Dog Rescued

JennyMorgan

We were moored at the yacht club at Oulton Broad today when what I assumed was a black labrador swam past in hot pursuit of three swans. No probs, I thought, it's what labs do but for swan's sake keep the blessed pooch on a lead. I started to get concerned when the dog was sixty or seventy yards out into the Broad and clearly in no mood to turn round. Enter the distraught owner, calling out to her diminishing pet who took not a blind bit of notice of her entreaties. Don't worry, says me, 'labs can swim'. 'He's not a lab, he's a greyhound and he's never swum before'. Oh dear, thinks me, as my daughter ambled off to ask for help from the club rescue crew who, regretfully, were involved in other tasks. Enter a true hero who set off in hot pursuit aboard his single handed, extreme racing dinghy. By now the swans were at least one hundred and ten yards from the nearest bank and Fido at least one hundred but by now beginning to lag behind. A few yards later the dinghy rounds up to the dog  and the helmsman capsizes so he can pull the by now exhausted greyhound into the cockpit before righting his boat and sailing for the shore, the dog laying, absolutely played out, on the floor.  Our hero comes alongside the floating jetty where we were moored. The dog absolutely refused to cooperate when it came to being lifted ashore from the sailing boat so, once again, the dinghy was capsized and the dog was dragged to the side of the jetty and hauled ashore. Still alive but totally traumatised, his grateful owner picked him up for the obviously much needed cuddle. Our hero set off again, by now a little late for the start of his race. Had the casualty been a human then I have no doubt that he'd be called a hero. Moral of the story, don't let your four legged friend chase wildlife. 

• Like 9

1 minute ago, smellyloo said:

Are there signs stating that dogs should be kept on the lead? Some parks do others don't.

I don't think there are, mine would have been off the lead there but he leaves the wildlife alone when shouted at doesn't like water and ignores most people.

It's unlike a greyhound to swim but they do naturally chase anything that moves, even hares on motorbikes.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Re Oulton Broad's Everitt Park, I'm not sure, will have to check although I thought that leads were the order of the day. Either way isn't there a requirement to keep a dog under control in public places?

All dogs should be under control in a public place be it on a lead or not if the owner can't be sure there dog will behave then it should be on a lead , however there are plenty of places where a lead is required said park might well be one of them , my husky/shepherd loves swimming at whitlingham but he only gets to do that when its extremely quiet and believe it or not the ducks chase him rather that the other way around , through if rabbits went swimming then it might be different :55c8f94984577_default_AnimatedGifDogs(127):

25 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Re Oulton Broad's Everitt Park, I'm not sure, will have to check although I thought that leads were the order of the day. Either way isn't there a requirement to keep a dog under control in public places?

Yep, Dogs should be kept under control in public, on or off the lead, but I just wondered if leads were a requirement in st everitt's park.

As most parks are empty for most of the year (with the exception of dog walkers and a few others) perhaps a "dogs on lead" control during the summer holidays (as on some beaches) would be appropriate.

• Like 2

Walked through the park today, no sign of dogs on leads notices. Incidentally I met 'Rocky' the greyhound today. He's showing no signs of distress after his traumatic experience. The owner is well aware that Rocky would most probably have drowned had it not been for a knight in shining armour sailing past. For the time being Rocky is not allowed off his lead!

• Like 1

I have seen so many incidents of dogs not under control and guess what folks they were all on a lead. Being on a lead does not indicate control either in law or in fact. 

Anyone who has seen Boris knows he responds to hand signals commands and whistles when off his lead. He does not chase anything I don't give him permission to chase and dogs on leads with their anxious owners communicating fear and aggression are the problem not properly brought up socialized and trained dogs. The idea that on a lead is under control has been disproven many times in court already. The folks who need the training are the potential owners. Where we live all dogs are registered with the town hall paid for 110CHF each per year and MUST be trained .

The U.K. Has huge lessons to learn about responsible dog ownership.

Lead or nonlead the issue is the owner and training . 

M

• Like 3

I personally am terrified of any dog not on a lead and even give those on a lead a wide berth.  I was mauled by a Labrador outside a shop ,  for some reason it took a dislike to me.   I was just passing.   I love dogs but the fear will always be there.

4 hours ago, Hylander said:

I was mauled by a Labrador outside a shop ,  for some reason it took a dislike to me.

May I ask, was this Labrador attached by its lead, outside the shop, while the owner was inside?

Knowing Labradors, this might have made a big difference, if it was approached by a stranger.

If you're terrified the dog on lead or not will know it. 

Off the lead a correctly socialized dog will leave you alone. One on a lead will be influenced by the emotional state of the person holding the lead. Which would you prefer .

nature or some paranoid fearful afraid human ? 

A lot depends on the owner knowing the dog and the breed. We have a young collie and we know that she will chase any cars she hears, so there's no way that we will let her off the lead anywhere near traffic. We had a complete panic a few weeks back where she got out whilst we were having a delivery of a new mattress. Lucky we're not on a main road and a couple of cars going past stopped, and she responded to our recall. Whew!

Helen

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Vaughan said:

May I ask, was this Labrador attached by its lead, outside the shop, while the owner was inside?

Knowing Labradors, this might have made a big difference, if it was approached by a stranger.

I did not approach the dog ,  I was passing at the time when my son was about 5 thank goodness he was on the outside of me.   A long time ago now but it never goes away.

A lab once jumped up at me as I rode along on my bike. I was bitten on the hand, I still have a three inch scar on my right hand thumb. Was I mauled or just bitten? http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/maul

Like Hylander I have been wary of dogs ever since not being mauled although, in general, I do like dogs .

My dog (on lead) was recently attacked by a loose dog in the park. The owners, who were hiding behind a bush, communicated that their dog doesn't like dogs on leads and will attack them. :55c8f94984577_default_AnimatedGifDogs(127):

I politely pointed out that maybe their dog needed to be excercised in public on a lead.

The point is if your dog is known to be likely to bother people, other dogs or livestock when on walkies then they should be kept on a lead.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, smellyloo said:

My dog (on lead) was recently attacked by a loose dog in the park. The owners, who were hiding behind a bush, communicated that their dog doesn't like dogs on leads and will attack them. :55c8f94984577_default_AnimatedGifDogs(127):

I politely pointed out that maybe their dog needed to be excercised in public on a lead.

The point is if your dog is known to be likely to bother people, other dogs or livestock when on walkies then they should be kept on a lead.

Exactly.

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

Please don't get me wrong Hylander, I'm not trying to "have a go" but was the term "mauled" just a touch OTT?

Unfortunately it wasn't.    Its darn teeth came down my arm tore off my gold bracelet and left me in a state I can tell you.   I had to go to the doctors ( I am talking 45 years ago when the family doctor knew you,   you didn't call an ambulance and go to the hospital like today) and have a tetanus injection  which is normal in those circumstances and the teeth marks that bled soon healed up. To this day I dont know what spooked the dog but I was nearest.       Yes it  was on a lead tied to the front of Tescos.    Obviously protecting Tescos.:423_tennis::12_slight_smile:   I can still see those teeth.

I was once bitten by a cat, deep too, (not one of mine I hasten to add) I ended up with a tetanus shot, and two different antibiotics on maximum strength for a fortnight, I admit it was my fault, for grabbing it (stopping it attacking my cat), but that has never stopped me saying hello to any cat I see. not in the same league as dog attacks, but cat bites are notoriously worse, as they tend to get infected. it took months to heal properly