Renovation Project

Midnorfolkboats

As a new member I've been trying to think of an excuse to post something relevant, rather than just reading other members' stories.  So, I thought I'd share some pictures of a boat I renovated last year, which might give fellow forum members some inspiration if they're looking to undertake a similar project.

This boat had been sitting on dry land at Morston Quay, exposed to the elements for several years, it was in a rather sorry state, and full of water.  I spent around an hour pumping out the water, making some temporary repairs to the trailer (which hadn't been moved for a very long time) and towed it back to my workshop.

The interior was beyond saving, so everything was removed and stripped bare. The windows leaked, so they were removed, the roof was like Swiss Cheese and the engine and electrics were in a bad way. However after much effort and many sheets of marine ply, the interior was rebuilt.  I serviced the engine and re-wired the boat, and then set about making a new roof section for the cockpit.

Numerous tubs of marine filler, several days of sanding and three coats of paint later it was time to fit a new bathing platform and go fishing!

Then, rather foolishly I sold it.......

So, not wanting to miss out on this year's adventures on the broads I've bought another one in even worse condition.  I'm hoping to have it ready by the end of May - watch this space.  So if anyone 's after some friendly advice or words of encouragement regarding their own project, please let me know.  Expect it to cost twice as much and take three times as long!  Tea and advice is free.....

IMG_0030.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

DSCN1833.jpg

DSCN1838.jpg

DSCN1846.jpg

DSCN1876.jpg

DSCN1815.jpg

DSCN1872.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-01-22 at 13.17.41.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-22 at 13.18.25.png

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

22 minutes ago, deebee29 said:

What a transformation, great job.

I’m looking forward to following your progress on the new boat 

Thanks  This one's a bit bigger.  A Seamaster 25, and it's been underwater for a few years, so March might be a bit optimistic!  I'll share some pictures when it's recognisable as a boat......  It doesn't smell too good inside at the moment either!

• Like 1