• Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

Not a member yet? Sign up here and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Too much going on in your head Griff. I see the signs - when I start forgetting stuff to take, it’s time for a few deep breaths and a head declutter! Safe journey home again.
  3. Today
  4. I'm missing something somewhere? I didn't realise the rudder had been replaced or did I miss that. I know the old one the bearing was loose? But didn't realise there was a new one in place??
  5. Visited client, fuelled up, went back home (forgot boat keys ) Departed at 1715, onboard for 2015. Kettle is on. No time for scran. Forgot my meds 😟 Griff
  6. I had booked a fuel fill at Boulter’s for 11am this morning, purposely at that time so I could have a slow morning. I wanted to do bacon rolls for breakfast, another ploy to entice Tony back again another time! They were appreciated. I struck lucky at Boulter’s. No wind. I’d drawn Tony a map so he knew where I was heading when reversing in. He’s not keen at all on helping me manoeuvre the boat but giving him time for the info to sink in seemed to work. I’m so used to mooring up on my own that I don’t give him enough notice so he’s still changing out of his slippers by the time I’m tied up and back inside! Our destination was How Hill. The day was beautiful. We saw a marsh harrier, a kingfisher and a duck who hitched a ride - you’ve guessed it - between Horning church and Ranworth. How Hill had four boats in including us. By the time we came back from a walk along to view Buttle Marsh and across to Neaves Mill, we were down to just two of us, and we were cuddling up to each other, nose to nose, so I moved up to Luna’s Nook by the wherry mooring. Buttles Marsh looking across to Neaves Mill and a smart bit of riverbank just upstream! It looked good on our cruise past. I’ll be mooring there again shortly. I then took a walk round the secret garden to take photos and make notes for my daughter who’s establishing a pond and bog garden at the back of her house. The azaleas are just getting going, as are the ferns which are beginning to unfurl. I helped a family with two enthusiastic youngsters moor up for their first time (other than their handover). When they said they were looking forward to tea at the pub after a long drive to Norfolk, I had to disappoint them with the info that it’d be a bit of a walk! They thought they were at Ludham Bridge, so they set off again, making a good job of leaving and turning round. Tonight there’s 3 cruisers and 2 yachts moored and it’s perfectly peaceful.
  7. Thanks Jean. Tony seems to have got in the swing of it all (apart from mooring up). The hot sunshine this afternoon went down very well indeed.
  8. Just a reminder that the quiz is at 8.30 tonight in the chatroom. There will be 40 general knowledge questions with a break at the half way point. All are welcome. https://www.nbnchat.com/chat/ Enter user name but leave Password blank
  9. The issue we are having is when the rudder was replaced, the nut is higher than the board on top, to remedy this the board would need to slope, directing rainwater right where the water comes in at the back, so Dave has taken the pieces back with him, in case we want to reinstate it at any time, with just me aboard when I am crewing, there's a slim chance of me getting my leg trapped, by removing it, we take it back to original.
  10. Our winter work was completed last week and after a very windy trip to our home mooring, we are almost ready for the season (I hope it warms up soon - I've had the heater taken out!). This years work included replacing 4 ribs on the port side and 2 ribs on the starboard side, replacing a bearer under the cockpit, taking out a grp moulded shower tray that was causing issues and remaking of the heads floor in wood, strip back of the toe rails and making good, Varnishing the transom and renewing signwriting, replacement of 4 teak roof veneers, fixing of a leaking brass roof vent, replacement timbers on the starboard side, removing a redundant water tank and lots of other small jobs. Oh and a complete hull repaint!! The team at Landamores have done a fantastic job and here are a few photos. If I may say, she is not looking too bad for her 88th season!
  11. Found another photo of the previous incarnation 2009
  12. If you remove the box over the steering quadrant you or a crew member will get there ankles clipped very painfully or be sent in the river. The current model which was more streamlined was fitted around 10/12 years ago replacing quite a large contraption that Herbert Woods carpenters fitted back in the late 1960s!
