Salty Bottoms Whitson

Not sure entirely what our plans are yet as we may join you, then trundle off to Ipswich for the end of the week, dump off the junior crew and wait out for some fine weather for a blast back up...

Just to add food for thought - Ipswich Haven Marina - £2.12inc VAT per metre which includes electricity and water and a group of 3 or more ensures a 20% discount. On the marina is the last anchor, but on the wet dock itself are some great new bar developments and only a short walk to the town centre... cheersbar

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just in case this lovely weather is still with us at the weekend I thought I better add a topless shot so you can recognise us,

and just in case it's blowing more than a 3 I've chosen the correct angle.

post-442-136713701223_thumb.jpg

Jonathan :Stinky

Just in case this lovely weather is still with us at the weekend I thought I better add a topless shot so you can recognise us,

I do like a good topless photo Jonathon. :naughty:

cheersbar

[attachment=0]rear.jpg[/attachment]

Hi guys

Whilst trying to find slack water times for Southwold, where do I find them please??? I came across someone's blog which charts there time through the broads, out through Lowestoft to Southwold and down the suffolk coast. Enjoyable reading.

http://www.starry-night.org.uk/2004period5.html

Just read it with a wry grin....although I got stuck at Reedham for two days last year... I'll blame the sun being too strong, the wind being too cold and completely not mention the roaring hangover that I was suffering thanks to Rod, John and a few others... and a night of John Colleridge and copious volumes of Humpty........ :norty:

Hi guys

Whilst trying to find slack water times for Southwold, where do I find them please??? I came across someone's blog which charts there time through the broads, out through Lowestoft to Southwold and down the suffolk coast. Enjoyable reading.

http://www.starry-night.org.uk/2004period5.html

Try this site for HW times http://easytide.ukho.gov.uk/EASYTIDE/Ea ... onLength=7

for slack water on the moorings add 1 Hour for bst + 1/2 hour for the moorings.

..Just read the rest of his online log...excellent reading and actually some really helpfull stuff :grin:

We are going to have a good look at the weather toward the end of the week before we make final plans, but will def be on the boat from Friday with no ties to being back anytime before the end of the following week and so are 60/40 about joining the cruise down to Southwold. Ann would really like to as she is chomping at the bit to put that newly qualified day-skipper ticket to good use!!

:lol: Nice one Jonathan :clap

We were intending to get to Lowestoft on Saturday, but pressure of work means we may have to delay a day, but we'll definately be down before Monday!

If we are all rafted out, are we able to get electricity and water??

Water and electric are both available (long lead for electric) Electric is often shared and limited.

Jonathan

Now there was me planning to book Haven bridge for Sunday to trundle down the outside to Lowestoft.... A quick check of Windguru reckons 2.8m wave height though :o . Guess I might be booking Mutford instead and checking tide times at Somerleyton :(

Still to early to say but the 2.5m is offshore and if the wind is out SW to NW close inshore should be fine,

Most are showing NW so assuming an 11am bridge at Breydon you will have a following sea and wind over tide, should still give a 20 knot plus sea. :Stinky

I couldn't work out how a NW could generate such a swell, but as you say, I didn't realise these were offshore heights. I think I will book a Sunday bridge tomorrow afternoon and just take a chance. If the worst comes to the worst a quick about face and a night at Town Hall quay could be on the cards :roll:

think we are going to book a saturday Breydon lift and down to RNSYC. If southwold then looks dicey, we can at least go inland to places we cant currently get too!! two guns

How far "offshore" is offshore by the way???

lb :pirate :pirate :pirate

think we are going to book a saturday Breydon lift and down to RNSYC. If southwold then looks dicey, we can at least go inland to places we cant currently get too!! two guns

How far "offshore" is offshore by the way???

lb :pirate :pirate :pirate

Approximately 1metre Adam :lol:

Don't know the exact position Adam but Oil Platforms and wave buoys normally.

May be worth checking with RNSYC if they have any space too, likely to be very busy

Thanks Ian, we got in last weekend and I have never seen it as busy, every space taken by a large Dutch contingency all 3/4 abreast and also rafted out 3 deep on the end pontoon and the fuel pontoon. So, will give it a go, if all else fails, will go through to Haven and possibly try the new owners of the Go Fish.

Just to put a bit of a spanner in the works, Wind Guru and Magic seaweed are surfers sites and very accurate they are too, but they relate to conditions close inshore, ie just off the beach.

I think this weekend will be very iffy.

We are planning to go to the Orwell again on Sunday and lay to a mooring buoy returning on Monday. The Synoptic chart shows a very nasty Low heading our way for Late Monday so I am treating the weekend with caution. May all change yet.

There are plenty of Berths at the Haven Marina and The Third crossing is excellent , but very busy, The cruising club are having a BYO Barbeque on Saturday night, with a lateish bar!

If we can get away, then we will do so, but don't forget, you have to come back again.

Paul