Broom Scorpio

LondonRascal

Having read peoples responses and looked again I am leaning toward not going for this one - the reason is I have seen other websites who have had actual Scorpio's sold for around the price sought for the Gemini I am interested in, and Gemini's for far less and their condition looked much the same.

I suspect that this needed a little TLC and Sutton Staithe Boatyard have worked a little magic and made her look the fine example she is and because of that and because of their costs in so doing, I feel the boat is attracting a premium in the way the boat is cosmetically, and glossing over the relatively small powered outboard for this type of boat.

There was a link above to a Scorpio that is up for sale for £1,000 - but needs a great deal of time spent to bring her up to the type of finish as the Gemini for sale is. I did find another Gemini in Norwich for £2,995 - https://boats-from.co.uk/not-specified/broom-gemini-classic-speed-boat-74729

She looks bang on 1970's in style and colour:

74729-67215.jpg

But while she has a larger 40HP engine - it is also of the era (though said to be running fine) but is only a 2 stroke. So you it all seems to be swings and roundabouts - win somewhere on price in an area, loose out elsewhere so far as engine.

The main issue I am going to have in all honesty is keeping it somewhere for easy use. Since I pay for 65ft of mooring, there is a chance I could just stick the Gemini behind Indy and be allowed without additional charge. Alternatively I may be able to get a bit of a 'deal' where since it is small it would not cost me a great deal more over and above my annual mooring fees. The other alternative is you keep it on the hard on a trailer - but then since I am not yet driving it will be just another thing sat waiting for the time to come to be able to launch it and use.

Perhaps these things are most on my mind than the actual boat and why I am being unusually relaxed and not jumping in quickly. 

Some replies to points:

2 hours ago, Broads01 said:

Robin, do you have to keep the rib on top of Indy? Could you berth it somewhere else where it would be immediately accessible?  

I don't need to keep it on top of Indy, but since I have a permanent connection for the battery charger and having shelled out for a new battery, cover and straps I like the fact it is all there - it also is included in the main insurance premium for Indy so long as she remains usually kept with the 'mother ship'.

2 hours ago, NeilB said:

If the jet rib is proving to be next to useless for your requirements why not sell it and use the funds for a nice day boat?  The space could be used for a small dinghy at a fraction of the price if you still want a tender for Indy.

Because it was included in the package when I bought Indy I would like to keep it as so during my ownership. Sure I could let it go, but I like to think that the work I have put into it so far means someone else down line may appreciate it being there. It is more a case of me being a moaner and lazy taking 20 minutes to get the RIB up and out over the side and into the water. I am sure given the choice between small outboard powered dinghy of Willaims RIB a lot of boat boat owners would like the Williams if they had space for it on their boat and was given to them for nothing.

Also in reality I doubt I ever need a Tender - I see countless boats with them but so very rarely ever see them being put to their intended use especially since most motorboater's prefer a quay to tie up to and not anchor off and head in to a place perhaps as often as like as Sailors do.

• Thanks 1

I have always admired those Scorpios for their style but im not too sure about practicality, they seem a bit like sitting in a car in terms of the seating which might become a bit annoying if you want to spend much time in one, on a boat I like to be able to move around a bit more.

Also, I'm sure you are already aware but will say it anyway, depending on the weight of the boat n trailer and tow car you may need to do the additional trailer test if you go for hardstanding type storage.

With regard to the engine power requirements, where theres a choice I'd usually go for a bit than you need on the better to have n not need principle. Also a speed boat always looks a bit daft with a tiddly motor on it imho

• Like 2

I've come to a conclusion - I will do nothing for now.

If I do make a move, then I rather like the 'retro' model that is in that deep yellow colour which just shouts 1970's. I found out this was bought some time ago in a more sorry state through Boatshed Norfolk and has had some cosmetic attention by the current owner to bring her to the standard we see today. The engine remains unchanged however.

It is not anti-fouled which is to be expected for a boat that generally spends little time in the water. If I was to go down this route, then I would intend to keep the boat in the water and therefore would require anti-fouling. The boat would then spend the winter on the hard.

So for the time being let me just put this on the back burner.

• Like 1

It looks pretty original, nothing fancy at all - but original gel coat, a small 9.9Hp 4 stroke (no sliding canopy). Recent work has been done on her, polished, outboard service, anti fouled and comes with trailer too. Nice little package:

Sc2.thumb.jpg.0f7fc1a2d7aceadc798282656e6c9160.jpg

Sc3.thumb.jpg.bab2f626061faa1013ddfead220ff4aa.jpg

Sc1.thumb.jpg.8422f09f84c2e3a6b15ddf7d5d479349.jpg

I know you can only use one thing at one time, but you can also use one thing on one day and another on another day - some have a collection of motorbikes others cars neither are my cup of tea, but boats? Yes they are.

