Wind Amber Warning Thursday

ChrisB

Trees on the railway are Network Rail's own fault. In the days of steam there were never trees on the sides of railway lines. They were kept clear, in case the steam engines set fire to them.

That also means, of course, that there were never "the wrong kind of leaves" on the track!

• Like 2

Sadly thats quite true Vaughan, in the early 70's, Britsh Rail were even stopped killing under growth under cable runs that previously was always DDT applied. All in the name of nature conservation. This i believe also applied to banks no more grass and undergrowth cutting, this in tern has lead to numerous trackside fires even in my time on there, in turn causing delays. Lets not go onto leaves and wrong type of snow.

Charlie

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Bound2Please said:

Sadly thats quite true Vaughan, in the early 70's, Britsh Rail were even stopped killing under growth under cable runs that previously was always DDT applied. All in the name of nature conservation. This i believe also applied to banks no more grass and undergrowth cutting, this in tern has lead to numerous trackside fires even in my time on there, in turn causing delays. Lets not go onto leaves and wrong type of snow.

Charlie

DDT was/is an insecticide.  It would have had no effect on undergrowth.