Wanna Job?

JennyMorgan

Head of communications, sometimes propaganda kommissar, also has the duty to inform, both the public and Authority members.The Authority has long been criticised for it's hard to navigate website, hopefully the new post holder will be able to sort that one out. Information is paramount and I don't begrudge the Authority its communications department. 

What I do resent though is the misuse of the media to mislead, for example the outgoing head of communications titling herself as 'Broads National Park' on both Twitter and Facebook.

Also take a look at the BA's 'Broad Sheet' where Packman tells us that the Broads Authority has the same powers as a National Park, wrong,if it had then it would be a national park. The Authority does not have Sandford nor does it have the legislation to be an N.P.

We have the 'information superhighway' and traditional media, plus a mountain of internal bumf and useful leaflets thus a communication officer, albeit not necessarily a large department, is surely par for the course. 

It seems to me that what the Authority are good at is producing Graphs and Pie Charts and report and document after document of in depth information where they manage to hide the things that they dont want us to know about!

Propaganda I agree with but I wouldnt say they are great at Communcation!

• Like 1

Don't be too taken in by fancy job titles - if you have been out of the marketplace for as long as myself or PW (!) you will realise that inventing self importance is a new game - and embraced by the public sector!!

Now this will be controversial but I don't think that his salary is especially large - perhaps that is because I came from a background of salaries above the norm ( no I won't say!! ) but to perhaps put it into context, I see that over 800 school headteachers received salaries in excess of £100k last year - and of course pensions to match!!! 

Grrrr!!

I agree with you marshman! If you compare with some council chiefs salaries then JP's isnt anything new and could be said to be more modest than most. 

But,  its not so much the size of JP,s salary thats my issue its more what we are actually getting for the money.  

A man who is more interested in wasting cash rebranding when concentrating on the job in hand would be so much simpler! 

39 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

You are joking of course! Don't forget that we will also be funding his correspondly large pension after he retires.

So you want a better calibre of CEO but on a smaller salary?

what salary do you think will attract a suitable calibre of applicant?

1 minute ago, Matt said:

So you want a better calibre of CEO but on a smaller salary?

what salary do you think will attract a suitable calibre of applicant?

A CEO better suited to the Broads is number one on my wish list, his salary level is almost immaterial. 

• Like 1

On 30/03/2017 at 7:05 PM, Matt said:

A massive £83k........

Underpaid if you ask me.

£83k for managing 140 people?

I know wages in Norfolk are low, but for a CEO worth his weight, managing that many people and that much responsibility, you're probably looking at 2 or 3 times that.

Just now, HemsbyPie said:

I know wages in Norfolk are low, but for a CEO worth his weight, managing that many people and that much responsibility, you're probably looking at 2 or 3 times that.

If you are refering to a private profit making company I would completely agree with you! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HemsbyPie said:

If he were worth his weight, plain & simple. Don't forget that his turnover is about £3,000,000. and that the Authority is patently over staffed. Should his salary really be commensurate to his empire building and subsequent inefficiency?

• Like 1

Is turnover the appropriate term to use? In my mind the term turnover would apply to business, the BA is an Authority.

I would say the BA isnt a business selling its products and services to generate its turnover, its given money by central government and toll payers. 

29 minutes ago, marshman said:

Pete - for what its worth your t/o figure appears to be vastly understated as I think it nearer £7m!!!!

You could well be right. I would still question the real value of employing the man though. Only my opinion, of course, but I envisage a huge cost of realigning the Authority and rectifying the ethos within the BA after his retirement.

For a kick off it should not be for the CEO to set and drive the agenda as Dr Packman has  done, that is the job of the Authority itself, and that would only be a start.

The more that he is paid then the greater will be the burden of his pension. 

I think their revenue stream is about £7m. I have not seen up to date figures but the latest I did see was about £3m from tolls, £3.5m from National Park grant ( this was going to be cut) and about £0.5m from EU funding. ( which you can now kiss goodbye to).

16 hours ago, dnks34 said:

If you are refering to a private profit making company I would completely agree with you! 

So does the Broads not make millions in (tax) profit for the government then? Every time you hire a boat, empty the waste, pay mooring fees, eat & drink at a pub, buy fuel... I would hate to think how many millions it's all worth in tax and duty.

£83k isn't going to attract the highest calibre candidate, you get what you pay for and in terms of CEO, £83k won't get you much...

The Broads as an industry generates an income to the Government but I cant really agree that as a result of that we should be paying over the odds for the chairman of the Authority.  How much the industry charges for its pint of beer or mooring fee has absolutely nothing to do with him so i dont see how you come to that opinion but its certainly another way of looking at it!

In my opinion big mistakes are being made countrywide trying to run local authorities as though they are a business with a CEO at the helm and all that goes with it.  They are not, the reason for their existance is to provide a service to the public, not be penny pinching to shut down public loos and stop rubbish collection etc etc.  They are not in my way of thinking there to make an income but to spend it on the services we all need and not to pay over inflated CEO's salaries. 

A private profit making company can pay what it wants to its "executives" as its coming out of cash they have made for their company and does not need to be justified. 

If Packman was getting on with the Job in hand I see his role as pretty similar to that of a council chief exec.  So if he wasnt living in this fantasy land what would his actual responsibilities be?

For those employed in Authority I also believe the term "executive" is over used! 

Chief Of Authority would be more applicable, for me the term executive is implying something its not. 

• Like 1

The chief executive is paid to do what is required of him. In a nutshell he is adviser to and servant of the committee that is the Broads Authority. Take it a stage further, we are his customers and as such deserve far greater respect rather than we presently receive. Those of you who attended to Authority meeting when the the Tolls Review was accepted will have seen the modus operandi and drawn their own conclusion. The baying of the assembled masses outside of Yare House after the meeting was not something that Packman could possibly be proud of. Would he survive outside of the world that he has created for himself within Yare House? I have to say that I doubt it. Strangely enough I see similarities between Norwich City Football Club and The Broads Authority! 

• Like 2