What began wondering and then looking at this was popping out last weekend looking for a day boat to hire - then finding they were all booked up (of course they would be, it was a hot bank holiday weekend). The RIB on Indy was a freebie with the boat and is proving annoying. Not only the engine situation but the launching and recovery needs a lot of time, care and the canopy sides all taking up on the sun deck and whatever you do having to repeat the whole exercise afterwards.   It also is very tiny indeed and has a number of impracticalities - take a passenger and where do you put the mooring lines?  They don't show any of this in the sale brochures!

Lets face it the sole purpose of the Williams is to have some fun in a nice sheltered Cove somewhere at anchor on a summers day, or get to shore and back to the 'mother ship' - even better if you have a large boat with a crew who can sort all the faffing about out and put it in the garage. Using it on the Broads it is like going on a long distance journey on a sports motorbike - doable, fast too but no doubt a right back ache inducing annoying ride after a couple of hours.

So, I looked at small day boats  - there not that cheap for something about as attractive as slab sided block of flats. There is a Rapier mind you in Horning,  complete with two beds, a sink and hob (you kneel down to use) and a porta-poti that has been up for sale for months. If you want super super small weekender this might be the ticket.

I could get something like a small Shetland, a Bayliner  or even a Glastron - complete with a massive inboard petrol engine offering bonkers speeds but boy would that bring headaches on a number of levels not least they are fast and fun but not small and lightweight.

What if you just wanted to pootle along the river to a pub? Or drop a mud weight on a Broad and have a little picnic on the boat, sit down after without a care in the world and read a book as you gently pivot at anchor in the breeze.  I can see that being possible in the Scorpio. It does not get much more basic of  a boat unless you get a dinghy with an outboard on the back, and is this particular one is not going to need me to strip layers of old paint, re-line the interior with carpet and flooring and then source a outboard. It seems to have it all there and ready to go in a pretty original form.

I have to say it feels really tempting and also really stupid all in equal measure and this is the problem - its not owning it so much, using it and so on it is what the hell do I do about keeping it. I am not sure my poor mother is going to fancy it being kept on their driveway - I already have my car I can't drive kept there.  But as of 30th May I will have a lot more time on my hands as I am giving up the job and can mess about in boats a bit more so this 'pre-midlife crisis' I seem to be going through seems to be moving to new levels.

Pre-midlife crisis, or living the dream?!!! Messing about with boats definitely sounds like living the dream....enjoy!

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

59 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

What's wrong with using 'B.A' as a 'Day Boat'? 

Nothing much at all - but I think the fact is that I am looking for something, something different, something to provide freedom or 'immediate satisfaction'. That is why I am being a tad more cautious..? And not rushing things because I am trying to go over the larger picture and not the 'right now'.

B.A. is a very different emotional feeling for me and represents something deeper I guess. The idea of a very basic, but nice looking little runabout appealed mainly because it looks good and does not cost a great deal. Something like an actual day boat does not look very nice and sleek, yet costs more. Anything bigger will make me want to start doing things and then get torn between this boat and that..I will see, I do like that Yellow one but don't like the big 40Hp 2 stroke outboard.

I am too choosy lol

Robin, having suffered the pain of too many boats, how about looking at just getting a GRP inflatable RIB with a 9.9 on the back and sticking on the back of Indy, there are lots of accessories out there which makes something like a small(er) lighter RIB easy to launch and recover from davits of swimdeck.. Get a decent console one and it makes for a good tender.  We have always had a RIB on the back at home and it takes seconds to launch and is nice for a quick run out when you want to.. Although cost wise you will be looking at the same price.. again you wont have the insurance worry as it's a tender and if you consider the amount of use you really will get out of it it's easy to dispose of once bored.   We recently considered moving over to a small boat tender here but went back to the RIB idea. 

However saying this the teak carpet looks lovely in these old boats... doesn't it Mark... now where's that before and after picture of a certain Broom Scorpio... 

• Haha 1

Well, it had to happen. I had a peek into the world of 15 to 16 foot 'speed boats' . Oh. My. God.

Well let's just say this, you can sure get some fun toys for not a lot of money if you want to bring some of these boats back to life, you can also spend  quite spectacular amounts for brand new models.

I have found Fletcher boats seem to have a lot of choice in terms of models, prices and equipment - but I really rather like a 15ft model from 2000 with 196hrs on it's Mercury Black Max outboard which is rated at 90hp (alas a 2 stroke again). Originally used once for a film shoot and kept undercover since. Perfect condition.

