Horsey Staithe Temporary Closure

johnm

Just been up to Horsey and spotted this sign announcing the closure of Horsey Staithe 2 September - 23 November 2018.

Work commences on Monday morning with the dyke being netted to remove fish before it is dammed either side of the works area and that section drained to allow access. This is to repair/replace a drainage culvert that runs under the dyke and has been on the cards for some time but it looks as though all the stars have now aligned!

Local boats are all moved out onto temporary pontoons just outside the dyke.

DSC_0837.JPG

• Thanks 3

The sign says that temporary moorings are provided on the mere but the ones that I saw with all the local boats that usually moor in the dyke had a sign saying private moorings.

I'm back up there tomorrow recovering the boat, which son is using as lodgings whilst working the Nelson Head beer festival, and will try and discover what arrangements are in place for visiting boats.

Thank you John.

I spoke to a lady at the staithe store and she said that some temporary pontoon moorings will be available for hire boats too, stern on, but I am not sure how many boats there will be room for. I am going to try it the week after next and will report back too.

On leaving the dyke today I took the attached which shows the temporary pontoons that have been put in place. I have also been told that visiting boats will be able to moor stern on but I'm not sure where. 

DSC_0838.JPG

Horsey Mere

Horsey MereHorsey Mere is a particularly sensitive part of the Upper Thurne, supporting some of the largest populations of wild migratory water birds.  Between the start of November and the end of February boat access on the mere is limited to navigation between the end of Meadow Dyke and the Staithe. Anglers can also use a small area in the southern part of the mere as long as they get a permit first. More information is on the Thurne Fisheries website.

Natural England sees any boating or fishing outside these areas as likely to disturb waterfowl and therefore an offence under the Wildlife and Countryside Act.

In the past much of the disturbance caused by boaters has been due to lack of awareness of the rules so we have put up a sign at the entrance to Candle Dyke asking boat users not to access the mere during the sensitive period.

The designated areas for fishing are under continual review. However, at this moment in time it is Natural England’s view that any fishing outside of the permitted area could cause disturbance to the waterfowl.

Well the above is from the Broads Authority website but also refers to Natural England .

Thank you again John for the pontoon photo, I will give it a try when up there.

Best wishes

Charles

2 hours ago, charlesa said:

Horsey Mere is a particularly sensitive part of the Upper Thurne, supporting some of the largest populations of wild migratory water birds.  Between the start of November and the end of February boat access on the mere is limited to navigation between the end of Meadow Dyke and the Staithe. Anglers can also use a small area in the southern part of the mere as long as they get a permit first. More information is on the Thurne Fisheries website.

Natural England sees any boating or fishing outside these areas as likely to disturb waterfowl and therefore an offence under the Wildlife and Countryside Act.

In the past much of the disturbance caused by boaters has been due to lack of awareness of the rules so we have put up a sign at the entrance to Candle Dyke asking boat users not to access the mere during the sensitive period.

The designated areas for fishing are under continual review. However, at this moment in time it is Natural England’s view that any fishing outside of the permitted area could cause disturbance to the waterfowl.

This subject has been discussed on various occasions over the years. I see this statement from the Broads Authority as just another of their misinformative scaremongering statements.

Perhaps Wildfuzz would like to correct me, but I believe the only part of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981which could apply to this situation is section 1 (5), which states:

Subject to the provisions of this Part, if any person intentionally or recklessly —

(a)disturbs any wild bird included in Schedule 1 while it is building a nest or is in, on or near a nest containing eggs or young; or

(b)disturbs dependent young of such a bird,

he shall be guilty of an offence.

Note the 'intentionally or recklessly'. Those are ingredients of the offence that would have to be proved, beyond all reasonable doubt. The mere presence of a boat on the mere would not be sufficient to sustain a conviction.

The only Schedule 1 birds that might be found around the mere are Avocet,  Bittern,  Harriers, Kingfisher, Bewick's Swan, Whooper Swan, and Terns (Black Little and Roseate). Can anyone here confirm exactly which ones overwinter on the mere? 

The BA screed specifically mentions “migratory water birds”, so those birds will not be building any nests, laying eggs, or raising any young, so I would very much like to know exactly what offence Natural England thinks might be committed by anyone venturing onto Horsey Mere between November and February.

I believe that many of the problems related to Horsey Mere stemmed from illegal fishing, and that the ‘voluntary’ agreement to limit winter access was a compromise agreed between those parties most concerned (but not including boaters). I am content that such an agreement should be in place, but am not so happy that such a big stick is being waved.

There is a right of navigation on Horsey Mere, which is not time-limited, nor confined to a narrow arbitrarily-marked channel.

Returning to the statement “Natural England sees any boating or fishing outside these areas as likely to disturb waterfowl and therefore an offence under the Wildlife and Countryside Act,“ it is not for Natural England to determine what is, or isn’t an offence. While NE may commence proceedings for an alleged offence, it is a matter for the court to decide whether or not an offence has been committed.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

The BA were charged with keeping the navigation open, e.g. having such as that chain removed. Alacrity on their part was hardly to the fore on that occasion. The Authority resorted to threats of fines of up to twenty thousand pounds as an alternative deterant, and as I have already said, showed their true colours.

• Like 1

Thank you Chris very helpful. I am on Juliette on my own from this Saturday for a week and definitely will be trying to moor here for a couple of nights. Gawd knows how I am going to manage it though !!

I will keep you posted. Hopefully Ross will be there to give me a hand......

Best wishes

Charles