Swallows And Amazons

When they made the TV film "Swallows and Amazons forever!", actually about the Broads, my friend Pat Simpson of Stalham Yacht Services, got the job of "sourcing" all the old boats used, and arranging crews to make sure they were all in the right locations, at the right time for filming.

It took most of the summer and he reckons it saved his business, as there was a deep recession at that time. The only boat they couldn't find was the "Death and Glory" so they had to build that in the sheds out of an old dinghy. After the filming he kept it for his young sons.

I thought the film was excellent and very true to the books. Only trouble, as usual, was that they can never seem to find actors with a Norfolk accent. They all spoke Somerset!

• Like 5

Poppy, at least one large American religious group has re-written the Bible and another has even added its own 'book' to it. I spent over ten years working with two members of a major American religion, the one that knocks on the door just as you are sitting down to a meal  or to a long drawn out visit to the 'little boy's room'. How I staved off being converted I really don't know! Dr P is not the only master of interpreting the established written word to suit his own demands and arguments.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

I thought the film was excellent and very true to the books. Only trouble, as usual, was that they can never seem to find actors with a Norfolk accent. They all spoke Somerset!

An opportunity missed Vaughan. I wonder what happened to The Death or Glory. It was at SYS many years at the end of the wet shed

Andrew

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Hi Peter,

No Father Christmas! I am gutted:naughty:

I hope you are not going to say that to your grandson, I guess Christmas this year is going to be very special to your family.

Regards

Alan

Alan, Father Christmas is alive and well.

P.S, Just pandering to Iain, all his fault, as usual!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Poppy, at least one large American religious group has re-written the Bible and another has even added its own 'book' to it. I spent over ten years working with two members of a major American religion, the one that knocks on the door just as you are sitting down to a meal  or to a long drawn out visit to the 'little boy's room'. How I staved off being converted I really don't know! Dr P is not the only master of interpreting the established written word to suit his own demands and arguments.

Its easy, when the visiting person knocks, I have a bookshelf by the door, as I get the relevant book out of the bookshelf I prominently make a point of checking all of the other religious books to make sure I have the correct one, also in the bookshelf is stored both of erich von danikens books, and I make the point through the conversation of comparing what one book says to what the others say, they dare not get me onto ezekiel, or the daniken and other books are referenced too (there is one very good book written by a renowned Nasa rocket scientist about ezekiels spaceship, going closely into the science and mathematics of the bible descriptions. :naughty:

• Like 2

Many years ago I picked up, possibly from Ranworth Staithe, a floppy book titled ""All Bootiful and Noo" the OT creation story translated into Norfolk. It was a gift for my old scoutmaster, an RC priest! He loved it apparently.

Re. Changing names - Remember Guy Gibson's dog??

I understand that a follow up to this new version of Swallows and Amazons is already being planned with the Coot Club getting a similar makeover. Mrs Barrable, it turns out is really an FBI agent, a role unlikely to be reprised by Rosemary Leech, more likely Anjelina Jolie-Pitt or Rachel Weiss. Her arch nemesis will be the seemingly innocent Constable Teddar, a North Korean Spy likely to be played by Rowan Atkinson, sent to Britain's favourite wetland to test Kim Jong-un's latest secret weapon, a bio-mechanical Depleted Uranium Enriched Stealth Attack Duck codenamed Covert Offensive Ordnance Torpedo, or COOT for short. Teddar enlists the unwitting help of local children to watch over his COOTs until they are ready for deployment when they dive below the water and as their name suggests launch themselves against the hulls of ships. In a bizarre twist the Hullabaloos are the good guys in this adaptation, a crack British Commando team from Humberside who pose as tourists enjoying a holiday afloat on a specially adapted Gin Palace fizzing with all the latest technology. However their boat starts to get a bad reputation among the locals by running it's engines at all times of night and day at moorings in order to power all of the secret surveillance and communications equipment (not to mention boil the kettle) and it is thus that it comes to the attention of local boy Tim Gudgeon, son of the village eel catcher and leader of Teddar's COOT protection society. Codenamed "Silverfish" by Teddar, Gudgeon becomes worried that the noise is likely to disturb a nearby COOT and so casts the vessel adrift but, due to the 360 degree tracking TV aerial nobody onboard notices until long after the vessel has floated downriver and out to sea, leaving a juicy thread for yet another sequel. With our Humberside Heroes neutralised by Teddar's unknowing assistant it is left to Mrs Barrable to thwart the evil plans for world domination when her dog, not this time a pug but a highly trained assualt Shih Tsu dives headlong into the river and starts destroying the evil weapons. Sadly, a local wildfowler witnesses these attacks and, believing the dog to be out of control unloads both barrels of his twelve bore in the general direction of the animal meant to deliver global salvation. Thankfully the gun wielding nature lover is both visually challenged and a crap shot, instead hitting a raft of the very water birds he had intended to protect and wiping out the last of the COOTs. Barrable confronts Teddar who attempts escape on a vintage sailing boat but is soon chased down by Barrable, wake boarding along behind a classic speedboat, towing rope in one hand and assault rifle in the other. Teddar and his vintage craft disappear amidst a hail of bullets. Meanwhile the release of all that depleted uranium into the watercourse devastates fish stocks. The film end's with Gudgeon, sat at his fathers knee in their traditional eel catchers cottage asking the old man, "father, what is Prymnesium Parva and why should we stop derdging the rivers?"

• Like 10

• 1 month later...