Has So Much Changed In 2 Yrs??

mickey123

6 hours ago, TheQ said:

Which one had the scantily clad ladies on the can?

That would be Tennents....and the lovely lady in question if my mind serves me was              "PENNY " ........strange how some things stick in your memory:naughty:

Ron, I mentioned rather than singled out Richardsons because in the past Clive Richardson has expressed his opinion on this debatable topic on this forum. In the past many yards did make a stand against loutish behaviour. Hoseasons are remarkably and surprisingly accurate in their customer  classification, they were well ahead of the likes of Google in this respect. Regrettably some of the big yards just wanted bums on seats and did not support that stance. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Ron, I mentioned rather than singled out Richardsons because in the past Clive Richardson has expressed his opinion on this debatable topic on this forum. In the past many yards did make a stand against loutish behaviour. Hoseasons are remarkably and surprisingly accurate in their customer  classification, they were well ahead of the likes of Google in this respect. Regrettably some of the big yards just wanted bums on seats and did not support that stance. 

Unfortunately behaviour patterns have changed throughout the UK since I first ventured on the Broads in 1971, then it was a special place where respect for your fellow man was paramount, today things are totally different. In the seventies I was happy to go into town with my wife on a Saturday night and any trouble was usually confined to a one on one confrontation, handbags at dawn etc.I would sooner be cast into a Lions den than take my family into a town or city for a night out these days. Some people go out looking for an altercation as the reason to venture into town. In my humble opinion this is down to a perceived thought of them against us.

Some of the younger element in our society whether lads or lasses feel compelled to go against what ever authority deem as the normal because they can. Talk with them you may get respect, treat them as Lepers and they will rebel

The more you show your disapproval at their antics the more they will rebel. Norfolk Broads user's welcome to the real world.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gramps said:

Unfortunately behaviour patterns have changed throughout the UK since I first ventured on the Broads in 1971, then it was a special place where respect for your fellow man was paramount, today things are totally different. In the seventies I was happy to go into town with my wife on a Saturday night and any trouble was usually confined to a one on one confrontation, handbags at dawn etc.I would sooner be cast into a Lions den than take my family into a town or city for a night out these days. Some people go out looking for an altercation as the reason to venture into town. In my humble opinion this is down to a perceived thought of them against us.

Some of the younger element in our society whether lads or lasses feel compelled to go against what ever authority deem as the normal because they can. Talk with them you may get respect, treat them as Lepers and they will rebel

The more you show your disapproval at their antics the more they will rebel. Norfolk Broads user's welcome to the real world.

Ron, I'm 9/10ths with you on that one.

Although I tend to agree, I'm pretty sure everyone thought the same things about us when we were all mere yoofs, there seems to be  more aggression and violence now, but remember the battle royals between the Mods and Rockers, all the ban the bomb marches that turned into riots, I personally don't think things have changed that much apart from the easy access to cheap drink, I think a lot of the problem is we are all older and turned into our parents and saying the same things they said about us,,

• Like 5

I think gramps is right is much of what he says and what a sad reflection on our society today. 30 years ago we didn't have the so-called 'stag parties' on the Broads, or not so you noticed anyway. I don't believe we had the same drinking culture that there is today, sometimes it seems to me that the younger generation can't survive unless they have a can or bottle to swig out of. And it's mainly alcohol IMO that causes much of the bad behaviour that goes on. I would not moor at Norwich YS on a Friday or Saturday night, I steer clear of overnight pub moorings and seek peace and tranquility instead. I get a little concerned if a boat load of rowdy young lads is moored close by (although I will happily go and have a chat and a laugh with them). These are all things that I believe wouldn't have been the case 20/30 years ago but everything changes. With the costs associated with foreign holidays and trips due to increase, I think we can expect more stag parties to descend on us. Probably more families will be attracted by boating 'staycations' too, that can only be good for the hire industry but stags and families probably won't mix too well.

