Broom Scorpio

LondonRascal

7 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

It sure is, but too much boat - I don't need beds and a hob sort of thing, just a simple 'open' boat for a bit of fun and going places in for a few hours. The more I look and read the more I am going off the idea based simply and strangely for me, practicality reasons.

When you say simple, do you mean this:

http://www.jonesboatyard.co.uk/boat-sales/kruger-lambda-boat-for-sale-6795.html

or is that too far the other way?

Kruger-Lambda-boat-for-sale-gallery-6795_3-800.jpg

Hi Alan, I've always loved the classic Italian style speedboat. Unless I start buying a lottery ticket I don't think I will be having one and a bit overkill just to cross the river at Thorpe. It would certainly turn some heads though.

Robin what about a dory with a wheel helm rather than tiller steer. Same length as a speedboat but with much more room.

Colin:default_beerchug:

2 hours ago, Islander said:

Hi Alan, I've always loved the classic Italian style speedboat. Unless I start buying a lottery ticket I don't think I will be having one and a bit overkill just to cross the river at Thorpe. It would certainly turn some heads though.

Robin what about a dory with a wheel helm rather than tiller steer. Same length as a speedboat but with much more room.

Colin:default_beerchug:

Hi Colin on your travels on the Broads did you ever see that well appointed day boat from Brundall, it used to be moored on a raft in front of  one of the bungalows on the riverfront, I have not see it for a couple of years, I used to give the owner a wave as we went past. I am sorry but I never knew his name, a nice old guy we once met at Horning. The inside of the boat was plush red velvet and reminded me of a Gondolier.

Regards

Alan

12 hours ago, Islander said:

If you want a Broom with a bit of comfort then the Capricorn is a roomy boat and the 4.3l v6 merc should cope with the tides here :default_biggrin:.

Or you could go for one of these if you want to be noticed.image.thumb.jpeg.8905dbcad801f1cc874d58b193d5e7c0.jpeg

The Gemini actually made a perfect picnic boat. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but some of the boats had front seats that could be turned to face aft for picnicking.

Should you decide to buy one of these classic Brooms then please take a close look at the floor. Some didn't have marine ply. Repairable but time consuming. If the carpet is badly fitted it was the one I did. The glue was good though.

Happy hunting.

Colin:default_stinky:

I think think the thread discussing classic day boats was finalised with the picture of a Riva Aquarama. A friend of mind was invited for a ride in one, on condition that there were no zips or metal buttons on her clothes and rings, watches and shoes had to removed.

There is one for sale right now a cool £1,770,931 slightly used of course.

Hi Alan, I must admit I don't remember the boat you refer to but I'm sure I would if I saw it again. More recently, how is this for a picnic boat.image.thumb.jpeg.ec90562794f953884d54b0aedc7b8f40.jpeg

I've been told it's all electric and moors in Brundall.

The boat without windows is Lady Linda....still work in progress

Colin

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I sold my Scorpio last year after owning it for a year. 

A lovely boat but I found it totally impractical. Unstable on boarding, difficult to move about on and horrible in the rain. Not a boat suitable for the broads in my opinion. 

I sold mine for £4000 which seems to be what a good one goes for. 

I now have a 17ft seamaster ( 1965), which is a great all round day boat.

Chris

3 hours ago, Grainside said:

I sold my Scorpio last year after owning it for a year. 

A lovely boat but I found it totally impractical. Unstable on boarding, difficult to move about on and horrible in the rain. Not a boat suitable for the broads in my opinion. 

I sold mine for £4000 which seems to be what a good one goes for. 

I now have a 17ft seamaster ( 1965), which is a great all round day boat.

Chris

I find mine the exact opposite,  I do have an upholstered box to step on when getting onboard,  it doubles as a seat and storage. I am no lightweight but find adjusting my weight rather than hopping on helps. Not had a problem with rain ingress except a little around the screen in heavy rain.