is a ceiling after which its literally throwing money away on less you intend keeping the boat and getting the benefits of all the improvement's .

Just had a look at this link, one seriously nice Westward 38, and the ctr ckpt version too, so bridges are not an issue.  If had the funds, this would be a boat i would give SERIOUS consideration to.
It is seriously nice but the owners wont come down on price too much so over budget.such a shame.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 1

Speaking from experience if I were looking at buying another ex hire boat I wouldnt want to be the first owner of it off the fleet unless I understood that theres a good chance its going to need a lot doing to it.

They sell them for a reason and they are not all that well looked after. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

This has turned into an interesting side thread, as so often the case is here and I enjoy. My feelings about the Westward Centre Cockpit that has been lavished is it reminds me of what is going on with Trixie right now.

The chap who bought this boat original off Herbert Woods clearly wanted to make the boat anything bu another ex-hire boat. There is a big risk here though because no matter what one does it will always be an ex-hire boat so there is only so much value that could be added.

In this case we have an interesting situation where two boats of the same type, built in the same year, both with 'new' Nanni engines are on the market at the same time. One has been kept reasonably tidy though cosmetically the hull needs a re-paint, the other has been transformed with new fixtures and fittings, upholstery, electric toilets, galley - you name it. There is £15,000 between the two.

Now if you wanted to turn the one for sale at Waterside Marine Sales into the same as that up for sale at NYA it would cost more than £15,000 - so therefore the NYA boat seems 'good value'. If however you just want a nice four berth boat with a centre cockpit in overall good order then NYA boat is way overpriced.

This reminds me of what I am doing with Trixie. The good point is she was never in a hire fleet, so from new has extras' the same boats in hire do  not have. Things like a bow thruster, nav lights, electric winch, duel wipers and so on. But I feel she was  over priced - not by much, just a couple of thousand but it was not worth loosing out over that knowing full well overall she was a decent good boat.

Now a lot of people would have left it there - but the road I am traveling down at the moment will not add much more value to the boat but will increase desirability. The fact is people know canopies cost a bunch, having things like the upholstery changed to a more modern neutral style, updating the galley, right down to the mechanical areas will make the boat be one that would stand out on the Brokers site. It won;t make me anything, but it does give me a lot of pride to have a boat in such good order and condition. I think perhaps that is what the chap who did so much with the Westward felt too - it is not about money, but happiness and pride in what you own.

That's a good post LR, that last line in particular,  makes us think.

"It's not about the money"... spending money may makes us proud of what we own, but will it make us happy. Spending hardly anything may not make us proud but may make us happy.

In the short time I've had a boat whenever I've visited the marina the boat that is out most often is the tattiest one, they don't spend money but sure do get some cruising hours under their belt.

There is nothing wrong with anyone spending significant amounts on improving a boat if that makes them happy, others may find their happiness in another way.

Just like Sheryl Crow said.  

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

I was going to by a boat and thought a deal had been done(thanks nbs) but it got sold.So Im on the lookout for an aquafibre 38 or similar style boat.if you have one for sale or know of one please let me know.I would consider a bounty style of the same size.thank you.

I have a Bourne 35 if you would be interested?