Salty Bottoms Whitson

Easter seems to have been a resounding success for the first Salty Bottom meet that actually involved boats and it is now not long till Whitson.

Southwold is at the moment the destination that has been floated but owing to limited mooring availabilty it is intended to do this one after the bank holiday so not arriving there until at least Tuesday afternoon.

Very loosely it is intended to take a run down spend a couple of days enjoying the charms of Southwold and then run back.

We love Southwold for its quintesential english seasideness. (should have posted this from pc with spell check) It is not everyones cup of tea but offers lovely walks. A nice beach, plenty of old fashioned family fun and a really nice atmosphear. It is also somewhere that needs the weather to work.

The run down is not challenging but it is enjoyable and Southwold harbour holds the same degree of fear as Breydon water does to many broads boaters and to be honest holds about the same degree of difficulty to the HP charged mosters that make up the salty bottoms as Breydon does to a hire boat.

The Baily Bridge replaces Krackens and the vicious tide replaces the monster waves but if timed correctly and armed with a bit of knowledge it is a fairly simple operation.

It would be a good idea to get an idea of how many are thinking of going along so the harbour master can be warned of a possible onslaught.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luke, Whitson falls on Monday 31st May so it is expected that we would leave for Southwold on 1st June weather permitting.

Wayne, it is not a difficult trip and it would be in company so as long as you have your servicing done and have done your full throttle Breydon runs, preferably with a bit of chop to stir up the tanks, you should be fine. I do understand your hesitance though and one bad experience for Tracey could end your sea boating for good, see how you feel closer to the time.

Hi Luke,

From my point of view there is no reason why departure couldn't be delayed until the 2nd if you fancy going the day after you land.

Going on Tuesday gives the widest window of opportunity for weather there and back, if the weather is set fair and everyone else is happy we could just go Wednesday.

Hi Ian

Would like to go but not sure if i will get "training "done in time - Tracy would like to overcome her nervousness :o and insists we go out with someone who knows what they are doing first time - which is fair enough.

rgds

Wayne

Not me then :cry::cry

No,No,No - I mean't first time for with me in control and navigating on our boat

The ride out in Crackerjack was most excellent Jonathan :grin:

Sorry mate couldn't resist. Whet you do go out perhaps we could stand by.

Jonathan :Stinky

Yup we would love to

...subject only to conditions on the sea on the day, and as I have heard so much about the issues entering Southwold, the timing of our entrance.

I also am having probs with my sat nag, and whilst I dont suppose this would completely rule out a trip..I would prefer it was working!!!

The unit has worked only intermittently since we have had it. Basically it doesnt acquire any sattelite data, almost like the antennae isnt plugged in.

Any bright ideas on what to do to identify the fault anyone???

lb :pirate :pirate :pirate

Great news Adam, will be like another Sealine meet accompanied by the usual Birchwood life boat.

The timing is more for the flow through the harbour rather than the entrance, the water does move through there but it is nothing to worry about with your engines and even less with your sissy stick.

Not sure where the sand bank is at the moment as apparently it moved around a lot over the winter but it will more than likely only affect you at low tide, those things with flappy bits and big bits underneath are most affected, the entrance waypoint the harbour master will give and cts from the waypoint will take you through it anyway.

Suitable sea is a pre requisite, as always that is the skippers shout.

Any bright ideas on what to do to identify the fault anyone???

Not really except that it does seem to suggest antenna problems.

I would suggest that you carry a hand-held GPS as a "spare".

That would at least allow you to find the way-point for the "current" entrance point...

Martin

hi Adam,

i have a traker 500 chart plotter on the little ship, if yours is a navman...which i believe it is you are welcome to plug it into my ariel/boat ,as mine,s on a braket ,and try that...that,s assuming yours has an external ariel?,if it hasn,t and has a internal ariel, are you sure it has a clear view of the sky when you turn it on? and when your underway?,don,t ezactly know what you have?

regards Trev

does this mean you are absconding then mate? or are you thinking of popping the tent on the rib for a couple of days?

As you know mate we often meet up with friends in Southwold so may go down a few day earlier to spend time with them before the salty bottoms arrive. Just depends who's there at Whitsun nothing confirmed yet.

As you know mate we often meet up with friends in Southwold so may go down a few day earlier to spend time with them before the salty bottoms arrive. Just depends who's there at Whitsun nothing confirmed yet.

No problem we can all follow Adam, what is your response time from Southwold Harbour? :naughty::naughty:

No problem we can all follow Adam, what is your response time from Southwold Harbour? :naughty: :naughty:

hmmm...I will just let the RNLI know that I am out and about that day Ian! two guns

lb :pirate :pirate :pirate