London Boat Show

Chelsea14Ian

8 minutes ago, Londonlad1985 said:

How are you getting on? 

I got stuck in a self assemble aquarium aboard a Prestige 520. Lucky@LondonRascal was on hand to capture the moment and release me. I assume it's for keeping captured mermaids. It's too small to use as a shower!

IMG-20180113-WA0006.jpg

Jazz Hands???

Not sure we liked the show this year.A few things we were after.At past shows,Not available this year.Went over  to see Richardson's boats.Marina had a rest and by chance was meet be Alan and Dave.Had a look at the Brooms 35 and the Haines boats.Did like the river boat section. Interesting most years they have a sign for next year's dates.This year not,Just Southampton. 

Ian 

20180113_142100.jpg

• Like 4

Personally I think it was better than I thought it would be, I had given up on as I think many had too.. It was so nice to see the inland section making a come back (Although I'm not sure why our richardsons are shown in a lock ;) ).  I think the garden furniture and wine merchants aren't quite at the right show though. 

The right exhibitors aren't there though and the one weekend now isn't enough really.  There are some prolific exhibitors missing too.

Sadly it seems the main problem is that the exhibitor rates are the same price as the 10 day show which is clearly putting some off.  I think if British marine can sort of the price and push it to two saturdays at least then it may start growing again. 

@Clive Richardson, first time I've been on Commodore, certainly better than some big expensive I've been on with work.  Top materials used and really well done.. Nice to see... Maybe you should consider buying Brooms out ;)

• Like 2

I went 2 years ago and enjoyed myself, especially on the Richardsons stand (very similar boats then to this year). I was tempted to go again this time when I saw the Inland Waterways section but there wasn't enough there to tempt me (it's a long trip from where I live). I'm surprised there's not more Broads-based exhibitors. 

There were others we were looking for a table top.They were there in previous years. There were tables there but complete ones,Not what  we were looking for.Some stands that we had seen over a number of years not there.I can understand  the need to reduce the days,but Alan has a point,it may be better for example to run from Sunday to Sunday.

36 minutes ago, JawsOrca said:

Nauticalia, Sheerline, Nanni, webasto, Guinness stand etc

No Guiness stand, arghhhh, a Boat Show tradition & the only time I ever touch the stuff. The organisers should be offering Guiness a free stand. They must have been there since day one!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

There were others we were looking for a table top.They were there in previous years. There were tables there but complete ones,Not what  we were looking for.Some stands that we had seen over a number of years not there.I can understand  the need to reduce the days,but Alan has a point,it may be better for example to run from Sunday to Sunday.

You only had to ask, no need to go to the Boat Show, just click on:

https://www.marineteak.co.uk/default?gclid=Cj0KCQiA-ebSBRC8ARIsAGuxJIo1Fz-aHKi3kHWXHAtru_sDUBlSnvwgM7q0F6VbGhViHqyaG2cYD20aArA_EALw_wcB

and tell them you found out about them at NBN. Actually the boss's name is Luke Smith, he might be a member, albeit lapsed.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Thanks  Peter.In fact they did our flooring on both our boats.We were hoping for a discount at the show.

He did your flooring? 

If you remind them when talking to them that you are a repeat customer I'm sure they will offer a discount anyway.  We certainly do.. P.s you can get us a couple of them tables too!

Having mulled over my first visit, the glamour and glitz of these new boats is all very well but I love the boat we have.  There is quite a bit  of work to be done but right now I wouldnt have it any other way. 

• Like 3

The thing  about the boat show,is it's a bit like being in a sweet shop.You can pick up ideas and tips.If you are lucky get a few deals.Enjoy your boat we to are happy with our boat.After all that what it's all about.

Keep boating

Ps idea for a new show strictly boating!

Ian :default_stinky:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In a nutshell, in my humble opinion of course, the London Boat Show has long lost its way. No longer the national winter gathering for the boating community,  its congregation has changed. Now the temple of excess, of Lottery winners and the financially obese. It ain't what it used to be!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

In a nutshell, in my humble opinion of course, the London Boat Show has long lost its way. No longer the national winter gathering for the boating community,  its congregation has changed. Now the temple of excess, of Lottery winners and the financially obese. It ain't what it used to be!

I'm sure I read somewhere that the attendance of recent years is around 10% of what it used to be in the days of Earls Court.

1 hour ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Keep boating

Ps idea for a new show strictly boating!

Being so new to all this, we would certainly come under the category of being on a journey over the people who have obviously had previous experience! 

Im interested to know Jovril's thoughts as i think he is the person who is looking for his first boat and think he was attending? 

Its a shame there wasnt an NBN corner so we could have all met up!