Towing

ExSurveyor

I lost my towing cherry today :default_biggrin:

Fortunately I had read the recent posts on the correct way to tow and promptly ignored it all.

Happily pootling along in the little Broom and we spotted a woodie rag and stick on a mud weight in the middle of the Yare.

Now I know these folk do strange things but I called over.  Appears the outboard was broken,  the wind had disappeared and the tide was starting to run fast.

Turns out he wanted to get to Rockland but had been stuck for over an hour as only hire craft had asked if he needed help and couldn't tow him. 

Having just come out of Rockland I knew it was only half a mile upstream.

We grabbed a bow line and managed to get him up to the Broad and moored without any problem.

Makes a change to get a smile and happy wave from a rag and stick pilot :default_biggrin:

• Like 13

1 hour ago, psychicsurveyor said:

I lost my towing cherry today :default_biggrin:

Fortunately I had read the recent posts on the correct way to tow and promptly ignored it all.

Happily pootling along in the little Broom and we spotted a woodie rag and stick on a mud weight in the middle of the Yare.

Now I know these folk do strange things but I called over.  Appears the outboard was broken,  the wind had disappeared and the tide was starting to run fast.

Turns out he wanted to get to Rockland but had been stuck for over an hour as only hire craft had asked if he needed help and couldn't tow him. 

Having just come out of Rockland I knew it was only half a mile upstream.

We grabbed a bow line and managed to get him up to the Broad and moored without any problem.

Makes a change to get a smile and happy wave from a rag and stick pilot :default_biggrin:

Well done that man the spirit of broad land and boating in general  is alive and well :default_beerchug:

12 hours ago, psychicsurveyor said:

I think we need a smug g#t emoji for stinkies who help wind warriors :default_biggrin:

Can I have a set of 4 please !

Two sets of crew in the river, with boat rescue too. 

A half decker in the reeds on the way to Hickling.

A yacht on it's way back to his home mooring at Barton Turf.

They all have one thing in common...

They were all reg and stick.

• Haha 1

One Hunters looped round a tree.

One Hunters dinghy sunk to the gunwales with small boy aboard.

One Whelptons on the mud in S.Walsham

The fact is, sailing is just more exciting is all. :594c04f0e761f_default_AnimatedGifVehiclessaily:

Oh yes and one lady fallen off the back of a stinky at Ranworth.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 22/09/2017 at 21:07, psychicsurveyor said:

I think we need a smug g#t emoji for stinkies who help wind warriors :default_biggrin:

Can I have one please? We helped a r & s into Rockland Dyke a couple of weeks ago. They had run out of diesel and hadn't got any sails on board - does that count? :default_sailing: (Must be something to do with the Rockland area!)

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, vanessan said:

Can I have one please? We helped a r & s into Rockland Dyke a couple of weeks ago. They had run out of diesel and hadn't got any sails on board - does that count? :default_sailing: (Must be something to do with the Rockland area!)

Laking the rags on board, they were in every respect a 'Stinky' - so NO :default_norty:

• Haha 1

How long do you want the list?

I've rescued far more non competitors over the years than competitors, mostly motor boats but including rowing boats , canoes, sailing hire and private, day boats through to those that now are too long to be newly registered today. About the only things I haven't rescued are broads tours and wherries. Probably because they are professional crews.

I've even towed back windsufers who couldn't sail against the wind, while I was single handed sailing a Wayfarer!!! ( That was in the Falklands)

(I did witness one of Broads tours aground in Wroxham broad, but I was without boat that day.)

• Like 2