Busy On Oulton

Hylander

I see one bermudan rigged boat has a few tucks in her main. Some of the gaffers have integral topsails so the main is reefed along the foot thus the 'topsail' is just lower than it normally is. Provided the hire boat held its course & didn't panic then I don't think that there was a problem.

Looking a the picture I suspect they are rounding the buoy  in front of the red sailed boat, then bearing away to the right of the picture. This will leave the hire boat no where to go unless he stops but that will mean the sailing boat behind him will have to go round the hire boat.

Meanwhile you have other sailing boats coming back the other way on starboard tack,  likely to cross to windward also blocking the hire boats forward progress.

The course was pass that buoy to starboard, bare away and head off for the top end of the Broad, round the buoy up there and then beat back down the Broad. Not like racing at Horning, plenty of room. Other than the start line there were no buoys in the North Bay, just before the exit to the Broad, hopefully the hire boat worked his/her way over to the right and via that bay. There was a rescue boat just round the corner, just in case :default_biggrin:!