Puffer On The Broads.

JennyMorgan

This pretty little 'puffer' went through Mutford Lock at Oulton Broad this afternoon. Who wrote that the Broads is lock free? What is it about steam that makes such boats almost as attractive as sailing boats? Something fascinating and very acceptable about steam driven boats, apart from sooty deposits on white sails.

P7070942.JPG

• Like 7

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

What is it about steam that makes such boats almost as attractive as sailing boats.

P7070942.JPG

Tea brewed using the steam run off pipe and bacon and eggs cooked on the coal spade. ( even if the flame is actually oil in origin)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, quo vadis said:

She passed through St Olaves yesterday and spent the night tied up at the Bell :wave Very pretty vessel.

That she was on Lake Lothing, when I photographed her, I wonder if she is or was doing a round the island (Lothingland) trip? For example Gt Yarmouth to Gt Yarmouth via St Olaves and Lowestoft.

Great picture Peter.

I have to admit that when i saw the title of this thread that my mind was thinking of a Clyde Puffer.

As in "The Vital Spark" and "Para Handy".

Nice little boat though.

Must be great to own something like that and what a great way to travel the rivers.

At one time, certainly on the Thames and The Lakes the boiler had to have an annual pressure test which was really quite expensive.

Not sure now. Would it come under the BSS? Or do steam vessels have their own regs? I suppose I could ask at the Museum in Stalham.