Norwich Thorpe Moorings

Wonderwall

Tick tock, as the 2nd of July comes into view my head is very much on picking up my boat and chilling out.

Big time!!

I haven't moored at Thorpe St Andrew for many a year , not even nipped in for a look with they small bridges, so I was just wondering  if the moorings are plentiful round that way, and also a heads up on the local hostelitries , just on the small chance I might get a thirst on cheersbar

Nothing too posh for me, decent grub , dartboard or pool table is a bonus. Family friendly , quiz or juke box , you get my drift :naughty:

My very loose plan is to spend a few afternoon hours in Norwich then head there for the evening. Thanks in advance for any info folks.

cheersbar

• Like 1

You will find yourself in a good place. Steeped in history, not visited by many folk these days. Two good pubs, one opposite the river green the other just a five minutes walk up the road towards Norwich. A little further on The Town House, good food and bar. In the opposite direction, near to the eastern railway bridge yet another eating place. Easy access to Norwich by bus, cheap by taxi. Good solid moorings, never crowded.

Check the airdraft of your boat and of course the tides. 

Vaughan used to live on the river next to the river green. I am sure he would be delighted to offer further advice and information.

Andrew

• Like 3

Hi Neil,

Plan your passages in and out to the tides, your boat is pretty low airdraft if I remember rightly, and enjoy a wee gem of the southern rivers. We started from there till Richos closed The New Horizon yard. A bit of traffic noise but never put us off going there. Enjoy!

cheersIain

• Like 2

Thanks Andrew and Iain .

My air draft is low, I got through potter last year on same style of boat ( I'm on Saphire light this year) so I'm aware to keep my eyes open on the headroom but it should be fine. The rise and fall at Norwich can't be much is it?

Ive been studying tides etc the last few weeks, but things never go to plan anyway do they. You get in that boat and broads mode and just float about until all too quickly it's time to come home. I do however lap up every minute I'm there.

Norfolk heatwave July folks, you heard it first here :dance

• Like 1

I can't add any more, really.

You will get noise from the Yarmouth road all night, so if you want a peaceful mooring there is always the Commissioners' Quay, a little further downstream, before you get to Whitlingham bend' on what is now a NWT nature reserve. From there a short walk over the railway footbridge to the traffic lights and a 10 minute bus ride to Norwich or a short stroll to the Rushcutters, or the Buck

• Like 2

Hi Vaughan,

We have used Commissioners Quay(cut) on a number of occasions for visits into Norwich, as you say over the bridge and up the lane to the bus stop, the bus stop is on the left after you get to top of the lane.

We also tend to use the cut for mooring practice on our training days if nobody is moored there, it is a good place to see dragon flies. There was reports of people cutting or letting lines go last season, so if stopping overnight pick the port side of the cut and put down your mud weight, even though the risk of drifting is minimal.

Regards

Alan

• 2 weeks later...
On 2 June 2016 at 9:48 PM, Wussername said:

You will find yourself in a good place. Steeped in history, not visited by many folk these days. Two good pubs, one opposite the river green the other just a five minutes walk up the road towards Norwich. A little further on The Town House, good food and bar. In the opposite direction, near to the eastern railway bridge yet another eating place. Easy access to Norwich by bus, cheap by taxi. Good solid moorings, never crowded.

Check the airdraft of your boat and of course the tides. 

Vaughan used to live on the river next to the river green. I am sure he would be delighted to offer further advice and information.

Andrew

Great info as we are wanting to go into Norwich , sounds ideal place to moor and take a taxi into town.

Andy and Julie

Once upon a time, along time ago, it was a very busy road which passed the river green. The main road in fact from Norwich to Acle and onwards to Gt Yarmouth. Thorpe narrows, opposite Town House, was a nightmare for traffic going to the coast and from the coast, basically single lane for several yards, and of course several vehicles literally got stuck nearly every day. Today, the bypass takes the load so I guess you will have a restful night.

Andrew.