Another Dull Rainy Day In Norfolk Today

CambridgeCabby

Well it was a horibly dull & damp day here to the North-West of Hamburg.

After standing around at the launch point for several hours we decided that it wasn't going to get better (visinility was getting worse) so we packed. in.  Apart from getting the planes wet it was a futile exercise (getting planes wet isn't a good idea anyway).

Trouble is - this is scheduled to be our last weekend of the season (& a crap second half of the season it has been).

• Sad 1

Sadly no pics, but what a great weekend! We arrived on Thursday afternoon after a leisurely drive and a lovely lunch at the Walnut Tree at Thwaite on the A140. We spent Friday at Salhouse, where we walked up to the Fur and Feather for a pint of Norfolk Nog and an early browse for Christmas presents in the brewery shop. We then spent an hour or so to good effect, maggot drowning and Mrs O caught herself a very nice perch.

On Saturday, we pootled down to Ranworth, where we mudweighted, had lunch, read the papers and watched the antics on the staithe, which seemed every bit as busy as it had been in the summer school holidays. It was quite gusty and clouded over in the afternoon so we headed back to the shelter of our moorings and a quick trip to La Tharmes to pick up some essentials. After that, I tackled a job I have been putting off for  a while, which involved chopping out some rotten wood from the corner of our upper rubbing strake,  several coats of Cuprinol to discourage further rot, splicing in a new piece of sapele and re-coating the whole Port side of the strake. It took a while but the end result was well worth the effort.

Sunday morning saw  me progress work on the rubbing strake, followed by a stroll down to the Horning Ferry for lunch. We saw a couple of familiar faces there in the form of Simon and Kate from Cerise Lady so went over for a chat. After that it was back to the boat for an intended trip to How Hill. We got as far as Ranworth Dam and found the river infested with sailies who were racing downriver en masse.  Rather than spend the next hour playing "dodge the sailie", we decided to change our plan and head for Ranworth, where there were several spaces on the Staithe- no doubt recently vacated by sailing boats. We moored up under a cloudless sky and walked up to the conservation centre, where I was fortunate enough to spot a kingfisher speeding across Ranworth Broad just a few feet above the water.

This morning we took the car up to Potter and set off for a walk on the Weaver's Way around the Southern margins of Hickling Broad. We came across a couple of sweet chestnut trees which seem to have done well this year, with a good crop of larger than usual edible nuts, so I quickly filled all my pockets. Then it was back to the boat for lunch and a little more essential boat-work. The afternoon became progressively hazier and the sun turned red, which we later learned was caused by Saharan dust and smoke from Portuguese forest fires which had been brought up to the UK by hurricane Ophelia. Then sadly it was time to pack the car, put Windmill Lady to bed and head homeward. We left her snugly tucked up in her new cover, ready for our next visit in a few weeks time.

The weather over the weekend was extraordinary for mid-October with days spent in T shirts and shorts and nights sleeping under a single blanket, rather than the usual duvet. I can't help feeling sorry, though, for those folks on the West side of the British Isles who were clobbered today by the tropical storm.

Cheers

• Like 4