Another Broads Rescue Unit

Guest ExMemberKingFisher

2 hours ago, KingfishersTime said:

I think the biggest concern is if their fund raising efforts diverts money away from the "proper" rescue services.

Any donation this outfit receive, will be a loss to a real genuine organisation, no if's or buts it will be a loss to one or more

Charlie.

Guest ExMemberKingFisher

If I break down on the Broads, I'm gonna try and fix it myself, or call Everitt Marine Services, Boulters or RCR River and Canal Rescue. If it's an emergency, I'm calling 999 and asking for the Coastguard and letting them decide who they need to send. I'm sort of hoping it's one of the established services, which really makes me wonder where the new service fits in? I guess if the mainstream services were already committed to a search elsewhere then perhaps they would turn to BRW? Why re-invent the wheel though? Why not just join one of the other established services as a volunteer?

There used to be an inshore lifeboat down at Oulton Broad which we supported. There is possibly a gap in resources on the more Southerly parts of the Southern Broads, Oulton to Beccles? but the North side seems well covered already.

39 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

From the new kids on the block themselves:

BRW have contacted me (Sue Hines) to say that those involved currently have such qualifications as qualified RYA helms, search technicians, police search techs, swift water rescue and first flood response, emergency response drivers and some are trainers themselves. Broads Beat, BA and Norfolk Fire Rescue are looking at doing some joint training with BRW and its boat so they can use it in an emergency.

A great pity that their initial press release was such a disaster!

Hmmm, looking through my certificates...I've got qualifications in first response, canoe instructor white water, advanced mountain rescue training, advanced survival training, hostile environment awareness trained, crisis management, disaster relief training, CSE Grade 5 in woodwork and I'm a member of the Marine Boy Ocean Patrol and the Tufty Club...eminently qualified as I am, I'm retired, past fifty, most of the qualifications are out of date and I won't be joining anytime soon!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Timbo said:

Hmmm, looking through my certificates...I've got qualifications in first response, canoe instructor white water, advanced mountain rescue training, advanced survival training, hostile environment awareness trained, crisis management, disaster relief training, CSE Grade 5 in woodwork and I'm a member of the Marine Boy Ocean Patrol and the Tufty Club...eminently qualified as I am, I'm retired, past fifty, most of the qualifications are out of date and I won't be joining anytime soon!

Timbo,  you can crew with me in Thunderbird 2

I have nav lights and cup holders for the beers

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Timbo said:

What no cycling proficiency or blue peter badge  :default_biggrin: 

I have been a Governor of the RNLI for many years, I also support our four Norfolk highly trained and professional independent water rescue bodies.

Mundesley, Palling, Hemsby and Caister.

I really think that these are the independent organisations that need our support,

As a Governor I registered my opposition to the removal of cover at Oulton in 2011 and still feel that this was a regrettable action

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, Ricardo said:

What no cycling proficiency or blue peter badge  :default_biggrin: 

Ah at least I qualify there - both a cycle proficiency badge (one of the metal ones you put on your handlebars that when you have an accident gives you a nice cut on your forehead, and no less than 2 blue peter badges (yes I have appeared on the show twice - only the white plastic ones though).

Just out of curiosity, how did the other independent organisations start?  to my thoughts, probably in much the same way as this organisation has? by some hard effort on the parts of the volunteers, and just being available.

They may well (in time) prove themselves to be competent and a complement to the existing services, and in the event of a widespread emergency (flooding etc) become an important asset, so I dont think we should necessarily decry their efforts at this early stage. (all the same to donate to them rather than to the current emergency response teams would seem a bit premature).

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, grendel said:

Just out of curiosity, how did the other independent organisations start?  to my thoughts, probably in much the same way as this organisation has? by some hard effort on the parts of the volunteers, and just being available.

Can't speak for others but Hemsby was founded over 40 years ago due to a massive increase in deaths at sea in the local area. 

Their Broads rescue lifeboat was started on request of HM Coastguard.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think it's all about avoiding duplication, if their focus was in an area such as Oulton Broad, and they train and affiliate to RNLI/HM Coastguard properly, then maybe that is their niche? 

One point for the uninformed(me) are ther providing their services free?

Mundesley was formed after the drowning and near drowning of a man and wife just half a mile from the beach in1971. They were in a sailing dinghy.

At Sea Palling lifeboats have been stationed since way before the RNLI was founded run by private companies. The RNLI were there afterwards until 1931 ( I think) the growth in tourism to the beautiful beaches prompted the need for a boat in 1972.

Caister has a similar history to Palling, Private beach company then the RNLI until 1969. Caiter operate both an inshore and offshore boat.

In recent years both Mundesley and Sea Palling have had a RNLI presence in the form of Lifeguards.

• Thanks 1