This is not a rant against youngsters and/or alcohol - I was young once (ages ago!) and I still enjoy a drink (or two!). It's just my take on how things have changed. cheers

• Like 3

It was school parties I first encountered on the Broads. Teachers taking their turn at staying onboard, while the others enjoyed a light libation. I would hazzard a guess, many of those same kids have over the years been with their mates on a boating holiday. 

However, I have stood chatting to lads on a stag outing, who were actualy interested in places to visit.

I agree today its a get pickled quick with the strongest booze available, not a good idea for the liver etc!:norty:

I was young once, we ALL were, and I still am, in mind if not in body. What happened to Monica was deplorable. Sadly these things happen, but let's hope they are isolated incidents.

cheersIain

• Like 1

In the past tollerance was much more prevelant.

People openly tollerated racism, homophobia & sexism..... witness the frequent comedy programs that openly referred to it for laughs!!

Witness the culture that allowed celebrities to abuse their fame so that they could indulge their foul sexual perversions.

The sixties, seventies was a very violent period with much anti establishment activity ant youth violence.

So is it really worse now?

Re: staggers & henners ....... it is currently in vouge to spend obscene amounts of money on stag & hen parties. I feel sorry for the participants who feel compelled to cough up their share for the jolly so not unsurprisingly they probably play hard.

I actually think, with a few exceptions, our young folk today are a credit to us all.

• Like 1

With the greatest of respect to you old grumps, you really do have short memories - and I am sure people like PW will confirm that the Broads in the late 60's and 70's were a lot worse than they are today. Of course there are differences but then people used to speed outrageously by fiddling with the engines, the rivers were filthy, and boats 4 or 5 deep on lots of moorings!  Or have you all forgotten??

By and large, I would suggest you are all wearing rose coloured glasses and remembering the best bits - to me the Broads remain what they have always been and except occasionally, pretty much the same. I suppose in your idyll you dream of drifting up to pubs and find yourself chatting to a local in a cosy bar - they mostly closed long long ago through lack of trade!

Stop moaning and enjoy the Broads for what they are - a unique and splendid haven for people and wildlife to coexist and to be brutally honest, if you don't really like it, go off to find your Shangi La which I honestly believe is in reality a figment of your imagination!!

• Like 7

Ok, I freely admnit it MM, I rarely agree with you, but your post above is right on the nail.

Yes, I'm sure that the levels of respect for other people is lower than before, yet Smellyloo is quite correct to remind us all of the terrible shows we all laughed at before, not to mention Bernard Manning!!!!!

Various things have lead to these culture cxhanges. An apology can be read as an admission of liability so leaving ourselves open to litigation. An offer of assistance is also fraught with similar dangers.

But, all in all, I'd rather be helping the person I'd just apologised to, moor his boat than be safe anyday!

• Like 1

To lighten the mood here is Wildfuzz cica 1980 on the broads........ not a drink in sight, but both ears pierced and "big" hair.....  Was I a lout, yes I guess people the age I am now would have said so. Don't know about rose coloured specs but I would like me hair back!!!!!!!

Stuart 007.jpg

• Like 4

It's a funny old world isn't it? Just because someone has a different viewpoint, they're moaning! Forum = Discussion site. This forum's members are Broads people of varying ages, experience and requirements. When we are not on our boats, and even when we are, we enjoy debating with each other, giving opinions if asked and trying to help others where we can. It's because we are all so different and often have opposing views that we find each other interesting, sad that isn't always recognised.

• Like 5

Think it was me that said ban the bomb Vet! perhaps riot was the wrong word but there was a lot of violence, the main point I'm making is that things arn't that different now, apart from far too easy access to booze, yes I know it's all to easy to blame things on that, and I well remember getting tanked up with my mates and heading off to Brighton or Margate just for a fight with the rockers, but then i was 10.30pm last orders, order a few pints and neck them as fast as you could, now it's off to Tesco, Asda at 3am to restock,  I have four grandkids that do things that I moan about or tell them off about, then two minutes later I think to myself hold up I did that, I'm turning into my Dad, nothings changed in my eyes, it's just 45 years later,

• Like 3