Roadworks Affecting The Broads 2018

TheQ

Well this is my new thread now the NDR is open, to allow  members to warn others of road works affecting the Broads,   journeys to the Broads, and the surrounding area.

So first up the long term one promised to be finished By 2019

The traffic lights and narrowed roads  around the Cremmated Swan Pub at Ingham. Sometimes you arrive and the lights are set to "see you" and change when you arrive to let you through, sometimes they are set for defined period Green to let you through,  this creating a traffic jam at a minor cross roads with very little traffic.

There has been work going on at the pub for some weeks now but no sign of any work on the adjoining properties yet.

The Second warning is in Wroxham half way between the bridges just down hill of the flower shop, thery're diging up the pavement / kerbstone but have taken half the road with lights, yesterday it was causing a tailback toward the river bridge. I suspect at peak times it will cause tailbacks in both directions.

Ha, went home via Wroxham yesterday and the queues were back to both bridges at around 15:30, they've put a temporary pedestian crossing lights in the middle of the road works,. what the queues are like at rush hour I dread to think. If I remember I'll be going home via Coltishall tonight.

Just now, Broads01 said:

What's the NDR? 

NDR= The Northern Distributer Road, Aka The Broadland Northway, aka the A1270, aka the Road to Nowhere, aka Norwich Northern bypass with added roundabouts.

The last currently built section was opened Tuesday morning, the campaign to build the missing link back to the A47 has started, so it will be to road to somewhere..

• Thanks 1

The roads works in Wroxham have switched side of the road, and the chicane has disappeared. The evidence from the work they have done so far is, it's a raised section of pavement with bumpy slabs for buses to stop at... I expect the work to last another coule more days.

For added fun on Horning Road West, at the  junction with Tunstead road there is another set of road works. causing traffic to back up to the railway bridge and the Stalham road.

Not yet road works but they will be, at the double mini roundabout in Hoveton there is water coming out of the ground up one of the legs of the fences, they recently replaced after vehicle damage. I get the felling they went a bit deep....

25 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

296903487_SundaymorninginPeyriac.thumb.jpg.2abbfb6f3d181f2892f91774436d67ac.jpg

More traffic jams in our village this morning!

I can remember the same scene in Norwich,  many years ago now. Cattle would be driven from Trowse up towards Bracondale, down Ber Street and to the Norwich market.

Then a few hundred yards away, in a different direction Carrow bridge would lift and get stuck.  At Thorpe Narrows a double decker bus and a coach would try to pass each other and get stuck. All good fun on a Saturday morning. These were proper traffic jams.

Andrew

Andrew

Edited by Wussername
Typo
  • Like 1

Well the Road works in Wroxham have gone, the only Sheep that may be hurt will be pedestrians who don't use the newly built pedestrian crossing.

Yes I thought they were building a bus stop, but no, it's a traffic lighted pedestrian crossing, that will bring more joy to those caught in the queues to the Roys Pedestrian crossing..

• 2 weeks later...

There are new Road works on the Wroxham Road,  I was dodging traffic at the time of going round the NDR roundabout so I didn't read the full sign, But I believe the exit for Wroxham off the old outer ring road is closed with divertions via Coltishall road.

And a heads up for future real chaos, As you leave wroxham the ramp up to the railway bridge as it curves onto the bridge is collapsing slowly, a definate dip has formed and is getting bigger daily, the road surface is cacking up. With access to do the work limited. I suspect that they'll have to close the bridge entirely...

On 22/04/2018 at 10:18, Vaughan said:

296903487_SundaymorninginPeyriac.thumb.jpg.2abbfb6f3d181f2892f91774436d67ac.jpg

More traffic jams in our village this morning!

When we used to travel extensively in SW France and the Pyrenees we would often be held up by the movement of sheep. The scrawny type, much removed from, say, our Southdowns. This caused my late wife, Judith, to declare a new geneous "Shoat" as she decided they were neither sheep or goat.

51 minutes ago, TheQ said:

There are new Road works on the Wroxham Road,  I was dodging traffic at the time of going round the NDR roundabout so I didn't read the full sign, But I believe the exit for Wroxham off the old outer ring road is closed with divertions via Coltishall road.

And a heads up for future real chaos, As you leave wroxham the ramp up to the railway bridge as it curves onto the bridge is collapsing slowly, a definate dip has formed and is getting bigger daily, the road surface is cacking up. With access to do the work limited. I suspect that they'll have to close the bridge entirely...

The roadworks are on the roundabout outside the brickmakers pub, overnight from 19:00 all this week. You can go round the ring road on traffic lights, but not turn up  Wroxham road or down towards the City.

• 2 months later...

As of 06:15 this morning there were manually controlled  stop go signs on Hoveton / Wroxham Bridge. Other men were inspecting the wall of the bridge by the New Restaurant. It looks like something has hit the parapet hard...

• Sad 1