Yards Closing?

JennyMorgan

I forgot to mention, Blakes also ran a towboat service from the Yacht Station, which attended anywhere between Acle and St Olaves, free of charge to hirers of Association boats.

So no need to call out all the Lifeboats, as one has to now.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

I forgot to mention, Blakes also ran a towboat service from the Yacht Station, which attended anywhere between Acle and St Olaves, free of charge to hirers of Association boats.

So no need to call out all the Lifeboats, as one has to now.

Vaughan, I believe the hire boat fed finance a tug boat provided by Maffetts (or used to a few years back). I guess though with the new health and safety regime boats stuck at breydon are deemed a safety concern so the lifeboat is sent as a precaution.. not quite sure why they just don't get told to sit there for 12 hours like the rest of the world though.

Interesting topic though.. my view is certainly the Broads needs boats (and hireboaters) otherwise at best, it's going to be a very very expensive playground with limited facilities.

(P.s mummy and daddy.. can you buy a boat yard for £150k thanks... http://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-60239894.html)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JawsOrca said:

P.s mummy and daddy.. can you buy a boat yard for £150k thanks... http://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-60239894.html)

Alan,

When it was a working yard, mooring up there was no easy task, even for regular hirers like me, to take on water or pump out. The tide bombs along there at times.

cheersIain

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JawsOrca said:

Always demand for resi.. all honestly doubt my folks would do it sadly ;) 

Anywhere further North and i would be looking at remortgaging property, but Reedham is just a bit of a ball ache to get to on a daily basis. Now if City Boats was cheaper that would be a different story, not much closer but so much easier for me to get to.

• Like 4

Without mammoth investment, few small yards will achieve the kind of services that seem to be craved here. Investment needs to be recovered and in these uncertain times, you'd have to have a very gung-ho attitude to risk.

Also with investment goes planning permission...... The hoops that need to be jumped through to get even a bloody concrete path laid are not worth the hassle - (I really do mean a concrete path; nothing more). 

City Boats looks like it's being sold off in bits. I have seen a day boat operator from the North whizzing around on a City Boat recently leading rise to me wondering what's happening. The cruise boats are gone (at least the business is no longer operating, i don't know if the boats have been sold or not). 

The Pearson yard would likely need a lot of money throwing at it to make it operational as a working boatyard again. Once upon a time I would have had the zeal for such a challenge (and maybe even the cash), but not any more. Like the rest of you, I can see where the industry is heading. 

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Just to say the hire yard in Reedham referred to earlier on this thread does not seem to be closing. It is in the new Hoseasons brochure and on sale on the website. The yard was never actually named on the thread but could by a little investigation easily have been narrowed down to the only working hire yard in Reedham. I am sure the speculation will have done nothing to further their business prospects. Good to see it is not "another yard biting the dust"

Regards

David

• Like 4

David, I think that it soon became clear that the yard in question was Pearsons and not Sandersons. 

http://www.hoseasons.co.uk/boat-holidays/united-kingdom/the-broads/reedham/?adult=2&child=0&infant=0&nights=7&range=3&pets=0&start=03-06-2017

I have horrible memories of mooring up those old Sanderson boats with turtle back fore decks when they were slippery with rain! How boat design has moved on!

12 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

David, I think that it soon became clear that the yard in question was Pearsons and not Sandersons. 

http://www.hoseasons.co.uk/boat-holidays/united-kingdom/the-broads/reedham/?adult=2&child=0&infant=0&nights=7&range=3&pets=0&start=03-06-2017

I have horrible memories of mooring up those old Sanderson boats with turtle back fore decks when they were slippery with rain! How boat design has moved on!

We hired a Sandling (woody 2 birth) quite a few times in early 70's well kept boat's

Charlie

Sanderling was an excellent 2 berth boat. It was the first boat we hired so I have a soft spot for Sandersons. They had four of them and we hired all but No 3 I think. I believe it was ahead of it's time having a hard top over the wheelhouse - a forerunner to the sedans you see today. 

Regards

David

2011-07-08_70.JPG

• Like 4