Dog Rescued

JennyMorgan

Hylander, 

im not entirely certain I understand  the intention or reason for your quote . My comment is clearly aimed at the irrational fearful untrained ignorant human holding the lead of an out of control dog. 

were you holding your dog when you were mauled ? otherwise I fail to recognize the intention of your comment. 

The issue I am raising is the ignorance of humans trying to control an animal with no knowledge, training or even rudimentary understanding of what motivates a dog. 

There are millions of such individuals, undoubtedly the dog that mauled you was owned by one such as I describe.

M

M,      I was not holding a dog at the time but walking past with my little lad.       Something must have spooked the dog but up in the air it went and I was nearest.       I was not going to comment further but can we get one thing straight here,  I am not paranoid if you do not mind.  (nature or some paranoid fearful afraid human ? )  I am 72 and  have a fear of dogs who I do not know.       I love dogs and my daughter and son in law have two of them.  I love them to bits.    They are small dogs I hasten to add.

This happened many many years ago and it is still with me today.

Malanka, Hylander.

Well you two have certainly got your wires well and truly crossed, so as a third party I hope you will forgive me if I try to uncross them.

Hylander,...  The "nature or some paranoid fearful afraid human" phrase was talking about the owner of the dog, not you. 

Malanka,...  "My comment is clearly aimed at the irrational fearful untrained ignorant human holding the lead of an out of control dog."  Perhaps not "clearly" enough?

Note to self... Butt out and stop interfering in other peoples tiffs. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks MM absolutely.

I am actually in Highlander's camp ( and I believe of many) I intensely dislike the attitude that everyone may have a dog if they want one. I used to ride my bicycle past a house near mine when a child 10 or so , I couldn't avoid it there were not other routes and every time I did a huge white German Shepherd would come rushing out and try to bite my pedals and or feet I didn't ask which . Scared the bejeesus out of me the first time. Bit me a few times but In those days ( 70s) it was seen as a hazard of bike riding. The thing was totally bonkers. Our 14 yr old blind fat old Labrador got jumped by a maniac standard poodle too about that time. More close to home a few years ago out walking with our two Airedales ( both off the lead both walking to heel) Oxygen thief asks are your dogs ok , we say yes, then immediately he released his huge Japanese Akita which promptly grabbed Barney by the head ( in its mouth) and pushed him over backwards dislocating both hips. I could hear the teeth grinding on Barneys skull, the whimpering was horrendous . 

I am afraid at that point my memory fades as I don't really remember what I actually did, but years and years of Kung fu training kicked in and apparently in full stance and screaming like a loon I kicked the thing repeatedly until it let Barney go ( I don't remember anything) then advanced on its owner muttering something about him being next. Fiona grabbed me and interrupted my rage red mist or whatever and I stopped and let the guy go. Took Barney to vets where he nearly died of shock only his size saved him. 

Best bit is this loon was continuing to do this for a few weeks more and his last effort was very unfortunate for him and his poor dog . He chose an off duty police dog as a victim of his sick perverted game. The Akita was dead ( shot) and he arrested within hours . 

My point is that control of a dog doesn't depend on the lead it depends on the psychology of the dog and it's relationship and understanding with its alpha person ( whoever that is) . Walk through any park and one can see many examples of snarling dogs on leads ( front paws usually off the ground ) mostly caused by the anxiety of the owner which the poor dog picks up and reacts to.

we have big dogs and the number of people who think it's appropriate to pick up their tiny thing and hold it up where it snarles and barks is quite disappointing. I inevitably reply that he already had his breakfast as he sits there wagging his signaling device at the other dog wondering what he did wrong. 

In Germany  (NRW) dogs had to be tested if they were more than 20 cm in height or 10 kg in weight. The test involved dog in room and a lifelike child doll is thrown in. Dog mustn't pick up or react like it's a toy. There were other tests but you see the point. Responsibility is the key here not the dog. Responsibility to train your dog understand your dog and control your dog without strangling it to breathlessness on a lead.

In summary I stand with you highlander where we perhaps differ is I blame entirely the ignorant fearful and paranoid owner not the dog who is just doing what the owner communicated. Whether that is verbally or subconsciously.

