Has So Much Changed In 2 Yrs??

mickey123

Back on topic. I think in general most people are decent and respectful. Never had any bother with stag parties and always have a wave and a holla with them as they go past as most are just having a laugh (but not had anyone flash us either).

One group even apologised earlier this year as we reeled our lines in whilst fishing to help them moor. But they had done nothing wrong and we told them so and wished them a good weekend on their boat. They were the quietest stag party I have ever seen and my mate and I were quite disappointed as we thought we could have a few beers and a laugh with them. Oops that's me owning up to being a pxxx head.

The speed thing in my opinion is probably more prevalent with hirers (new ones) who go by the rev counter rather than their SOG - but I'm not excluding privateers. And the chase to the next mooring may be part of the issue. I think people often think the boats have 2 speeds - stop and fast (some have found reverse though). At Polkies a hirer came in with the tide and went flying past, turned round to try again then shouted "Oops now I know why we were hurtling along at 1200 revs". Jolly nice people, but didn't realise the tide flow.

A few weeks back was the fist time I have ever felt sea sick on the Broads (OK a bit of head spinning). Moored up at Polkies Mill and from first light until we crawled out of bed we were tossed around with boats going flat out to get across Breydon, mainly hirers.

Then going down the New Cut a private 42ft Broom fly bridge must have been hitting nearly 10MPH with a wash like a Sunami. I would have taken a picture but I was the only one in the cockpit and had to make some pretty severe course changes to avoid going into the side - a small hire boat would have had no chance.

So, I see all sorts not being very careful and considerate and maybe it's a sign of the times, but when the weather is good and you meet nice people it is a joy to be out. As Marshy said - try and enjoy it and make the most of the nice bits.

ps. I think as we do get older we do become more intolerant - seen it with my parents and it is showing in me now:party:

• Like 3

As someone who spends quite a lot of time afloat on the Northern Broads at all times of the year I probably see as much as anyone, outside of the few  peak weeks the stag boats for want of a better description probably make up something like a 1/3rd of hirers on weekend breaks which in itself probably makes up the majority of hire`s, without them even the large yards would find it hard to stay viable, as for behaviour there are always going to be those that go over the top in my experience they are more likely to be in the 40 to 50 plus age group than 20 to 30 year olds, I would also suggest that the family from hell parties are just as numerous, I have spent many enjoyable days with groups of lads just having a laugh and bit of fun something we should all aspire to, the only pub that seems to attract unacceptable behaviour is the Ferry Inn if you avoid that then there shouldn't be a problem, a lot of the younger groups that want to party tend to raft up on Malthouse Broad etc and don't bother anyone.

Fred

• Like 3

Goodness me, I've just logged on and seen these pictures and have to admit to coming over all peculiar and quite faint, does red wine lower blood pressure, I truly hope so cheers

Very nice guys, thank you very much for posting :love I never thought the day would arrive, but it has......I can now honestly say I have seen Stuart without his uniform on, now please excuse me I really need a lie down :love :naughty:

Grace

• Like 3