Lovely Evening

JennyMorgan

Came back from the WRC this evening. As we turned into Oulton Dyke the wind dropped, eventually to absolutely nothing. Did we fire up the aluminium donkey, did we heck! Gorgeous evening, the tide was going our way, we weren't in a hurry. The mist was laying feet deep across the marshes and overflowing the reed fringed margin and spilling onto the river. Coupled with the greys, mauves and pinks of a subdued sky, the evening that accompanied our drift back to our moorings was magic.

Just thought that those of you away from the Broads would like to know that!

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Came back from the WRC this evening. As we turned into Oulton Dyke the wind dropped, eventually to absolutely nothing. Did we fire up the aluminium donkey, did we heck! Gorgeous evening, the tide was going our way, we weren't in a hurry. The mist was laying feet deep across the marshes and overflowing the reed fringed margin and spilling onto the river. Coupled with the greys, mauves and pinks of a subdued sky, the evening that accompanied our drift back to our moorings was magic.

Just thought that those of you away from the Broads would like to know that!

Hmmm and NO pics JM, :cry yer drummed out the brownies :naughty: Oh sounds idyllic BTW.:party:

cheersIain

• Like 2

Well we were on the Broads, moored up at Bramerton Common and would agree JM it was one of those evenings.

i did have my phone with me, I find the iPhone 6s an excellent camera near as good as my Canon EOS DSLR!!!

Here are a few of the shots! No mist though here.

Just for those of you not lucky enough to be here on the Bootiful Broads :angel:.....image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Enjoycheersbar with a cold one from the fridge.

• Like 13

I could do without threads like this one when i`m 250 miles away and working 50-55 hours a week  two guns.

Never mind, we`re up again from 5th November, so maybe we`ll something else lighting up the skies?. 

The description you gave JM sounds absolutely fabulous, and reminded me of a time when i had "Mistral" moored at Rochester on the Mudway. I kept my dinghy at least half a mile away from my mooring, and had to row every time i went out to her. On this particular day, the sun was out and there was hardly a breath of wind, and instead of rowing back, i layed in the dinghy, and let the tide do the work. It was magical, and i could have easily drifted off to sleep, but i had to keep an eye for where i was drifting. I even had a boat come towards me asking if i was ok. Absolutely magical.

• Like 1

It reminds me of a night we spent mud weighted on Barton Broad, no wind, a mist on the water, the geese were gaggling (I think that's what they do) and a sunset like you wouldn't believe, we must have sat outside the boat until about 2 in the morning, I remember thinking I didn't want this night to end, I have never felt so relaxed and at peace with the world in all my life, the wine may have helped a little though lol

Grace

• Like 9

And then comes the dawn. . . .

100_1353.jpg

Canal du Midi, near the Ecluse Rond d'Agde.

100_0996.jpg

Canal du Rhone à Sète, in the reed marshes near St Gilles.

100_0435.jpg

Right out in the marsh, between St Gilles and Aigues Mortes. Here you can sit with your morning coffee and watch the bitterns flying overhead.

• Like 13

my son ,his wife two little girls and a cousin are at this moment in canal du Rhone et sete right on the Med, the mooring to moor overnight £23. They are on a hire boat . Has taken them 2 days to get there each a 12 hr trip. But they are there at last.

Vaughan you must be at the same place as my son and daughter in law and three little girls.   I have just received this photo of them crossing what my daughter in law describes as 'like being at sea'.      They are heading for  Port de Marseilan.   I am surprised you havent bumped (not literally)  into each other.   Yesterday they were all swimming in the sea at Palavas-les-Flots, France.   That is what cost them £23 to moor at for 24 hrs.     They are on a boat from Nicholls at  Aigue mortes.

IMG_5196 (1).JPG

It is almost impossible to take a photo of the Etang de Thau as it is such a large expanse of water. It is 18 nautical miles long (as I remember) and on a very clear and calm day you can actually see the curvature of the Earth as you cross it. And yet it is in the protected waters of an inland lake and so, as your family say, it is like being at sea. When they get to Marseillan they will find it is just like a coastal fishing port, and a lovely place to spend the night.

• Like 2

We did this trip in 2006. Hired a boat from Connoiseur in Narbonne, It wasn't until we were crossing the Etang de Thau in a very strong wind that we discovered that the fridges mounted one on top of the other were not secured and they  were powered by gas! my friend and myself were obliged to hold them in place for the duration of the crossing as they started to fall forwards  out of the housing.

I count that as one of the best holidays we have ever had and your photos brought back just how magical it was. I was recovering from 6 months of arduous chemo therapy at the time so particularly special memories for me. I vividly remember the "fun" of coming in to moor in Marseillan ( we promptly christened it Marzipan) in a howling gale in a very large boat with next to no power to get us out of  the difficulties the narrow channel combined with the wind put us in. My admiration of my husband at the helm knew no bounds, one of his finest moments!

regards,

Carole

• Like 2

We've not been on the French waterways, but had a day trip to a pretty little town called Meze last year, which is also on the Etang deThau in Southern France, when on holiday in the Gorge du Tarn.  It does look very inviting . . . . . a holiday afloat and a reasonable chance of good weather.

DSCF7284.JPG

DSCF7288.JPG

DSCF7292.JPG

DSCF7309.JPG

• Like 7

On 31/07/2016 at 8:29 AM, CaptainJoshie said:

Well we were on the Broads, moored up at Bramerton Common and would agree JM it was one of those evenings.

i did have my phone with me, I find the iPhone 6s an excellent camera near as good as my Canon EOS DSLR!!!

Here are a few of the shots! No mist though here.

Just for those of you not lucky enough to be here on the Bootiful Broads :angel:.....image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Enjoycheersbar with a cold one from the fridge.

Beautiful hope to see some like this myself again soon

The Wench

• Like 2

Last year when Son and Daughter in law hired a boat in France I posted that they had to clean the boat inside and out when returning to the yard/marina.     This year they told they did not have to and I found out why.   They had to pay extra to have the boat cleaned outside this time.   So be warned.    The only reason it came to light was they were telling me about these poor people in front of them also moored at Nicholls were cleaning all of yesterday afternoon the outside of the boat as fenders , windows , structure the works had to be spotless and ready for the next people.   So be warned,  if you dont pay extra you will spend the last day cleaning the boat.    If the companies on the Broads did this they would be out of business in six months.   I nearly forgot to add , if the boat does not pass muster you have to pay 150 euros.