Has So Much Changed In 2 Yrs??

mickey123

I do wonder when we had all those hundreds of extra hire boats 20-40 years ago, where they all moored. I saw few, on the now lost places along the Bure where the hard quay headings has been removed

There are moorings at Wroxham, granted it depends how busy with boats out at Brinks and NBD add the moorings through the bridge - yes I know lots are too big to go through - add what is left beyond the railway bridge, there still are moorings. 

If you are a first timer perhaps they did not realise they can use the boatyards there? Perhaps some expect not to have to walk into the shops etc. 

We had moorings outside The Kings Head, but the last tine I was there, not a mooring ring or post was there.

I agree though, advertising it as the capital of the broads, and not backing it up with the moorings for hirers etc, is possibly not a good idea.

cheersIain

Gramps, Ron, I did use the term 'lads' rather than, for example, all male parties. 'Lads' as in lager & anti-social, loutish behaviour.  Holiday destinations that do bar all one sex parties unquestionably loose out, as with any ban, there are always loosers but clearly they think that loss worthwhile, as do I.

An interesting topic. Now i have been coming up on the Broads for the past 40 years or so, and yes its changed. I remember the boom years in the 70's & 80's, boats moored 3 deep at Yarmouth and Norwich,and I am sure there was plenty of all male crews then, Indeed I was one of them, but we didn't go charging about abusing people and being rude. But then society as a whole has changed. The pace of life its self has increased. Its look after " No one " attitude now with many folk.  Many moorings in the popular locations were often double moored back then. Can you imagine that happening today ! there would riots and all sorts going on. Yes there are a few idiots on the rivers today, but thankfully still in the minority.

What annoys me is the lack of respect for the boats and other peoples property. When I hired a boat I treated as if it was my own for the week I had it. I know many many people do the same. Now I have my own boat and its made me very cautious as to where i moor now. Why do they think its acceptable to use my boat as some sort of guide and locating device and bounce down the side into a mooring? Do the hire yards teach them this I wonder ? ( i doubt it ). But then not a word of an apology or at best its a false smile and a some poor attempt at making a Joke out of it!

Now I am sure if I drove into the pub car park in a hired JCB , parked beside their car and bounced down the side in doing so they might be a little upset. ,But because its a boat is appears acceptable to them , Why ?:norty:

Thankfully nothing serious yet that requires a claim to the Hire yard, but I fear its a matter of time.

I'm told that can be a nightmare also depending on the yard?

• Like 7

I don't think things are much different now than they have ever been .... it's just that as you get older the things that excite you change. You forget the hot head that existed when you were seventeen and assume it's the world that has changed ... not you.

The only certainty is that with age comes the certainty that life was always better in the past ..... But was it really?

• Like 3

1976, 1 gallon Scrummpy Cider  £1 of which 25p was on the container, two pints of which put you exccedingly over the limit (the higher English one that is, not the current lower Scottish lower one).

If you managed 4 in a short time, it was time to fall over...

First legal pint in the SGTs mess on Benbecula accompanied by parents Aged 16, First illegal a year or two before that, on the train from school in Inverness to Benbecula via lots of places ( Left over cans were hidden in the lifeboats on the ferry from Uig to Lochmaddy for the trip back). Tennants Lager if I recall...

• Like 1

When I first visited the broads jumping from pub to pub was pretty much how my family did it.

But the rise of technology, on board storage and I must say, a lack of mooring has started us cruising  and surviving. We pack a lot of food now safe in the knowledge that the fridge will do its job. I know this sounds tight but a good meal plus drinks and you could drop a ton or more a night.

Thats why the rage at Wroxham. It really only leaves Stalham as a main shopping point. Lathams is alright but it has its limit.

Lets face it! if you want quite you don't moor near pubs, not ideal but it's been that way for years whether they were all male, female, mixed or family, where there's booze there's going to be noise, which brings me to another point of why things have changed over the years, you old f**ts like me will remember this, at one time you could only buy your booze from off licences or pubs, most shops shut for half day Wednesday and shut around 5pm, Pubs opened from 11am to 2pm in the day and at night 5pm till 10.30pm, in 1994 they started sunday opening everywhere,  then some started 24hr opening, supermarkets started sell booze real cheap, just look at Roys and the trolley loads you see coming out of there, years back booze was limited due to where you could buy it and opening hours, now you can buy cheap booze nearly 24/7 the only break now is Sunday when everything closes at 4pm and dosn't reopen untill 7am Monday morning, so there's the Answer it's Tesco's fault :evil:

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Mowjo said:

years back booze was limited due to where you could buy it and opening hours, now you can buy cheap booze nearly 24/7 the only break now is Sunday when everything closes at 4pm and dosn't reopen untill 7am Monday morning, so there's the Answer it's Tesco's fault :evil:

A jewish friend of mine said to many many years ago " in the future you can shop any where as long as its tesco's" not far from fact 30 odd years later is it

Charlie

Tesco wouldn't agree since the wheels fell off, although they are recovering from  Aldi / Asda / Lidl / Morrisons / B+M Stores and even Sainsburys getting in on "their " patch ( especially now Sainburys have bought Argos).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheQ said:

I do wonder when we had all those hundreds of extra hire boats 20-40 years ago, where they all moored. I saw few, on the now lost places along the Bure where the hard quay headings has been removed

I wonder what the ratio was between hire and private boats 20/30 years ago. Many of the hire boats around then would now be in private hands and the ratio will be vastly different. I can't remember when hiring 30 years ago ever having trouble finding moorings, but then we seldom do now as private boaters as we avoid busy times like the plague! 

30-40 years ago many of the older boats would have been wooden, sadly many are no longer with us. What will happen to all the old Fibreglass boats as the market gets saturated with retired plastic Hire craft? There cannot be an ever increasing level of owners and most plastic boats, so far, have no sign of wearing out the hulls and decks.

My boats a youngster at 35 years old when you think some GRP boats from the 50's/60's are still going strong, I won't be around to see it but I think sometime in the distant future everyone will own a 45ft ex Richardson boat, should be fun finding moorings if there are any left, we went to moor up at South Walsham last year, four of Richo's 45footers spaced out and one little private boat and the whole mooring was full, you used to around a dozen or more boats moored there,,

8 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Gramps, Ron, I did use the term 'lads' rather than, for example, all male parties. 'Lads' as in lager & anti-social, loutish behaviour.  Holiday destinations that do bar all one sex parties unquestionably loose out, as with any ban, there are always loosers but clearly they think that loss worthwhile, as do I.

I am afraid we will have to beg to differ on this point JM. I use the term lads to mean the male members of my family that are younger than me, they are neither loutish or lager louts. It is also interesting that you singled out Richardson's as a negative example when another boatyard based at Hoveton actively promotes hire to stag and hen parties.

To get back on topic it is down to Broads users to report anti social or criminal behaviour to the Authorities and not expect good businesses to discriminate against any one group, that is what the Authorities are there for IMHO.