Swallows And Amazons

Well I got around to seeing the film, the film in itself is not too bad - indeed a few of the people in the cinema seemed to quite enjoy it. there were enough references in the film to things in the book to justify the 'based upon the work by Arthur Ransome'. The russian spy sub plot was a bit of a take on Arthur Ransomes life, and if you ignored the discrepancies with the boats the sailing part was captivating.

the one bit I found disappointing was the overuse of zippers in the childrens clothes, they were at one point all wearing jackets with zippers, not too period as zippers were expensive and none too reliable in those days.

Well I just googled it and apparently I am wrong :-

• 1930s: Zippers are now common in children's clothing. In the late 30s, campaigns for women's 
    designer gowns featured the "infamous zipper" . Most zippers from this age and earlier are 
    hidden behind a fold or "flap" of fabric to conceal the vulgar style.

The mistakes were that the zippers were not hidden by flaps (and they looked very much like modern ones do).

This film may get all the die hard Arthur Ransome fans up in arms, but other than that its a good family film to take the kids to, some good humour moments too.

On 15/06/2016 at 4:00 PM, stumpy said:

Many years ago I picked up, possibly from Ranworth Staithe, a floppy book titled ""All Bootiful and Noo" the OT creation story translated into Norfolk. It was a gift for my old scoutmaster, an RC priest! He loved it apparently.

Re. Changing names - Remember Guy Gibson's dog??

Every week for the past four years I've driven down TillBridge Lane from Gainsborough to Lincoln. On the side of a barn by the road has been a blue plaque commemorating said woofer. I noticed the other day is was missing. 

2 hours ago, Timbo said:

Every week for the past four years I've driven down TillBridge Lane from Gainsborough to Lincoln. On the side of a barn by the road has been a blue plaque commemorating said woofer. I noticed the other day is was missing. 

PC now interfering in history ! Very sad. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BroadScot said:

PC now interfering in history ! Very sad. 

I don't know the reasons why it was removed, just that it's no longer there. Could be something as innocuous as being in the wrong place. A local historical society has stopped marking 'ancient' sites as although well intentioned they were often just plain wrong, and there are a lot of folks out there well 'up' on their knowledge of Wartime RAF activities.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Timbo said:

and there are a lot of folks out there well 'up' on their knowledge of Wartime RAF activities.

The Route Nationale 44 in France was used by all the truckers on their way to Italy in the days before they built the A26 motorway and it is still used by a lot of them today. On this road between Laon and Reims is a famous old "Routier" restaurant where everyone (including me) used to stop for lunch or dinner.

The locals always strongly insisted that this was the place where Douglas Bader was re-captured by the Germans after he had escaped from hospital, and was there trying to steal an aircraft from what was then a big Luftwaffe base at Juvincourt, on the other side of the road. they would even show you the out-building in which he had been captured and there was a lot of memorabilia in the place that seemed to prove it.

But it was a very long way from where the film suggests it happened, somewhere in Holland.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

The Route Nationale 44 in France was used by all the truckers on their way to Italy in the days before they built the A26 motorway and it is still used by a lot of them today. On this road between Laon and Reims is a famous old "Routier" restaurant where everyone (including me) used to stop for lunch or dinner.

The locals always strongly insisted that this was the place where Douglas Bader was re-captured by the Germans after he had escaped from hospital, and was there trying to steal an aircraft from what was then a big Luftwaffe base at Juvincourt, on the other side of the road. they would even show you the out-building in which he had been captured and there was a lot of memorabilia in the place that seemed to prove it.

But it was a very long way from where the film suggests it happened, somewhere in Holland.

As most of you will know Douglas Bader was a Donny lad. Until this year my desk I used had belonged to Bader, which I kept with a copy of the bill of sale and a copy of Reach for The Sky all purchased by my Grandfather. I say until recently as the desk gave up the ghost resulting in me having to quiz Uncle Albert as to where the oak had gone from the 'oak desk' it turned out Uncle Albert when he had the desk stripped out the oak to make bird boxes. Another entry on the list of 'Things Uncle Albert Has To Answer For'.

Number one on this list is occupied by 'Turning down a well known Broadland Pub in the early 1970's when it was offered to him as a gift'.:facepalm:

At number two is 'Smashing Up Seven Year Old Timbo's Piano' because 'He's on the thing all the time and who's ever heard of this Chopping bloke, he plays something we know the words to or he doesn't play at all!":facepalm:

I'm not bitter. Did I say I was bitter? Me? No!

• Like 5

Oh...no big story there Vaughan, Old Judd bought the contents of the Vicarage at Sprotborough at auction amongst the furniture etc were some personal items and documents of Bader. The desk and book were kept but Judd returned the documents via the bank.

• Like 3