Flet 1.jpg

Flet 2.jpg

Flet 4.jpg

Flet 3.jpg

It comes it at double the cost of the Gemini but looks about four times the boat. I need to look away now and get on with something else to distract me.

7 minutes ago, JawsOrca said:

Robin, having suffered the pain of too many boats, how about looking at just getting a GRP inflatable RIB with a 9.9 on the back and sticking on the back of Indy, there are lots of accessories out there which makes something like a small(er) lighter RIB easy to launch and recover from davits of swimdeck..

Which is exactly what Indy had from new and what the previous owner set about removing. Indy originally had hydraulic raising mounts that would come out the swim platform to cradle the smaller RIB. These were all removed and brand new Teak laid across the platform making the space more usable (and it is great for stern on or just getting down to the water point not stepping over a RIB there).

I am as I say being a bit lazy and now turning crazy with the above post. Something leads to something else...I can't get rid of the Williams it just feels too much part of the boat overall but anything else could be perfect for a bit of fun for a year before the novelty wears off and move it on.

Can I be impatient and ask why exactly did you purchase the sheerline ? , from what I remember without checking that was supposed to be the craft that could be called upon at short notice , easy n quick to get out on the river etc , OK its shared but so is BA , I ain't telling you your business but I doubt another boat will make a difference to anything other than expenditure , one thing I do know is you pick a boat to do a certain job , day boat , river boat or sea boat , OK you can do the sea n river bit with one boat but that's probably going to be too big to be a day boat hence the tender , that's what tenders do , open up new area's to people, they are not something destined purely for the med lots of people use them from their boats on the broads I'm one of them , I can sail it , row it or shove the outboard on , will take 6 adults under power n only requires a 3-6 HP outboard so days out either at the pub or fishing etc are fun n cost next to nowt even with the suddenly frowned upon 2 stroke   but my point is this a day boat is a pretty simple craft , it does what it says on the tin n does it well , outboard wise if yiu use it a lot and don't need to remove the engine the a 4 stroke is best , anything larger than 20hp on 2 stroke form has a resale value of not much and parts can be hard to find , none of this is  applied to the smaller 2 strokes for which the is still a healthy market and spares , 40 hp 2 stroke runs at about 4 gallons an hr at higher speeds and will soot up the plugs if running slowly , then again what do I know ? , well enough to give a bigger 2 stroke a wide berth and go for the 4 stroke boat its more than capable of what I think ( guess ) you want out of the boat but if to be honest I think Trixie was supposed to fit this bill .

10 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

Well, it had to happen. I had a peek into the world of 15 to 16 foot 'speed boats' . Oh. My. God.

Well let's just say this, you can sure get some fun toys for not a lot of money if you want to bring some of these boats back to life, you can also spend  quite spectacular amounts for brand new models.

I have found Fletcher boats seem to have a lot of choice in terms of models, prices and equipment - but I really rather like a 15ft model from 2000 with 196hrs on it's Mercury Black Max outboard which is rated at 90hp (alas a 2 stroke again). Originally used once for a film shoot and kept undercover since. Perfect condition.

Flet 1.jpg

Flet 2.jpg

Flet 4.jpg

Flet 3.jpg

It comes it at double the cost of the Gemini but looks about four times the boat. I need to look away now and get on with something else to distract me.

Before you go and buy one of these Dear Chap - may i suggest a car with a tow bar first :default_biggrin:

finny

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

Flet 1.jpg

Flet 2.jpg

Flet 4.jpg

Flet 3.jpg

Fabulous a boat from a film shoot eh , my narrow boat was on the local news twice  and used for " where the heart is " didn't increase its value nor does a 90hp 2 stroke , you run one for a year n pretty soon the penny drops , nice boat but not a day boat n never designed to be .

I am reluctant to proffer my suggestions as so much of this is a matter of taste and proposed usage, but as you are unlikely to be satisfied until you own more craft than Richardson's,  might I possibly suggest you consider something along the 'Orkney longliner' style. this is a boat that will serve you well if you're going to use it to bimble over to the pub from your mooring.

It holds it's value well (for when you get fed up with it)  It will handle a reasonable chop in the water, can easily be used as transport for several people to go to a barbeque spot and has many other qualities.

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder but it is a style I personally like.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ricardo said:

Can I be impatient and ask why exactly did you purchase the sheerline ?

The plan was for something small and easy to handle for my Mum and Simon to use that they could come to easily since they moved up from Uxbridge to Cambs and with more time on their hands be able to get out on the rivers more. Having bought it,  we are both of the view it may be a little too compact. In hindsight perhaps something more like an Ocean 30 would have been better, but I am going to see how we feel in 12 months time as to if it is a keeper or not.

