Electronic Speed Signs

johnb

In another place, JP has stated that should a 3% increase in tolls be approved for next year, BA would consider using some of this money to install electronic speed signs. This  for me is not about the increase in tolls, but do we want these signs on the Broads? I am firmly of the view that "something should be done about excessive speeding" however the nimby in me says no to these.  We already have the parking machines which some of us feel ill at ease with. What do you think?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Interesting question.  A sign was temporarily installed at Wroxham for some months this year, and apparently was effective in slowing down dayboats in particular.  It was the kind that flashes when approached too fast.  As I understand things it was a portable device, that could be relocated elsewhere.  Potter Heigham residents, through their Parish Council, have asked for such a device (or a fixed speed camera) on the river in the past.  If the BA had two or three of these, that could be temporarily installed in identified problem areas at peak times, and moved around the system from time to time,  might that be a good thing if it had the desired effect?  Fairly open minded on the issue myself.  Don’t think I’d like to see one out in the more wilderness areas of the Broads, but Wroxham, Horning, Potter, Irstead ... where’s the harm?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Having had 2 holidays this year, after a gap of thirty years, I seriously don't believe there is a speeding problem on the Broads!  Dayboats in Wroxham, yes, but why not limit the speed of their engines? They are only out for a day trip.

The problem with wash is bank erosion, and I don't see that any more.

• Like 1

The speeding problem seems to be mostly day boat hirers, “I’ve paid my money, I’ll go as fast and as far as I can in the given time” restrict the engines is one option,  hung from Wroxham Bridge drawn on NBD key and quartered with each quarter distributed to all four corners of the broads to deter future day boaters would be my choice, some may say a little extreme but you’ll have to admit, it would work 

My advice to those who think day boats are speeding is hire one and see. Most now have GPS speedos, and are limited to not exceed 5MPH. This is the speed limit outside the built up area of Wroxham, and indeed the same goes of the Thurne leading away from Potter Heigham. But you see the wash a day boat makes with its short waterline and hull design at 5 MPH - looks a lot worse than the speed.

I say the Broads Authority should move to making people check their wash especially when passing moor boats than just this obsession with speed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Problem with governing down the power of the dayboats is getting it right.  After lots of complaints from Potter residents about speed and wash past their bungalows this summer, Herbert Woods ordered their staff to govern down their boats so they would make a maximum of 4mph against, and 5mph with, the tide through Potter.  However, they ended up having to rescue (or in a couple of instances the BA launch had to rescue) boats that had gone down to Acle, turned into a strong ebb tide down there, and couldn’t get back.

2 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

My advice to those who think day boats are speeding is hire one and see. Most now have GPS speedos, and are limited to not exceed 5MPH. This is the speed limit outside the built up area of Wroxham, and indeed the same goes of the Thurne leading away from Potter Heigham. But you see the wash a day boat makes with its short waterline and hull design at 5 MPH - looks a lot worse than the speed.

I say the Broads Authority should move to making people check their wash especially when passing moor boats than just this obsession with speed.

Actually BA are far mor likely to prosecute with regards to wash than speed wash can be recorded via a camera and while speed can be recorded via a speed / radar gun they have to be 2 mph over the limit to even get the ranger's attention ie blue book  or so a ranger told me no too long ago wash is defined in the Broads act its much easier to spot and easier to demonstrate for the  purpose of a court , no way is it just day boats and hire craft that cause the problem 3 days ago this picture was taken , that's a boat being sailed to my knowledge by someone who's already been to court via BA for speeding , and on top of that past moored vessels on a BA mooring .

That ng is electronic signs will he ignored just as much as the metal ones do now , although on the yare especially BA could do themselves some good by making sure they are not obscured which a lot of them are .

_20171102_132402.JPG