Tack,bang,tack,bang.repeat

Victoryv

No not carpet laying!

Whilst casting an eye over our hull which is currently out of the water, it became very obvious that we had been in contact with a bowsprit, not once , not twice, but maybe a dozen times. What a lovely mess, not the end of the world as it was easily got at due to being out, but work I could have done without. I was told the damage occurred during the 3RR by a reliable source. This got me thinking, is it acceptable under the pressure of a race not top accept any responsibility for causing damage to another boat, I know cruisers are often looked down on by yachties (quite a feat when they are so much lower) but to simply sail off into the blue thinking it doesn't matter is not really on.

I know a lot of the hire yards are happy to let people hire boats for such events, are they happy to pick up the bill for damage during a race, in the same way that they would during a normal holiday hire if an accident occurred ? i doubt it.

• Like 2

Just now, Victoryv said:

No not carpet laying!

Whilst casting an eye over our hull which is currently out of the water, it became very obvious that we had been in contact with a bowsprit, not once , not twice, but maybe a dozen times. What a lovely mess, not the end of the world as it was easily got at due to being out, but work I could have done without. I was told the damage occurred during the 3RR by a reliable source. This got me thinking, is it acceptable under the pressure of a race not top accept any responsibility for causing damage to another boat, I know cruisers are often looked down on by yachties (quite a feat when they are so much lower) but to simply sail off into the blue thinking it doesn't matter is not really on.

I know a lot of the hire yards are happy to let people hire boats for such events, are they happy to pick up the bill for damage during a race, in the same way that they would during a normal holiday hire if an accident occurred ? i doubt it.

No its not acceptable race or no race as far as I was aware if damage is done to another vessel then details had to be exchanged , if your source to the damage bring caused during the 3rr has the boat details then I would report it to BA , makes no difference if its an easy fix you shouldn't have to do it , iv been hit many times mostly at reedham and in many case's I didn't even get an apology and that mostly from private boats too , that's unacceptable you should always own up if you ran out of talent :default_2gunsfiring_v1:

If the damage was alleged to have been done during the three rivers race, then I assume there must have been a witness to the event, anyone witnessing this hit and run damage, should have made some notes at the scene as to which boat(s) caused the damage.

One name, with a witness should be enough to get the damage repaired at the cost of their insurance company and the culprit done for hit and run.  

We all must take more attention to this sort of damage, we can't all assume that someone else is going to log and report it, and the offender has clearly got away with criminal damage.

It is criminal damage, as the offender should have stopped at the scene, or at least reported it to the authorities within 24 hours. 

Just in case I am being a little harsh, have you contacted the BA or the organisers of the 3RR to see if any damage has been reported of damage  to third party boats?

I can assume having a note book and pen whilst sailing, to list all the boats they have damaged is not something they might have to hand at the time. 

Richard

• Like 1

Let's be practical about this. Victory seems to suggest that this was not serious damage, but required a bit of filler and some sanding, when he had the boat out for maintenance anyway. If I understand correctly, he did not notice any damage up until then.

So I imagine it was not worth making a claim on his insurance.

If it had been, and he could identify the boat that did the damage, then his insurers would claim off the other boat, and he would not lose his excess, nor his no-claim bonus. I do feel, therefore, that hit and run, or criminal damage, is not appropriate in a case like this.

This situation, in principle, has nothing to do with the 3RR.

That said, such races have become notorious for "things that go bump in the night" * and I can understand how annoying this must be to a private owner, not least because no-one had the courtesy to "own up".

* Robert Burns, I believe?  :6973434b8b31cd5effed88c7cbb2f1149d4af7_t:

• Like 1

Just now, Vaughan said:

Let's be practical about this. Victory seems to suggest that this was not serious damage, but required a bit of filler and some sanding, when he had the boat out for maintenance anyway...

Not sure I got that from the original post, don't even know if the hull was wood or grp, but if it was my original gel coat, I would not be happy at all having filler on my hull.

I believe the boat had been painted over the winter and was only taken out again for some remedial work.  The boot is wood and yes it can be filled and repainted but this has a considerable cost in both time and money.

i think the moral to this story is to move the boat off the river front before. Next years race.

Doug

• Like 1

The situation in principle has everything to do with the 3RR, if it was a hire boat that hit my boat, was it insured whilst racing, are private yachts insured whilst racing? if I asked my motorcycle insurers if my policy would cover me to race the TT, they would laugh until they wet themselves.

As Doug says move it before next years race .

Which got me thinking about Nippers lovely varnished hull, not so easy to repair.

• Like 1

Generally speaking, the organisers of any sailing race will require entrants to hold third party liability cover which includes cover whilst racing. It is of course possible (but extremely unwise) for someone to make a false declaration. In any event, racing cover isn't wildly expensive.

All boats competing, craft in Any sailing race, in any Club Belonging to the Royal Yachting Association (HSC Does) are required to have third party insurance. It is a requirement written into the 3 Rivers Race rules.

Sailing racing insurance is remarkably cheap, quotes taken from Newton-Crum not the cheapest company but one of the most used.

Third party(£5,000,000  coverage including all racing risks

A topper dinghy £20

A kestrel dinghy £40

yes A broads cruiser will be more, but not extortionately so..

if you can afford the boat you can afford the insurance..

52 minutes ago, TheQ said:

All boats competing, craft in Any sailing race, in any Club Belonging to the Royal Yachting Association (HSC Does) are required to have third party insurance. It is a requirement written into the 3 Rivers Race rules.

Sailing racing insurance is remarkably cheap, quotes taken from Newton-Crum not the cheapest company but one of the most used.

Third party(£5,000,000  coverage including all racing risks

A topper dinghy £20

A kestrel dinghy £40

yes A broads cruiser will be more, but not extortionately so..

if you can afford the boat you can afford the insurance..

Yes I agree Q but you still need honesty to report any damage you do to other people's property :default_icon_wave:

Hit and run seems to be the normal practice on the Broads. I have lost count of the amount of damage done to my boat when it has been moored. Nobody has ever owned up. I have now become almost paranoid in finding a safe place to moor to avoid some clot belting the living daylights out of the boat and outboard motor when I go for shore visits. I bet the culprits would be livid if I belted the living daylights out of their nice shiny cars and then just drove off. 

I will when I next see the current  3RR organiser speak to him and get him to include in his pre race briefing the responsibilities of the competitors to other boats.

But like those who cheat their way round the course it's very difficult to enforce..

• Like 1

I must admit I have 2 foot diameter Fenders on my Motorboat as it is moored on the river in Horning..

They have been useful as I have seen motorboats bouncing their way down the riverbank with out the assistance of Sailing craft...

• Like 2

Just now, TheQ said:

I must admit I have 2 foot diameter Fenders on my Motorboat as it is moored on the river in Horning..

They have been useful as I have seen motorboats bouncing their way down the riverbank with out the assistance of Sailing craft...

I once saw this in Thurne Dyke. When I remonstrated with the helm, he replied 'don't worry mate, they don't say nuffink when ya take em back'. My response would be garunteed a 'modding' at the very least here :default_norty:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

I will when I next see the current  3RR organiser speak to him and get him to include in his pre race briefing the responsibilities of the competitors to other boats.

But like those who cheat their way round the course it's very difficult to enforce..

What are you saying? Some of the 3RR competitors actually cheat? Whatever next!