Lovely Evening

JennyMorgan

I hadn't heard of this one and I imagine (I hope) that it is peculiar to Nicholls. At Locaboat this certainly did not happen and most hirers had already paid a non-refundable damage waiver, which mean't you did not leave a security deposit, and also did not pay for damage. There was also an inclusive package which covered the damage, a flat rate for fuel consumption and the hire of 2 bicycles.

Le Boat have various optional extras including a cleaning waiver, which means you can just leave your breakfast things in the sink on the last morning, and drive off!

When you have a large company of several hundred boats these deposits are calculated so that there is a good profit to the company at the end of the year, and all damage repairs are well covered!

I am afraid that holidays in France are very much more expensive than the Broads and I was surprised to see what really good value can be had in Norfolk, for a week's holiday, when I was there in the spring.

I suppose it's like a lot of things these days - read the conditions before you book!

• Like 2

That's going a tad too far I think, don't get me wrong, everyone should leave their hire boats clean. I may have told this story before, forgive me if I have but one year we took our hire boat back to the yard and as always asked the staff if we could look on certain boats with a view to hiring them. We boarded Suncharm and she was filthy, the carpets hadn't been swept for at least a week and work surfaces covered in food stains, as we were looking round another couple got on (I assumed to look round also) we said our hello's and I commented on how filthy the last people had left it, she said.......

"We were the last people, we've just come to have a last look to see if we have left anything"

According to im indoors my face was a picture :facepalm:I just say hello now, any other thoughts I keep to myself

Always treat the boats you hire as if they were your own, that's what we do, we wash the decks, sweep carpets and clean kitchens and bathrooms etc but if they want me to do a full valet service, then they can pay me lol

Grace

• Like 7

I agree Gracie and we always leave our boat as we would expect to find it.    I just cannot understand a boatyard expecting kids (I know they are late 40s) to get into a little boat and start cleaning the sides of the boat and cleaning fenders etc.  Then to threaten them with a 150 euros fine.   It didnt help that at the time there were tremendous thunderstorms taking place. They were soaked to the skin by the time they had finished and it ruined the holiday.    If they had not had let it slip that they had had to pay extra I would have been none the wiser and just thought , thank goodness they have to gone to a better Company that cares a bit more.   

I rather gather that this package included two bikes but as they had their cousin with them (three little girls from 8 to 14) and they are 8 to 14 and the oldest one is not going on 40 like some.    They had a bike each which was a plus.  All in all this has been a better holiday by far.

• Like 1

To have to get into a little boat to clean the sides in a thunderstorm is bad enough, there's also the risk of falling in and getting injured or even worse, it would definitely put me off hiring from them

Eric, I have seen that before, thanks for posting though, unbelievable and totally disgusting, not to go as far as Monica's children experienced but maybe hire yards should charge a cleaning fee when boats come back in such a state, my parents taught me to treat things and people with respect and how you wish to be treated yourself, I would be totally ashamed if I left a boat in that state

Grace

• Like 4

I can't believe the state of that boat at Royall's. When we hired we used to spend our last night well away from the boatyard, get up early and cruise back in good time. I would spend the couple of hours thoroughly cleaning inside and tidying up, I don't think I saw much of the scenery on that last run back! One boatyard actually commented that I hadn't left their cleaners anything to do. It makes you wonder what these folks homes are like!

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...