It is a 'ready to go boat'  (or will be soon)  for them to use or me originally it was to be part funded by my Mum but in the end I have taken it all on and they are the main beneficiaries.

1 hour ago, Ricardo said:

one thing I do know is you pick a boat to do a certain job , day boat , river boat or sea boat , OK you can do the sea n river bit with one boat but that's probably going to be too big to be a day boat hence the tender , that's what tenders do , open up new area's to people, they are not something destined purely for the med lots of people use them from their boats on the broads I'm one of them

This all began last weekend when I was frustrated that I could not get on the water on a lovely day. It got so bad that next day I went off in search of hiring a day boat, alas without luck. For the remainder of the weekend I got thinking over and over on solutions to this. Yes, I have the Williams and yes had that been ready to go I would have no doubt got it down and used it - but it really is a very small 'toy boat'. Once you are in it moving about is very hard since the driver has their little spot and the passenger their seat and a small well for their feet.

A dinghy of the same dimensions would offer more actual usable space to put stuff as it would not have the centre area taken up by an inboard engine! Therefore if we wanted to go to Coldham Hall for a meal and then head back after the Williams might be ideal. If we wanted to go for a bit of a longer trip say down to the New Inn at Rockland, by the time you've got there you will be uncomfy having been sat in the same position unable to really move your legs for so long. Equally it does not really lend itself for a stop for a couple of hours on Bargate  - well it is doable at a pinch but hardly a comfortable place to 'while away the time'.

So my idea was to get some kind of open boat with an outboard on it. However, looking about at them and the costs, then looking at smaller 'day boats' or 'weekenders' they all seemed either a bit too much in size (I don't need sleeping accommodation) or for a boat that would get a few hours use on in a day too much money for what they were . Then I found the little Broom and thought it covered it all - cool looking, not much money and a heap of fun. Nice and basic, and would solve the itching to get on the water when I wanted to and yet have a more comfy seat and even space for a cool box!

So, where does that leave things now? Well. the Fletcher caught my eye as it is far newer, same actual length (15ft), has a nicer interior, a bit more 'leg room' and still has that  'head turning' factor. If (and it is a big if) I ever did go down this route I would simply get someone who collects and moves trailered boats to go an collect it, and bring it to the Marina.  I would get the bottom primed and antiflouled then swap the engine for a nice 4 stroke unit - Marine-Tech do some reasonable Mariner models I have found.

Once done, put it in the water and treat it thereon in as any other boat. Rather than keeping it somewhere and then launching it when needed, the recovering it, then putting it somewhere once again until the next time I would keep it in the water behind Indy.  in short the least amount of faffing about the better. Who does that with one of those boats? Who keeps on of those boats on a river? That would be me then. It is why I don't think i could ever 'pick a boat to do a certain job'.

I might find in 12 to 18 months time the novelty factor had gone and it was time for me to part company with it. Being a Gemini, I am impulsive do get bored easily and seek the next thing to get into - currently it is 'speed boats' the next thing on the horizon  could be sailing boats.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you want a Broom with a bit of comfort then the Capricorn is a roomy boat and the 4.3l v6 merc should cope with the tides here :default_biggrin:.

Or you could go for one of these if you want to be noticed.image.thumb.jpeg.8905dbcad801f1cc874d58b193d5e7c0.jpeg

The Gemini actually made a perfect picnic boat. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but some of the boats had front seats that could be turned to face aft for picnicking.

Should you decide to buy one of these classic Brooms then please take a close look at the floor. Some didn't have marine ply. Repairable but time consuming. If the carpet is badly fitted it was the one I did. The glue was good though.

Happy hunting.

Colin:default_stinky:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 40something said:

Great little boats the Norman 20's and this one looks to be in really good condition plus comes with a 30hp Honda engine

It sure is, but too much boat - I don't need beds and a hob sort of thing, just a simple 'open' boat for a bit of fun and going places in for a few hours. The more I look and read the more I am going off the idea based simply and strangely for me, practicality reasons.

8 hours ago, Islander said:

If you want a Broom with a bit of comfort then the Capricorn is a roomy boat and the 4.3l v6 merc should cope with the tides here :default_biggrin:.

Or you could go for one of these if you want to be noticed.image.thumb.jpeg.8905dbcad801f1cc874d58b193d5e7c0.jpeg

The Gemini actually made a perfect picnic boat. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but some of the boats had front seats that could be turned to face aft for picnicking.

Should you decide to buy one of these classic Brooms then please take a close look at the floor. Some didn't have marine ply. Repairable but time consuming. If the carpet is badly fitted it was the one I did. The glue was good though.

Happy hunting.

Colin:default_stinky:

Hi Colin what a beautiful craft.

Regards

Alan