  13. Every landowner is entitled to charge for the use of their property be it mooring, car park, carvan/camping site or whatever, I am referring to those lost with no mooring signs or obstructions because of littering, vandalism etc etc. or simply trespassing. Fred
  14. Just on 8 foot at Somerleyton bridge at high tide.
  15. This morning a quick trip to lidls, where I got most of what I had forgotten to bring, plus a window vac (only £20 - bargain), back to the boat to bring her to sailing readiness. Low tide was something around 9am, so I would be pushing the tide a bit, finally left about 10am, and had a leisurely pootle down to Oulton Broad to discuss future upgrades to water rail, then it was time to carry on, nearly high water now, so not too bad heading downriver. I passed petos Marsh as there was a boat moored there- nearly stopped at Dutch tea Gardens, but decided to carry on, Somerleyton was empty, but I carried on, finally stopping at herringfleet. Where I decided it was time to have breakfast, beans on toast. Next to carry on with the cleaning, I have already used one pack of wipes, everything had a layer of black, everything needs cleaning, and there are a couple of leaks to locate.we took a decision to remove the box over the steering quadrant, as it frees up deck space, and needed repairs too. I have managed to dodge the showers and the sun is shining.
  16. Stuff it then. Going to visit a client locally for an estimate in ten minutes then straight on my way via fuelling Trevor Transit - Norfolk (Stalham) bound Measure up / take notes Quick coffee, Drive back home What's 320 mile between friends on a Friday? Gotta get back tonight as a stack of stuff to do tomorrow here at home / daughters Queen - 'Under Pressure' Griff PS - Thanks for the offers of gratis / loan gear too
  17. Is that a tool for extracting decent jokes from a Yorkshire man? You'll need a bigger one!
  18. In light of the previous post I revoke my opinion about changing battery clamps, foc is a good price, especially for a yorkie pud.
  19. Griff, i bought 6 battery clamps (3 +ve & 3 -ve) for Karizma when I was doing the electrical upgrades that are no longer needed, as I went with Victron batteries in the end that have different connections. You can have these foc if they are any good for you? you could pick them up if you're close to Worksop when you're out and about in the area?. Or I could post them to you? I also have a crimping tool (same as Smoggy's) if you want to borrow that................. Steve
  20. Good afternoon all, Please be aware that the Brave Futures Dragon Boat Challenge will be taking place on the River Wensum between Lady Julian bridge and Foundry bridge on Saturday 27 April 2024 between 10:00hrs and 14:00hrs. The river remains open to navigation however boaters should expect delays while the races take place. Please follow instructions given by the safety vessels and Ranger patrols. Kind regards, Tom Tom Waterfall Senior Communications Officer Direct dial 01603 756034 Broads Authority Yare House, 62-64 Thorpe Road, Norwich NR1 1RY
  21. I would suggest that too much wild mooring has been lost because the landowners of any simple piece of river bank have learned how to be greedy enough to expect people to pay for it. If you are looking for something that has grown "out of control" - that is it.
  22. Don't we just know it, new domestic water pump and a new water pump for the generator this week. They say things come in threes, the shower pump at home gave up the ghost on Monday...
  23. I worked in the Middle East for most of the 1990's, I still shudder at the thought of the welders wearing "safety" flip-flops. As Smoggy said, it kept the mid focused...
  24. The past is the past and times change and most things with it. While everyone has the right to choose their own lifestyle they also have a responsability to respect the rights and property of everyone else, to much wild mooring has been lost because of the way its been abused, sadly their is a significant minority who seem to think they are unaccountable and every one else suffers the consequences. Fred
  25. Hi Grif the pos terminals are a larger dia than the neg ones, the crimp! lugs come in different dia to suit the cable dia and dont need a crimper they are designed for soldering, this makes a neat and corrosion proof joint with max conductivity. John PS dont forget the Vaseline/battery grease
  26. I've never seen such an unfair bet I bet you get a lot more satisfaction out of yours as well!
  1. Load more activity
  • Sponsors

Norfolk Broads Network is run by volunteers - You can help us run it by making a donation

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.