Wanna Job?

JennyMorgan

Why does the Broads Authority need a Head Of Communications?  

The term "head" implies its a department in which there are other staff also responsible for communications.  

Is this a necessary and justifiable cost?  

I wonder how many departments the Broads Authority has that it could function just as well without. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

http://broadsdev.nationalparks.gov.uk/jobs/current-vacancies/head-of-communications

Bye bye Lorna? Another head honcho leaving the Broads Authority? Has she seen the light? Nice little earner for somebody. Makes me wonder what really important Authority people earn? Timbo,one for you?

I'm afraid I'm excluded from applying having 'dabbled' in politics. Which then makes me ask the question how can a candidate validate their 'political' credentials if by your very involvement in politics you are excluded from applying? 

1 hour ago, ChrisB said:

From my commercial background it does seem a bit of a top heavy for a £7m turnover organisation. The attached is a bit out of date but gives an insight. Start at about page 16.Annual-Report-2015-web-version.pdfAnnual-Report-2015-web-version.pdf

Page 20 looks impressive! 

Also an impressive list of non-jobs. As Jaws has said an audit is needed, to that I would add a cull of the aforementioned jobs.

How on earth did Dartmoor manage to cut 38.3 or whatever jobs?

Thank goodness the BA withdrew from the climate change fiasco, like what the UEA is involved in, and a huge waste of money that has been! Why on earth did the BA become involved in the first place though? What possible influence could it have had on the research, let alone on the impact? On top of that much of the research must surely have been duplicated with the UEA? Madness, muddled thinking and self aggrandisement gone haywire. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, marshman said:

Pw - you are at it again!!! Methinks the Broads is just a bit more than the waterways or do you have a specific bent towards that???

Remember once again, that is just YOUR view!!!

I agree Marshman, the Broads are more than just the waterways. However their area is tiny compared to other NPs and yet their headcount does not reflect this. They have only 70 less than The Lakes who have a vast area and navigation on Windermere, Ulswater, Derwent Water and Coniston and twice the visitor numbers at least.

• Like 1

Agreed, Marsh, just my view, but there is a clear argument that such research should be left to the universities and institutes. Take for example, prymnesium parvum, who came up with the answer to that one, was it the Cranfield Institute or the Broads Authority? The Broads Authority is insignificant within the big, wide, world, especially the real one. The three core responsibilities are quite clear, do them and do them well, even conservation (!), no need to dabble in research that is already being covered by the academic halls of learning. I can only imagine that the would be great man is hoping to gain international recognition. Sorry to be so scathing but I find it incredibly frustrating to see the Authority, even after more than a quarter of a century, still seeking out a role for itself rather than knuckling down and getting on with the job in hand. These people are public servants entrusted to do what the Broads Act requires of them, nothing more, nothing less. The Broads is a very wide cathedral but one thing it should not be is an ego trip for one frustrated individual.

Are the BA actually THAT bad?

Havjng looked at a couple of their open positions in the past they do not pay very well, below average I would say so maybe this is how they afford to employ so many people? And maybe that's why (if what I read above is true) they fail to attract the right candidates? 

34 minutes ago, HemsbyPie said:

Are the BA actually THAT bad?

Havjng looked at a couple of their open positions in the past they do not pay very well, below average I would say so maybe this is how they afford to employ so many people? And maybe that's why (if what I read above is true) they fail to attract the right candidates? 

No, perhaps not! Firstly, re pay, some are not exceptionally well paid but, for example, the CEO is paid well above grade, much to the annoyance of some of his underlings. 

Back to bad or not, a difficult question because in many respects they are very good. When it come to profligacy they are good, very good. Now that planning has been reduced to ticking boxes then why the duplication of planning services locally? Why the dabbling with tourism, leave that to the industry that benefits, surely? I could go on but it's all been said before.

My gripe with the BA is the same as with every publicly funded body - and yes you can include all the councils, the NHS, the police and the fire brigade!!! 

They are all exceptionally good at creating, and preserving jobs, but on top of this they are really good at preserving perks such as redundancy pay at ridiculous levels and pensions which most private schemes can only dream about!!

The point I was trying to make is why always poke at the BA? Its the WHOLE of the public sector which requires poking but they are just too scared to do that because of union power still - and also because funding of all of the above is not a historic problem but for one for our children and indeed their children. The nettle should have been grasped years ago, but its still put off time and time again, and yet, you hardly ever see it mentioned!

• Like 2

You know, I struggle with some of the figures I read. The Broads are down for 8m visitors per annum. If you divide 8m by 52 weeks that is 153,000 per week throughout the year. Unless they include visitor numbers to Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft.  Or are they extrapolating figures for the 12000 private boats and saying they are visitors. Any road up it still sounds a big number to me. 

If you go to the lakes it is heaving in Windermere, Keswick and the like and vast numbers of luxury 50 seaters are hogging the roads and crawling up the passes, so I can see 16m but 8m for the Broads? I have a problem with that number.

Maybe someone closer to the industry could explain how the figure is calculated.

I still do not see why an Authority such as the BA need a head of communications......... or am I really really missing something! 

If it were head of PR or head of marketing I could possibly grasp it but communications?!  We all communicate, they are not British Telecom......surely any necessary communications can come from JP himself.  All he needs is employees who know how to say "yes"  its pretty clear what happens to those who have used the word NO! 

Anyway I imagine they already have a PR & Marketing department and I should probably stop giving them ideas.

It just sounds like jobs for the boys/girls to me.

Maybe the new head of comms will be better at letting EVERYONE know about the next toll increase before its actually been implemented.... (if JP lets them!)