Mooring At Thurne Dyke - Thoughts?

RickWhiteHorse

On 2017-6-30 at 0:16 PM, kfurbank said:

Maybe the better idea would be to agree a common mooring price with the farmer that is charged on both sides, say £4 per night, with the mooring fees collected by Rick's staff. Two different receipt books could be used and then the money from the farmers side is given to him and Rick keeps the money from his side non refundable over the bar, otherwise the moment you make one side effectively free by refunding money you create more of a demand for that side at the expense of the farmer. The farmer wins by not having to go and collect. Rick wins by getting a modest fee from his side and by co-operating with the farmer and collecting the fees on his behalf retains the moorings for use by his customers. You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours kind of thing.

£4 seems a reasonable fee to pay whether you use the pub or not, if it helps to keep both sides fully open.

I think that this is the best suggestion of all.  I cannot imagine any owner in their right mind wanting to pay an annual fee to have their boat rammed several times a day by novice skippers who have no idea what they are doing, especially in  a dyke as narrow as Thurne.

I certainly wouldn't mind a £4 fee to moor and not have it refunded against food in the pub, which is what I've been doing for the last 3 years anyway, as the pub side moorings have been in such a poor state of repair, I wouldn't even consider mooring a hire craft there, never mind a craft of my own if I were lucky enough to have one.

As Rick has already stated, any solution must be workable and the cost of administration cannot outweigh the potential income or there is little point in doing it.  Some of the convoluted schemes suggested so far would need far too much input from Rick to be workable. 

Surely anyone who can afford a Broads holiday, or who has funded a craft of their own, could afford £4 to moor, regardless of whether they chose to eat or drink in the pub.

Edited by Mouldy
Grammatical error

So the question I am asking is what sort of fee should be considered for both sides that is fair?

Stracey Arms sign says £4 by the Temple but insisted we pay £5 for each night spent there.   The first night a young lady arrived to collect the fee and handed over a fiver, then she announces oh sorry I have not got a pen so cannot give you a receipt.     Well my other half old Rothschild himself says oh yes that is ok so we had no receipt.    The guy on the next boat insisted she went and got a pen.        On the bend just before Beccles it is £8 (worth every penny for peace and quiet).    

I am told that Ranworth Island is now £10 for the night.   So you have a wide range of over night mooring costs of which we dont mind paying any of them if it facilitates a good safe mooring.

When we got our Calypso 7 years ago and moored at Herbert Woods for the summer we used to Potter down to the dyke and moor on the farmers side if the first few moorings were free.  The other side were a mess with no posts.  Having seen the nutters go down the dyke full throttle  and the pinball back in reverse we never moored further down. Can't say I would take a permanent mooring there.

From memory it was four pound then.

Is 7 or 8 pound a night really so much to pay for a good pub mooring up north. ( yes I am based down south ) :default_biggrin:

I must say I agree with some posters, no private owner in their  right mind (unless unaware of the conditions) would moor down that side of the dyke on a permanent  basis. I reckon after a couple of years the insurance companies would start and put two and two together regarding the location  of so many claims.

• Like 1

Just to put things into perspective, I can remember paying £3 to moor at Thurne dyke 20-30 years ago, when a pint of beer was £2 or less. How much is a pint now, £4? By that comparison, anything between £6-8 would seem to be a reasonable mooring fee.

Just a thought, whilst people are prepared to pay there are those who are prepared to charge. However, without those charges would those moorings be provided? Where I do get a bit peeved is when the quay heading is provided out of the public purse, e.g. Stracey.

We stopped in this week for the first time. I did like the pub before Rick and Co took over, It had a country feel, you can really really see a load of work has happened here it's a changed pub, I think it's all for the best, The old sign outside looks very cool, clearly still lots to do and I can't wait to see it progresses... It's certainly an asset.

We moored up the mill side and the mooring was all fixed so well done Ricks team.. A couple more mooring eyes but way better than before.  We've moored here a few times and never had any issues with boats getting rammed, thankfully I've stopped seeing my srink too so I think I'm perfectly sane.. Most people go down the end and try to turn around.. Perhaps someone needs to put a sign up (argue between yourselves who that is) to advise people to turn on ropes even carefully at the end.. thus if you moor mid way you don't get damage... all honestly the day we moored up all hireboaters did well the only one that messed up was a privately owned broom (Not us)..   

Before I've always moored up the farm side, mainly because I'd rather give the farmer mooring money than the pub, certainly as they said most people leave without paying, we always go looking for them.. But it does depend on the wind as I prefer mooring where the wind holds us to the bank. 

In terms of pricing, I was confused that there was no signs advising to pay.. Rick.. Can I suggest you sort this asap.. it's always been a fee there, people expect to pay.. let them pay!

Cost wise. As someone mentioned away from the broads, marinas charge from £25 a night up to whatever, I've paid here on the med £14 for a lunch stop (2 hours) and I had to wait like many others till a spot became available.. I think unlike many broads users, I have no problem with paying for moorings, I don't expect to moor my boat for free certainly in a place I want to moor. We mudweight alot and this keeps the prices low.. £10 a night sounds fair to me but I would suggest keeping it as it was for the first season, I can't remember if you used to get money back in the bar too, I know we didn't the farm side but I'm one which agree you have to pay to keep things, so whatever you do I'll pay.

Can I make a small suggestion... The farms setup for taking money worked well (someone wanders around then there's an honesty box), talking with a couple of locals up there, a "Mooring assistant" apparently get a ton of abuse, akin to a parking officer...(Personally I'm annoyed to hear this and these type of people shouldn't be on the broads and boating).. so can I suggest you don't let your team get involved. However the farm deals with the mooring fees? They are pretty used to dealing with people and the problems that come with it. Obviously work out the costs between yourselves.. That's what I'd try to do first :)

Good luck though.. Will be back shortly.