I will endeavor to be more precise in my ramblings in future apologies for any insult taken as none was intended.

Next time you see us stop by and meet Boris the big teddy bear horse Airedale. He likes ear rubs and ice cream. We will have Monty with us in Oct too ( currently 10 weeks old and 9 kg and learning what he can and can't do with his needle teeth and strong jaws)

M

• Like 1

Like Martin, I have too many times to count, come across an idiot with a dog. I firmly believe that owners should be tested. A simple 'multiple guess' should suffice. Questions could include

1. The best place for your dog is
    a The floor
    b Your handbag.
  2. A person who makes their dog wear a bandanna is
    a Sane
    b Complete Twonk
  3. Is your dog human?
    a Yes
    b No

The most common idiots I come across on dog walks are people, for some reason women, with the overly playful dog.
"Oh he just wants to play." really gets on my nerves as some half wit Jack Russel or Springer launches itself at me and my three dogs as we are walking, rolling over and tangling us up until I trip over the damned thing.

The less frequent idiot is the bloke with small genitalia and big dog.
"He's just showing whose dominant" as the dog launches itself at mine usually ends up with the owner and his dog finding out I'm the dominant male. For several months regular dog walkers in my area were inflicted with a woman who walked her two Rottweilers and two Weimaraners through the woods and off their leads. All four dogs were vicious. The week after one of the Rottweilers had attacked another dog causing it to have a leg and it's tail amputated, her dogs grabbed hold of Dylan number one beagle by the head. I wear steel toe caps for walking the dogs for this very reason.

This weekend has seen the arrival of the seasonal idiot. Warm and sunny bank holiday weekends see the arrival of the family walking the family dog, which never leaves the garden for the rest of the year, through the woods. So far this weekend I have encountered families searching for lost

• Beagle puppy (they were unaware that most beagles are difficult until they turn two years old and that as hunting dogs they follow a scent until they drop exhausted)
  • Japanese Akita (ran away after attacking a corgi)
  • Corgi (ran for the hills after being attacked by an Akita)
  • Alsatian, six months old, first time they have taken it out, oh and it was in season (immediately ran off as soon as they took it off the lead).

Just so that folks are aware...

Road Traffic Act 1988
It is an offence to have a dog off the lead on or with access to a designated road.

Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000 
All dogs must be on leads of no longer than 2 metres in length between March and July (ground nesting birds) and at all times around livestock.

Interestingly Northern Ireland are the only home nation to define what 'in control' of your dog means. 

"A dog is considered ‘under control’ if it is on a lead held by someone able to control the dog. For example, a large dog would not be under control if its lead was held by a child who would be unable to restrain the dog if it strained against the lead."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

This weekend a boat opposite us being used by a family we've never seen before and are not in a hurry to see again ! All arrive early morning ,mum dad, grandad,  little girls one Alsatian with a high pitched yelp rather than a resonant bark. Kids shouting and screaming,Fair enough that's what excited kids do. Enter 2 swans, dog hysterical, this is clearly a highly strung dog it never stops yelping. The swans are making it very agitated. So what do they do? They feed the swans . Dog not happy about this to say the least! Nice peaceful sunny afternoon has now degenerated into mayhem. Having been fed the swans are going nowhere soon the dog becomes ever more agitated and noisy. Fortunately they decide to take the boat out. 2 hours later - oh joy! They're back! So are the swans and the whole racket Starts again. This performance was repeated during the whole weekend until fortunately they departed late afternoon Monday .Dogs have driven us nuts here this season. We've never known anything like it. Of course it's not the dogs'fault , it's inconsiderate owners. If they had put the dog on the boat  instead of on the pontoon where it was within a couple of feet of the swans it would have not got so stressed . Nor would it have been scolded and wacked for being so loud.

Carole

• 2 weeks later...

Yes it's not a good idea although with a truly bonkers dog ( like the Akita that attacked our Barney) your dog submitting is not enough they just keep going. 

Picking it up usually results in what happened, scratches on her leg hhhmm. I wonder why that happened?? ( not) 

sad situation in a lovely spot. 

M