barnes brink craft

Guest rob fish

Not really noticed that. Now Herbert Woods - their boats only fitted with three way switches.... forward - neutral - reverse. Naturally, therefore, "on" means full power (in either direction).

It's funny how everyone seems to have a DIFFERENT fleet they associate with always being the speed offenders! :)

Could the associations be to do with fleet size maybe.. or do we all just like to hold a grudge against a different fleet?! :grin:

Any psychologists in the house?

Dan

To me there are some fleets that appear to suffer more than others from greater wash, probably due to Hull design, which does seem to make them look like they are speeding, when in fact they are probably doing the same average speed as any other cruiser on the river. Some of the larger Herbert woods boats and a few of Faircraft's designs come to mind with this, as can Brinks Royalle and Omega designs can give off a fair wash at lower speeds :)

Julz :wave

Any psychologists in the house?

Yes me. And I've already nailed my colours to the "Herbert Woods are the enemy of mankind" banner. :naughty:

Seriously though, it's uncanny how often a problem boat is one of theirs. And I don't just mean speeding - I mean noisy or selfish behaviour by the occupants is 9 times out of 10 one of theirs as well. I accept that there is the issue with fleet size, though that would put Rickos at the top of the offenders list and most often their boats are not a problem. Mind you, having hired San Elena it might be that the reason their boats don't speed is because they can't! The only way she'd do more than 6mph is if you dropped her out of an aircraft.

Having been moored at Royalls twice during the past week and having overheard a handover I can tell you it THOROUGH indeed and the hirer was left in no doubt about their responsibilities and appropriate behaviour. Funnily enough I don't recall ever seeing a Royalls boat causing trouble.... but then again it may just be because there aren't very many of them. ;)

This Summer has been worse than any in the last twenty years for bad behavior on the Broads, IMHO! Not only have we seen speeding as a regular occurrence, but overtaking on both sides of other boats, ignoring requests re passing from sailboats and general 'yobbish ' behavior. No particular yard seems to be more prominent than any other in my experience.

Commonly there has bee an exhibition of a' **** you ,I'll do what I want' attitude, more reminiscent of what can be expected in the 'Costas'.

I really hope that they go back there next year! :evil::evil::evil:

To me there are some fleets that appear to suffer more than others from greater wash, probably due to Hull design, which does seem to make them look like they are speeding, when in fact they are probably doing the same average speed as any other cruiser on the river. Some of the larger Herbert woods boats and a few of Faircraft's designs come to mind with this,

This is interesting as the newer hulls are of a 'low wash' design, I suspect the list of 'offenders' would go a little like this...

1) Richardsons

2) Herbert Woods

3) Brinkcraft

4) Horizon craft

5) leboat

6) faircraft

I also suspect the number of complaints would be in roughly the same order

I also suspect the number of good reports would be in roughly the same order.

:River Police

:grin::grin::grin:

1) Richardsons

2) Herbert Woods

3) Brinkcraft

4) Horizon craft

5) leboat

6) faircraft

I also suspect the number of complaints would be in roughly the same order

I also suspect the number of good reports would be in roughly the same order.

:River Police

:grin::grin::grin:

Remarkable coincidence, same order as the fleet size, what a surprise :roll:

Indeed it is strange, as one of the worst cases of heavy wash i ever witnessed on the Broads came from a fairly new faircraft duel steer design which was bows lifted almost up onto the plain just down south of St Bennetts abbey :norty:

I wonder if some yards fit restrictors to hirecraft to prevent speeding, where as some others leave them set rather higher?

Some boats that we have briefly tried out on Breydon for power have indeed had the capacity to move at quiet a speed, the fastest one we ever tried was Brinks Omega, which i believe is a Haines design, where as others it was more like trying to build up speed in a bathtub with a paddle against an incoming tide. :)

Hi Julz

its all about using a little thing called common sense we only opened jewel up full when we was over taking for a breif few seconds to over take. but it all depended if there were canoes dinghy's small sail boats ect or moored boats if there was anything in that list we would just take it easy.

even while going over braydon with the tide & against we neva opened jewel up more than 2000RPM as there was no need.

I wonder if some yards fit restrictors to hirecraft to prevent speeding

I realy think there is a need to if some people want to open up there hire cruiser up while over braydon then thats the place but if they speed on any othere part of the system then thats where the BA come in to it & out come the fines.

Jonny ice sliceice sliceice slice

We were out and about this Bank Holiday, and didn't see too much in the way of bad behaviour. We were overtaken on the wrong side when going through Horning, by a private boat crewed by early twenty somethings :norty: . When I pointed out the danger of doing so (ie being crushed against the bank) they didn't seem to take too kindly to my advice. We saw the same boat the next day, crewed by much older people (Mum & Dad maybe?) and they were navigating much more sensibly.

We almost had a coming together with a private yacht too. He was tacking towards us, but gave no indication where he wanted us. I decided for the both of us (having some experience sailey things) and tried to anticipate where he would tack. Unfortunatley he decided to change his course mid stream and we both had to take avoiding action. He had also just rammed a dayboat into the reads so methinks experienced sailer he was not!

Incidents with private craft 2, hire craft 0.

When it comes to speeding, I don't think any yards are worse that others, but it's as David says, purely down to fleet size. Yobbish behaviour tends to go the same way, particularly if a fleet hires to single sex parties on large boats. Mind you, whenever I see a Martham boat, they always seem to be overtaking me at full chat!

Busy it has been, but I for one am glad to see it and long may it continue to help the local businesses. :clap

(ps Rob fish..... are you related to Andyfish, cos the boat in the avatar looks vey familiar!)

Geoff, was that you we spotted playing footy with your lad down at Ranworth last week? :grin:

We did a fair bit of B.A spotting whilst we were down, and Bill walked by her moored at Ludham bridge, The Swan, and Ranworth, but were not sure who's who of her crew! :lol:

I hope master fish is paying you royalties mr fish.

The only real trouble I had with speeding and navigation on the wrong side of the river while on holiday was with dayboats.

:Stinky

Bet youve never seen us ont river geoff! dont you think them canoes are a pain,4 of em tried to over take us at the weekend talk about excessive wash! :lol:

Andy

Lovely shot Ian. I took out a half decker a few weeks ago from Hunters. The skipper decided I was big enough to be able to handle full sail and dropped the reef out. They can't half shift those old girls :grin: For me there is very little that beats the feeling of storming along with the gunwhales in the water using nothing but the wind :Sailing (And this from a stinky owner ! :Stinky )